“Beautiful in every way”

Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beautiful in every way”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

From the location to the staff to our lovely room, it was all just perfect. This was a splurge for us and I think I cohkd get used to this lifestyle. Maybe just once every few years makes it even more special. A great experience in every way.

1 Thank lpennin104
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you had a perfect stay with us.

Our staff work hard to ensure that every guest has a great experience when staying at the Montague and so it is wonderful to read that their efforts have been noticed. Your positive comment provides great motivation for the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had the great pleasure of staying at the Montague in January. It was the result of a somewhat disappointing stay I had the prior year at their sister hotel the Rubens. I had made a small complaint at the front desk on checkout, and the management of the Red Carnation chain, surprisingly, actually followed up with me. This is a hotel chain that REALLY cares about their customers and their reputation. They offered me a free night stay at a sister hotel, so I chose the Montague when I had a business trip in January. I was treated like a princess, and that is not an exaggeration. They didn't just comp me a room, they gave me the Duchess Suite with free champagne and complimentary high tea. The room was delightful. The best thing about the Montague is the staff. Very professional, they spoke every language imaginable, kind, attentive, and friendly. I truly felt like they were my extended family (I stayed 4 days). The food at the restaurant, and the high tea, was simply amazing. The decoration is very olde fashioned and grand, but that's what I like about it. The location is fabulous, right next door to the British Museum in a very nice neighbourhood. I have stayed in London many times, and this was absolutely the best hotel experience I have ever had. And I don't think it was "put on" for me because I had previously complained about their other hotel. I believe this is how they treat all their guests, all the time. There is a lot of material around the hotel to read about their founder Bea Tollman and her principles for good service. The Montage and the The Red Carnation chain really do embody their own mission statement. In this day and age, it is a delight to experience a company that holds to its values, which is very clearly to put their customer first and give them a wonderful experience. While the hotel was expensive, as most are in London, I came away feeling like I had gotten the royal treatment, so I got what I paid for. Thank you Jonathan at Red Carnation and to all the staff for my wonderful stay. I am now a customer for life and will see you again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan S
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the room allocated to you.

Our staff take genuine pride in all they do and so it is always motivating to receive such lovely comments as yours. The team take genuine interest in every guest and they work hard to exceed their expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am especially pleased that you found them to be professional, linguistic, kind, attentive and friendly. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly noted.

I am equally delighted that you enjoyed your meal in The Blue Door Bistro and that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea. I will be happy to share this feedback with the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams, who will be most pleased.

At the Montague, we really do believe in our values to ensure that every guest has the most memorable stay with us.

It is wonderful to read that you feel we provided the best hotel experience you have had and that you are a customer for life. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights, celebrating our 25-year anniversary. We could not have made a better choice. Everything was top notch, from the check-in desk to the bell men to the management. We were treated like royalty from start to finish. Our classic King room was beautifully appointed, spotless and re-stocked every day. Several times during our stay the management and staff sent us special amenities to help celebrate our occasion.. Turn down service was always waiting for us upon our return from an evening out. Every staff member made us feel welcome; all were helpful and willing to go the extra mile to ensure our comfort. We appreciated all their efforts and appreciated the umbrellas always at the ready near the front door. The location between two tube stations, and walkablility to the theater district were helpful for our trip. They included complimentary bottled water in the room, as well as coffee, tea, fruit and breakfast bars outside the restaurant in the morning. We will be back and will recommend Montague on the Gardens to anyone travelling to London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

As much valued guests I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your 25th anniversary with us here at the Montague and that you were not disappointed with your choice of accommodation.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have a truly memorable and comfortable stay with us. I am pleased that they made you feel like royalty and assisted you during your time here. I am equally thrilled that you were happy with the turndown service we provided and the efforts of the staff, especially with regards to the umbrellas at the main door. Your kind feedback that the team were helpful and willing to go the extra mile is highly appreciated.

It is wonderful that you were pleased with the room allocated to you and that you enjoyed the amenities provided.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to other travellers. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The staff will exceed your every expectation, Daria the restaurant assistant Manager is very attentive to your dining experience, the food is outstanding and the afternoon Tea is a must. The hotel is in a great location just a 5 minute walk to the Russell Square tube location. The moment you walk into the Hotel you are treated like your one of the Royal Family. Good wine selection and Cigar selection..Rooms are very clean if you can ask for room #41, nice and big.. The Assistant Bar Manager is one of the best hospitality managers I have ever come across. I would like to acknowledge the following employees of the Montague on the Garden for their superior service...

Thomas
Naomi
Anja
Wayne
Kendal
Daria

Thanks for a most rememberable stay !!!!

We will book here again !!!

3 Thank Kevin Z
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you had a most memorable stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. It is wonderful to read that Daria, Tomasz, Noemi, Anja, Wayne and Kendra were particularly helpful during your time at the hotel. I shall ensure that all of your positive comments and praise are passed on to the team and their service is duly rewarded.

Your kind feedback that the food is outstanding and the afternoon tea is ‘a must’ is equally most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Montague had so many great reviews, that I decided to give it a try and change my usual business hotel in London. The first surprise was a letter that came by mail about a month prior to my stay, which kindly announced me that the hotel charged my entire stay in full well ahead of time. A first, really, as with my other hotel, the full payment is made upon completion of stay.
The second was the building/s - the celebrated Montague is a regular London hotel, with low ceilings, lowered even further by the stuffy decor. Staff? Let's just say the lady at the reception wanted to charge our credit card with the usual deposit although by then we had PAID the room in full for quite a while.
The room was crammed, with a huge sofa we had no need for taking up a lot of space. It smelled of cigarettes and cigarette smoke crept from underneath the door during the night although we were told the entire hotel was non-smoking. The bathroom smelled as well, I won't go into details here. One of the towels we had in the first day showed clear signs of being previously used.
During the last morning we wanted to try the breakfast, but stopped in time, as what we saw on the buffet was far from appealing.
The gym was also a joke, a small closet with two fitness equipments and a stack of towels.
The hotel is close to the British Museum and rather far from subway stations - but that's as much as we liked about it.

7 Thank VivianBucharest
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay, although I am sorry to read that we did not fully meet your expectations.

I was disappointed that you were surprised to have received a letter stating that you had been charged in full prior to arrival. As you had booked an advanced purchase offer, you received a discounted rate on the premises that it is non refundable and fully paid prior to arrival in order to receive this beneficial rate. This is clearly stated in the terms and conditions which you would have accepted when purchasing this offer. However, we will look to contact guests prior to doing this in the future.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse I was surprised to learn that you felt the ceilings in your room were too low. I can confirm that the ceiling is 3 metres in height. We also carry out regular soft refurbishments and change the room fabric every 3 – 5 years. The decor is in line with what we believe to be a traditional English boutique hotel which is what we market ourselves as. We do get great comments regarding how traditionally English our decor is.

We consistently receive brilliant feedback regarding our staff. However, I apologise if you felt that the staff member asking to take a pre-authorisation of your credit card to guarantee any extras during your stay (so that you may enjoy the hotels facilities at leisure) was inappropriate. This is a common practise for many hotels in London.

We do sincerely apologise for the incident regarding the smell of smoke. Unfortunately, on this occasion a guest chose to violate our non smoking policy. We did ensure that it was made clear to the guest that we are a strictly non smoking hotel. We enforce this policy as best we can and provide outside areas for guests to smoke however we cannot control every guest’s actions.

Regarding the issue of the bathroom, we appreciate your comments and have shared this with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am equally sorry that you did not take the opportunity to sample our breakfast. We only use fresh and local produce from reputable suppliers to ensure that our guests get the best quality.

I have also noted your comments with regards to the size of our fitness suite and I would like to thank you for this and apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. Unfortunately due to a lack of available space, we are unable to provide a larger fitness area within the hotel. We do have a partnership with the local gym and provide free day passes to any of our guests who would like a more intense workout.

I was sorry that The Montague did not meet your expectations and I hope that this did not detract too much from your stay in London.

Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for an extended weekend after some recommendations, and we weren't disappointed apart by the size of the room - more on that later.

The location of the hotel is excellent. A 5 minute walk to Russell Square tube stop and 8 minutes to the Holborn one. The British museum is across the street and by fine weather, Covent Gardens, Lester Square, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus and Charring Cross are all walkable.

The inside of the hotel is well kept. Hotel is very clean and welcoming with a lot of character to it. Apart from the hallways which are starting to show their age, everything is spotless.

Staff are very friendly and helpful. After a couple of days they will know your name and breakfast preferences, which is a nice touch. They are also quite knowledgeable of the English language, which can be an issue in the tourists' services department in London.

Food is very fresh and nice. The breakfast service is efficient and always with a smile; as said, service is one if not that strong points of the hotel. The daily baked treats from the kitchen awaiting in the drawing room are a delight and the lemonade is very refreshing.

Coming to the room issue. We stayed at the Classic King. The decor and amenities were excellent. The room was well kept and had everything you wish for, besides space. When booking this hotel you'll have to consider that the King Classic allows for very little room to walk about. So much so that two people cannot walk by the corridor, stand by the bed, or be in the bathroom at the same time. You will also not be able to keep you suite case open on the wrack but will have to unpack all cloths into the wardrobe and stow the suite case under the bed, so have every bit to essential space.

Conclusion, we will be back at the Montague, because we really enjoyed their hospitality, but will book the Deluxe King, as the size of the room seems to be more adequate for 2 people.

Room Tip: The only room size acceptable is Deluxe King and above. All rooms below this category are too small...
2 Thank 559ThomasD
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your visit to the hotel.

I have noted your comments with regards to the room that was allocated to you and I would like to apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased that this did not detract too much from your stay with us and that you were not disappointed. I am pleased that you found the decor and amenities to be excellent in your room and that they had everything you may have needed during your time with us. I am equally delighted that you felt the Montague was welcoming; with a lot of character to it.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed breakfast with us in The Blue Door Bistro and that the pastries and lemonade in the lounge were delightful and refreshing.

Our staff take pride in all they do and so it is always pleasing to receive such positive comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were friendly, helpful and welcoming at breakfast. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Italy
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Overall a very positive experience. The staff at the Montague are its best feature, the service is what all hospitality staff should be aiming for.

Food is good, Breakfast was excellent and the fare in the restaurant for lunch and dinner also of a high standard.

The rooms are clean, but a little on the small side if you are sharing. wifi was free and fast during the whole stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Charlie3Zero
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and found your room to be clean. I am also happy that you were satisfied with the free Wi-Fi service that we offer.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding our staff. We invest heavily in training them to provide first class customer care to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. I am thrilled that you felt they were the best feature of the hotel. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile and I will ensure that their service is duly noted.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.