“The best hotel i've ever stayed in!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The best hotel i've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading several reviews on here, i rang ahead to request a larger room and made them aware it was my girlfriends birthday. upon checking in, once i had given my name the lady behind the desk she turned to my girlfriend and wished her a happy birthday and even gave us a free upgrade to a suite. The room was amazing and got me serious brownie points with the Mrs.

We arrived back to the room later that evening to find a slate on the table with happy birthday written on it in white chocolate and an assortment of chocolates, cakes and biscuits. There was also a birthday card that all the staff had signed.

My only regret is that we couldn't have spent more time in the hotel. Both the hotel and the staff couldn't have been better!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As much valued guests I am delighted to read that you chose to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday with us at the Montague.

Our staff are very proud of what they do and they like to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and memorable stay with us. I am thrilled that you were happy with the room that was allocated to you and that your girlfriend enjoyed the celebration amenities that we provided. We continuously endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon for a longer stay.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Montague. On arrival, we were greeted with a warm and enthusiastic welcome, and this set the standard for the duration of our stay. The staff are the highlight, and made our stay so special. A special mention should be extended to Lucia who was so attentive, enthusiastic and helpful. And to Declan and Kendra in the bar. Nothing was too much trouble. Can't wait to return!!!

Oh and nearly forgot - the afternoon tea was amazing!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank webslinger05
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and that your stay with us was fantastic.

Our staff work hard and are extremely proud of what they do and it is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service. I am thrilled that they were the highlight of your stay and made it so special. I am especially pleased that Lucia, Declan and Kendra were pleasant during your time with us and that nothing was too much trouble for them. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is suitably noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I enjoyed so much my stay here. The staff could not have been nicer. They made me feel at home. While the room is small, everything else about the hotel is first class. Highly recommend for a stay in London. also great location to shops, restaurants and touring.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt the staff could not have been nicer.

The team like to ensure that every guest has a pleasant and memorable time at the Montague and so I am thrilled that they made you feel at home. I was sorry to read that you felt the room was small, however it is lovely to know that the service made up for this and was first class. I will ensure that your positive feedback is shared with the staff and that their service is duly noted.

Your kind recommendation is highly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Montague with Nathalie and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the service was excellent from when we checked in at reception right through to our dinner in the dining room great food and quality and tentative service from Tomas. Fantastic cocktails as a pre dinner drink, concierge was also first class assisting us in finding a telephone charger and very tentative to our needs for taxis etc and storing our luggage. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel for its service and first class accommodation. Hotels location is also very good and is located very close to Russell Square, great for tube stations and walking distance to Oxford Street. Another bonus it is lovely to have free bottled water in bedroom and not be charged for this.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor to the back of the hotel, we had a small outside seating area which wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

It is wonderful to read that you and Nathalie thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found the service throughout to be excellent, including the free water provided in your room.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such lovely comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that Tomasz was pleasant during your stay and that the Concierge assisted with a phone charger, taxis and luggage storage. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Tomasz and the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I am pleased that you felt your meal in the Blue Door Bistro was great and that the cocktails in the bar were also fantastic.

Thank you for your positive recommendation for our service and first class accommodation, I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is terrific: charming old world decor that is beautifully maintained with modern amenities. Great central London location in Bloomsbury very close to Russell Square Park with easy access to The British Museum, pubs and shopping. This hotel is friendly and lively in a refined way. We witnessed a wedding party here and we thought it was an ideal setting for a smaller romantic occasion like a wedding. The bar is intimate and tasteful with pleasing, unobtrusive live piano nightly. The staff is fabulous. Special thanks to these individuals who made our stay extra special: Kendra, Declan, Everett & to our very kind & accommodating night manager, Mr. Kumar.

Suggestion: if you prefer more space upgrade your room--standard rooms are tight--we upgraded to a junior suite and it made our stay even better .

Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you feel that the Montague is a terrific hotel and that you found the decor to be beautifully maintained with modern amenities. The owners like to keep the old world feel of the hotel whilst ensuring that it meets the modern day needs of guests.

It is equally wonderful that you find it to be friendly and lively and that you had the opportunity to spend some time in the terrace Bar. I am pleased that you enjoyed the live pianist in the evening.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, we invest heavily in training them to provide first class customer care to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. I am thrilled that Kendra, Declan, Everett and Anupam made your stay extra special. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I will be happy to share this feedback with them and ensure that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at The Montague. It was our 5th stay in as many years. The hotel is small (about 100 rooms) and so are the standard guest rooms (by American standards), but the staff make up for the small room size both in their numbers and quality. I don't know the staff-to-guest ratio of the hotel, but sometimes it felt like they outnumbered the guests because they were everywhere and always exceptionally helpful. I observed their interaction with other guests and was amazed at how they treat each one individually and with an unsurpassed attention to detail. I don't know how they do it but they remember your preferences for breakfast, transportation, wake-up calls, etc. I've traveled to over 40 countries and I haven't found better staff than I have at The Montague.

The prices in peak season are very high, but that's because, this being London, everything is expensive.

If you can afford a "master suite", rather than a standard room, you'll find the extra space well worth it. A standard room is so tight that the coffee/tea tray are stored inside the closet, and you almost have to walk sideways to get between the bed and the desk. But the location, decor, and out-of-this-world personalized service soon make you forget about the small rooms.

At a time when lots of wonderful old hotels are trying to look "hip" by going minimalist and modern in their decor, this hotel retains all the craftsmanship and warmth of a traditional hotel. They knew exactly where to modernize (in the bathrooms for example), and where to leave things alone (beautiful traditional lobby area). The lobby is so cozy and beautiful, that you feel you're in your own living room. Absolutely perfect if you want an oasis of tranquility in the middle of a very busy London.

We love this hotel and plan to come back over and over.
I

Room Tip: A standard room can't accommodate more than two people, so get a suite if you have children you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingGauchos
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your 5th stay at the Montague a wonderful occasion.

Our staff take pride in all they do for guests, ensuring that they are comfortable and that they have a memorable time with us. It is so wonderful to read that their efforts of remembering guests preferences and their general interaction with them is noticed as they like to make sure that they feel at home.

I’m sorry to read that you feel the rooms are small, I would like to apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. However, I am thrilled that you feel the location, decor and personalised service make up for this. I am equally pleased that you find the lobby to be cozy and that you feel as if you are in your own living room when staying with us.

Thank you for your recommendation of the hotel as an ‘oasis of tranquillity’. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We used the Montague for our recent leavers' prom and had a wonderful experience. Service is of an extremely high quality, well above what one might expect for price range. Food was of high quality and some extremely picky eaters were very well catered for.

Deejay Joao met the needs of a diverse age range.

Conservatory and outdoor seating area are very relaxing.

Very highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant time at the Montague celebrating your leaver’s prom. We like to ensure that all guests have a memorable time when they are at the hotel for whatever occasion they are celebrating.

Your kind comments that the service and food was of high quality is most appreciated and I will be delighted to share this with the staff. I am equally pleased that you were happy with DJ Joao who provided the music for your event, I will pass this feedback on to him as well as I am sure he will be most happy to receive this.

I am also thrilled that you found the Conservatory and outdoor areas to be very relaxing.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.