The Montague on The Gardens
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
US$203
4,485 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We really enjoyed out stay at the Montague. The staff was the best!!! They treated us like royalty. They always had smiles on their faces, always ready for recommendations for places to eat, how to get to various locations by taxi or train. We felt as if we knew them for years. We were lucky enough to get upgrades to a suite. The rooms are small but comfortable enough. Everything is kept very clean. We got breakfast everyday and afternoon tea once during our stay. Very lovely in very lovely rooms. There is a lovely garden where you can eat outside, but it was a bit cool during our stay. The location is around the corner from the British Museum but a bit away from the central sights. We did a lot of walking but also tooks taxis to the train station etc. Did the Hop on Hop off which was fun and a great way to get an overview of London. We were only there 3 1/2 days so we didn't get to see everything. We loved London and would come back again and probably stay here just for the service that the staff gives.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade as the rooms are small
2  Thank Barbara S
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you were treated like royalty.

Our staff like to ensure that every guest has a pleasant and memorable time at the Montague and so I am thrilled that they assisted with restaurant recommendations and were always happy. I will ensure that your positive feedback is shared with the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro. Your kind comment that it was ‘lovely in very lovely rooms’ is most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed there this past week, June 2014, to share a few days together for our 15th wedding anniversary. Although we did not tell anyone prior to our visit that it was for our anniversary, the general manager, Dirk Crokaert, had a basket of macaroons, biscuits, tea, candy and chocolate waiting for us when we checked in. There was even a bottle of champagne on ice! We were so surprised and felt very welcomed by it and the hand written note that accompanied it. Usually you received special attention like this when you make it aware that you are celebrating something special. It was so nice to receive it, just because.

The room, 329, featured gorgeous flowered print fabric wallpaper and a double sized bed. Those not familiar with Europe should note that the two beds do separate and are pushed together. This is common but is suprising if you aren't aware of it ahead of time. There was a desk, tv, two chairs and a small area towards the back accessable by a few steps that had a small couch and tv. The bathroom was spacious with a shower/tub and the walls were all mirrored. It was a large sized hotel room for Europe. The room was very quiet although you could hear people walking by the corridor if you were near the room door, but during the evening we had the windows open and could not hear anyone walking by outside or through the walls. It was very relaxing.

When we arrived, we were early and our bags were promptly taken to the holding area since we could not check in that early. Everyone on the staff from the doorman, to the hotel greeting staff to the staff we passed briefly in the hallway were courteous and helpful. We had an impression that they took pride in the hotel and wanted us to have a pleasant stay. Whenever we entered the hotel or left, we were always greeted.

The dining area was quite beautiful and although they offer a great afternoon tea, we were unable to experience that as we were too busy.

The hotel is a stone's throw from The British Museum, parks, several tube stations, great shopping on Oxford street, Covent Garden, Regents Park, and many wonderful pubs along the way. I highly suggest the "Skinners Arms" Pub on Judd Street as it is just a short walk from the hotel and is the perfect place for fish and chips.

I will note that a lot of American travelers were constantly taking cabs from this hotel. After living in London for several years (I am originally from America) I can tell you that the hotel staff can give you great directions and maps and it is unnecessary to pay the high price tag for cabs whilst staying at this hotel. It is truly in the center of so much. So utilize their services and enjoy the great walk and tube rides around town!

Although pricier than some hotels in London, it was a great stay for us and was exactly what we expected for the £415/night price.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and did not hear any noise from the street when our windows were open at night. We also stayed further from the elevators so we did not get a lot of foot traffic by our room.
2  Thank Catherine B

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

As much valued guests it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your 15th wedding anniversary with us. We like to ensure that all of our guests have a truly memorable stay and so I am delighted that our efforts were noticed.

I am delighted that you were happy with room 329, finding it to be gorgeously decorated with a spacious bathroom. I am equally pleased that you were not disturbed by outside noise.

Our staff take pride in all they do and I am thrilled that you found them to be courteous and helpful. It is especially wonderful to know that they assisted with your luggage on arrival and with maps/directions during your stay. I will ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the team, as they will be most appreciative.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon and that you have the chance to dine in the Blue Door Bistro.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The title says it all... unfortunately I didn't try the restaurants or really spend a lot of time in the hotel (I was there for business) but I couldn't really move in the room. I know it's London, but I would have preferred a smaller bed if it would have allowed me do put my suitcase somewhere (or to open it). Unfortunately, I feel like that's a universal problem with hotels in London, so I'm not I should dock the hotel for it.

Otherwise, very comfortable and classy stay, if in a slightly sleepy and inconvenient neighborhood (speaking as a former Londoner - not a tourist).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tcktravelguy

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you and that you felt that you could not move around easily. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased that you had a comfortable and classy stay nonetheless. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite upon arrival. Quite a room; two levels with 'living' room with large TV/couch/chairs/desk/view of gardens. Up steps to hall then bedroom with also separate couch, large closet. Bathroom large with two sinks, combo shower/bathtub. Shower comes straight out of ceiling, can't adjust angle at all. Bedding/towels top class as was housekeeping. Both sparkling and still water left daily gratis. Often with some treats too. Staff first class, couldn't help enough. Had lost tickets to theater and Hever castle which the concierge was able to retrieve within minutes of arrival. Truly first class hotel. Only slight negative was could hear people walking in room above us but never heard any voices. Had afternoon tea there which was quite nice, uncrowded, not rushed. Excellent tea/sandwiches/sweets. Lastly, location great, around the corner from British Museum. Easy walking distance to subway and only 15 minute walk to St Pancras and National Portrait Gallery. Even shorter to much of theater district. Would definitely return.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that you were happy with your room allocation. You kind feedback that the bedding/towels and that the housekeeping were top class is most appreciated and I will share this with the team.

Thank you for bringing the matter of the creaky floorboards to my attention. I have passed your comments on to my Chief Engineer in order that he may take the necessary remedial action to eliminate this problem for future guests.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always wonderful to receive such positive comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that the Concierge team assisted with your missing tickets so that you did not miss out on your excursions. I shall ensure that all of your comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I am equally pleased that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us and you found it to be nice, not crowded or rushed with excellent tea, sandwiches and sweets.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at The Montague on the Gardens just under a week ago. Location & services was fantastic. We travelled as a family with 2 children. Next we would not get adjoining rooms as they are they're quiet small compared to the other rooms. Would definitely recommend & stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Peta M

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Montague and that you found the location to be fantastic.

I am equally delighted that you were happy with the service; your kind comment is most appreciated.

We do offer a wide selection of room sizes and styles, so next time you book, please do let us know what you are looking for and we will do our utmost to allocate you the most suitable rooms.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.