“Perfect "Boutique" Hotel In Central London”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at The Montague. It was our 5th stay in as many years. The hotel is small (about 100 rooms) and so are the standard guest rooms (by American standards), but the staff make up for the small room size both in their numbers and quality. I don't know the staff-to-guest ratio of the hotel, but sometimes it felt like they outnumbered the guests because they were everywhere and always exceptionally helpful. I observed their interaction with other guests and was amazed at how they treat each one individually and with an unsurpassed attention to detail. I don't know how they do it but they remember your preferences for breakfast, transportation, wake-up calls, etc. I've traveled to over 40 countries and I haven't found better staff than I have at The Montague.

The prices in peak season are very high, but that's because, this being London, everything is expensive.

If you can afford a "master suite", rather than a standard room, you'll find the extra space well worth it. A standard room is so tight that the coffee/tea tray are stored inside the closet, and you almost have to walk sideways to get between the bed and the desk. But the location, decor, and out-of-this-world personalized service soon make you forget about the small rooms.

At a time when lots of wonderful old hotels are trying to look "hip" by going minimalist and modern in their decor, this hotel retains all the craftsmanship and warmth of a traditional hotel. They knew exactly where to modernize (in the bathrooms for example), and where to leave things alone (beautiful traditional lobby area). The lobby is so cozy and beautiful, that you feel you're in your own living room. Absolutely perfect if you want an oasis of tranquility in the middle of a very busy London.

We love this hotel and plan to come back over and over.
I

Room Tip: A standard room can't accommodate more than two people, so get a suite if you have children you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingGauchos
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your 5th stay at the Montague a wonderful occasion.

Our staff take pride in all they do for guests, ensuring that they are comfortable and that they have a memorable time with us. It is so wonderful to read that their efforts of remembering guests preferences and their general interaction with them is noticed as they like to make sure that they feel at home.

I’m sorry to read that you feel the rooms are small, I would like to apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. However, I am thrilled that you feel the location, decor and personalised service make up for this. I am equally pleased that you find the lobby to be cozy and that you feel as if you are in your own living room when staying with us.

Thank you for your recommendation of the hotel as an ‘oasis of tranquillity’. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,359)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We used the Montague for our recent leavers' prom and had a wonderful experience. Service is of an extremely high quality, well above what one might expect for price range. Food was of high quality and some extremely picky eaters were very well catered for.

Deejay Joao met the needs of a diverse age range.

Conservatory and outdoor seating area are very relaxing.

Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant time at the Montague celebrating your leaver’s prom. We like to ensure that all guests have a memorable time when they are at the hotel for whatever occasion they are celebrating.

Your kind comments that the service and food was of high quality is most appreciated and I will be delighted to share this with the staff. I am equally pleased that you were happy with DJ Joao who provided the music for your event, I will pass this feedback on to him as well as I am sure he will be most happy to receive this.

I am also thrilled that you found the Conservatory and outdoor areas to be very relaxing.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location for either walking or taking the Underground which will take you almost anywhere you wish to go to. It is 2 min from the lovely Russell Square, a historical garden where you can eat a light breakfast or lunch and enjoy the greenery. The Underground is the Piccadilly Line which is a 8 min walk from the hotel through Russell Square and connects to other lines.

The Montague's staff was always accommodating and attentive to our needs. The parlor and bar areas are lovely and well decorated. In the evening after dinner, we watched the World Soccer games in the lovely outside bar overlooking the gardens. In the morning even if we did not have breakfast included, we could have muffins, fruit, juice and coffee without charge.

The rooms were non smoking and very comfortable although the married couple with me felt the king bed took up too much room. There are larger rooms and suites if you wished to pay for the upgrade. As a single person, the room was large enough for me. I thought the room and the decor were outstanding with a nice bathroom.

Even though we were 2 minutes from The British Museum, the rooms were quite, and I did not notice any outside noises. I would stay there again especially since I love the Bloomsbury area.

Room Tip: There are larger Kings available facing the Gardens which is quite lovely, or there are suites avail...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank palihi
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review regarding your recent visit.

I am pleased that you were happy with your stay with us and that you felt the decor in your room was outstanding and that the bathroom was nice. However, I am sorry that your friends were disappointed. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would they mention that they prefer a larger room when next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, a more spacious room is allocated.

However, I am delighted that this did not detract too much from your time with us and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the World Cup in our Conservatory. I am equally pleased that the staff were always accommodating and attentive to your needs. It is always rewarding to receive such nice comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is fulfilling to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind words and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at the Montague for a week-end stopover with my wife. I had booked a deluxe room but was upgraded to a suite. Room was on two floors and was very well equipped. Tea and coffee maker. Two TV's. Comfy linen and good toiletries. Loved the overall layout.
Had afternoon Tea in the small conservatory which was very good. Quality product and was more than enough.
Breakfast is excellent. They have a full English breakfast plus a more traditional one. It's buffet style and the choices were good.
This hotel really understands the small details that make a difference. Complimentary lemonade to quench your thirst after a hectic day. Breakfast served until 11 am on Saturdays and 12.00am on Sundays is just brilliant. May I say that my visit to the men's toilet was quite surprising. The possibility of using the urinals and reading the daily paper seems to me very unique and funny. Well located. Next to the British Museum.15 minutes walk to Covent Gardens and Leicester Square.
The best part is the staff. Smiling, helpful and always ready to give you a hand.
If you want a hotel with a classical British touch. Classy without being snobbish this is your choice.

1  Thank angelo65Geneva

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your weekend break with us at the Montague.

It is wonderful to know that you were happy with your room and that you liked the layout, the linens and toiletries provided.

Your kind comment that the afternoon tea was very good with quality products and that the breakfast was excellent is most appreciated. I will share this with the Kitchen team who will be grateful for your kind feedback.

We understand that guests sometimes enjoy a leisurely break and so I am pleased that you were happy with our weekend breakfast timings as well as the complimentary, fresh, homemade lemonade that is available.

I would like to thank you for your comments that the staff were smiling, friendly and helpful. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Thank you also for your positive recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My new husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for our mini moon. The hotel was fantastic and the staff were even better, not only were we upgraded to a suite but the room had a lovely card and goodies for us. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Thanks so much for making out mini moon weekend so special

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley_293

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and that your ‘mini moon’ was a special weekend.

It is lovely to read that you felt the Montague was fantastic and that the staff were even better. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Your kind recommendation to others is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We really enjoyed out stay at the Montague. The staff was the best!!! They treated us like royalty. They always had smiles on their faces, always ready for recommendations for places to eat, how to get to various locations by taxi or train. We felt as if we knew them for years. We were lucky enough to get upgrades to a suite. The rooms are small but comfortable enough. Everything is kept very clean. We got breakfast everyday and afternoon tea once during our stay. Very lovely in very lovely rooms. There is a lovely garden where you can eat outside, but it was a bit cool during our stay. The location is around the corner from the British Museum but a bit away from the central sights. We did a lot of walking but also tooks taxis to the train station etc. Did the Hop on Hop off which was fun and a great way to get an overview of London. We were only there 3 1/2 days so we didn't get to see everything. We loved London and would come back again and probably stay here just for the service that the staff gives.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade as the rooms are small
2  Thank Barbara S

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you were treated like royalty.

Our staff like to ensure that every guest has a pleasant and memorable time at the Montague and so I am thrilled that they assisted with restaurant recommendations and were always happy. I will ensure that your positive feedback is shared with the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro. Your kind comment that it was ‘lovely in very lovely rooms’ is most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed there this past week, June 2014, to share a few days together for our 15th wedding anniversary. Although we did not tell anyone prior to our visit that it was for our anniversary, the general manager, Dirk Crokaert, had a basket of macaroons, biscuits, tea, candy and chocolate waiting for us when we checked in. There was even a bottle of champagne on ice! We were so surprised and felt very welcomed by it and the hand written note that accompanied it. Usually you received special attention like this when you make it aware that you are celebrating something special. It was so nice to receive it, just because.

The room, 329, featured gorgeous flowered print fabric wallpaper and a double sized bed. Those not familiar with Europe should note that the two beds do separate and are pushed together. This is common but is suprising if you aren't aware of it ahead of time. There was a desk, tv, two chairs and a small area towards the back accessable by a few steps that had a small couch and tv. The bathroom was spacious with a shower/tub and the walls were all mirrored. It was a large sized hotel room for Europe. The room was very quiet although you could hear people walking by the corridor if you were near the room door, but during the evening we had the windows open and could not hear anyone walking by outside or through the walls. It was very relaxing.

When we arrived, we were early and our bags were promptly taken to the holding area since we could not check in that early. Everyone on the staff from the doorman, to the hotel greeting staff to the staff we passed briefly in the hallway were courteous and helpful. We had an impression that they took pride in the hotel and wanted us to have a pleasant stay. Whenever we entered the hotel or left, we were always greeted.

The dining area was quite beautiful and although they offer a great afternoon tea, we were unable to experience that as we were too busy.

The hotel is a stone's throw from The British Museum, parks, several tube stations, great shopping on Oxford street, Covent Garden, Regents Park, and many wonderful pubs along the way. I highly suggest the "Skinners Arms" Pub on Judd Street as it is just a short walk from the hotel and is the perfect place for fish and chips.

I will note that a lot of American travelers were constantly taking cabs from this hotel. After living in London for several years (I am originally from America) I can tell you that the hotel staff can give you great directions and maps and it is unnecessary to pay the high price tag for cabs whilst staying at this hotel. It is truly in the center of so much. So utilize their services and enjoy the great walk and tube rides around town!

Although pricier than some hotels in London, it was a great stay for us and was exactly what we expected for the £415/night price.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and did not hear any noise from the street when our windows were open a...
2  Thank Catherine B

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

As much valued guests it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your 15th wedding anniversary with us. We like to ensure that all of our guests have a truly memorable stay and so I am delighted that our efforts were noticed.

I am delighted that you were happy with room 329, finding it to be gorgeously decorated with a spacious bathroom. I am equally pleased that you were not disturbed by outside noise.

Our staff take pride in all they do and I am thrilled that you found them to be courteous and helpful. It is especially wonderful to know that they assisted with your luggage on arrival and with maps/directions during your stay. I will ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the team, as they will be most appreciative.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon and that you have the chance to dine in the Blue Door Bistro.