“The Secret Garden”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the outside, this hotel looks like many others but when you walk through the doors it's something special.

The staff were warm, welcoming and thoughtful, and very accommodating for our three year old. In the room, they left him a toy, mini slippers and a mini bathrobe! In the evening we ate at the Blue Door Bistro and they brought his dinner as soon as it was ready.

For adults, this hotel is a little sanctuary. There are conservatories, wood decks and a terrace overlooking Bedford Gardens. We had breakfast outside on the terrace one morning - what better way to start the day. We were too early in the summer, but we read that they have bbqs in the summer - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Room 216 caused even our son to say 'Wow' as he walked in. Split over three levels overlook...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank S G
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you found the Montague to be ‘something special’. Our staff take pride in all they do and it is always pleasing to receive such positive comments as yours. We like to ensure that our younger guests have a great stay with us too and so I am delighted that your 3 year old enjoyed the gifts and amenities we provided for him. I am equally pleased that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro and that it was a good experience.

Your lovely feedback that the staff were warm, welcoming and thoughtful are most appreciated and I will be pleased to share this with the team.

I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast on the Terrace and I do hope that you have the chance to return to enjoy a BBQ meal on our Wood Deck in the summer.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Montague on The Gardens

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Montague for our 20th Anniversary and took advantage of the 3 for 2 junior suite offer in May.Our room was small for a junior suite but beautifully decorated and laid out.
We ate in the restaurant on our anniversary night and the food was delicious.We returned to our room to find a card and the room decorated with candles and rose petals.Unlike another reviewer i thought.this was very nice and that the staff had put themselves out to do this.It was much appreciated.Throughout our stay ALL the staff were so helpful and efficient,always had a smile and nothing was too much trouble.
Every evening we returned to our room there were nibbles to tempt us which were beautifully presented and new bottles of water.
The hotel has a small bar which is cosy and an outside eating area which will be lovely in the summer.We go to London twice a year and have tried lots of London hotels but never have we had service like this.I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to London.Thankyou for a lovely start to our 20th Anniversary holiday.

2  Thank 1834jules_philip

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and made your 20th Anniversary stay an occasion to remember.

I am thrilled that you dined in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro and that you found the food to be delicious. I will share your positive feedback with the Executive Chef and his team.

I am equally thrilled that you enjoyed the romantic turndown we prepared and that you felt the staff were helpful, efficient and that nothing was too much trouble for them. We are very proud of our team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Your kind comment that our bar is cosy is most appreciated and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the summer so that you can experience dining on our Wood Deck or Terrace.

Thank you for your recommendation to others, I hope that you return to the Montague again in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had been invited to afternoon tea with a group of friends at the weekend, the service was outstanding and the food was out of this world. Andrew and Garcia were very attentive and the hotel surroundings were superb.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant afternoon tea experience with us. I am delighted that you felt the service was outstanding and that the food was ‘out of this world’.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is positive to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that Andrew and Garcia were attentive during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Came here on Saturday for a pre wedding treat with family and friends. The hotel was beautiful and the staff were all very welcoming, the afternoon tea was lovely and very tasty! Andrew and Garcia in particular were very friendly and helpful, they really did make my day that bit more special. Thank you for a fantastic time, it will definitely be a day to remember.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

I am thrilled that you had a fantastic time at the Montague when you came for afternoon tea. I am especially delighted that Andrew and Garcia were very friendly and helpful; making your day truly special.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. Your kind comments that the afternoon tea was lovely and very tasty are also most appreciated.

I shall ensure that your feedback is shared with the staff and that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I visited the hotel this weekend with a group for afternoon tea, for a pre-wedding celebration. Both Garcia and Andrew were very welcoming and could not have provided a better service. The afternoon tea was great, lots of varity and plenty for eveyone. Would highly recommend this tea to anyone. Thank you for a great afternoon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guests,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent visit.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the afternoon tea you experienced with us as part of a pre-wedding celebration.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that Andrew and Garcia were particular welcoming and provided excellent service.

Your kind comments that the selection was varied and plentiful are most appreciated.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had just finished an enjoyable tour of the WW! battlefields of Northern France with "The Backroads Touring Company " and boarded the Eurostar in Lille ( why have i not used this wonderful train before).Arrived at St Pancras in London and a five minute tax ride and we were checking into The Montague on the Gardens opposite The British Museum .A very English Hotel
with helpful staff ,we had taken advantage of the 3 nights for 2 junior suite offer. Our room was comfortable and a reasonable size for London. A nice bar and a good restaurant ,we enjoyed our stay there,particularly as we had booked a number of West End shows and found we could walk to all from the Hotel and either walked back or took one of the many buses heading close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Just a tad noisy overlooking the street at times and a room over the gardens may be a better bet if...
3  Thank birchgrovesydney

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us after your tour of Northern France. It is wonderful to read that you found your allocated room to be comfortable and of a reasonable size.

Your kind comments that the staff were helpful are most appreciated and I will be pleased to share this with the team.

I am equally happy that you had the opportunity to experience the Terrace Bar and Blue Door Bistro and that you felt they were nice.

I do hope that you join us at the Montague again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just returned from a ten night trip to Europe. Our first stop was London for four days, and we stayed at the Montague. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. The service was impeccable, our room was well appointed, the bar was cozy and perfect, etc. Although the room was small, we were expecting as much (and it was about twice the size of the walk-in closet we stayed in in Paris). A few things:

(1) Our visit came with an afternoon tea. I am vegan and so expected to have only tea. When the waitress asked if we had any dietary restrictions, she went well out of her way to make sure I would have something to eat. I was incredibly touched and impressed by this, as it is FAR from the norm.

(2) On our last night, there was a party going on in the basement and we could hear music from the party in our room. It wasn't overwhelmingly loud, but enough to make us have difficulty sleeping. A little before 11 p.m., we called the front desk to ask when/if it would stop or could be turned down. Not only did they turn the music down, they also sent us free wine for our "trouble." Again, MUCH appreciated.

(3) The location is great - a short walk to the Covent Garden area and close to several underground stops. We were able to walk to the sites, including the London Eye area. The British Museum is literally right around the corner.

(4) The entire hotel is so charming, from the bar, to the sun room, to the outdoor area, to the lobby. The staff really goes above and beyond to make sure your trip is enjoyable.

I only wish this had been our last, not our first, stop, as it made our experience at the remaining hotels we stayed at pale in comparison. We will be back.

2  Thank Izzie118

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay on the first part of your trip to Europe. Your kind comment that your experience at the other hotels during the reminder of the trip paled in comparison to the Montague is positive to know.

I would like to apologise for the disturbance you experienced on your last night, however I am glad that the team were able to assist and that this did not detract too much from your time with us.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to have afternoon tea with us and that we accommodated your dietary requirements. We like to ensure that every guest is happy with their visit and that they have everything they may need or want. We are very proud of our team who constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am pleased that you found your room to be impeccable and the decor throughout the hotel to be charming.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.