The Montague on The Gardens
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
4,487 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location of the Montague on the Gardens was ideal. The staff extremely attentive, I could not walk 10 feet without someone trying to help me. The breakfast was passable.

Now the bad news. The room was so small one of us had to step into the bathroom to pass the other. There was just enough room on each side of the bed to stand as long as you are not a larger than average size person. There was no dresser only an armoire. Inside was a safe, on the safe was the tea/coffee set and we set up the luggage rack above that. There was a desk to spread some things out on. Our other suitcase had to sit closed and upright in front of the window and I had to move it or climb over the bed to get up in the morning. The room was so cramped I almost became claustrophobic. This was their "Superior Room"? I asked about an upgrade and the cost was prohibitive. We were only in town for 3 nights so we toughed it out.

Do not exchange currency here their rate was 70 pounds for 100 Euros, while a souvenir shop down the side street from the Museum Tavern gave us 76 pounds for 100 Euros.

The breakfast was the English fare you would expect, bangers, bacon, beans, eggs and tomatoes. They also had something like breakfast tater tots. The bubble and squeak looked like an Ore Ida frozen creation heated in the oven.

Room Tip: Do not get the "Superior Room" unless you are flying solo.
3  Thank ilcub4ucme
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I was delighted to have had the opportunity to discuss your experience with us directly and to apologise for the size of the room which was not to your expectations.

I was pleased to hear that you did enjoy the service and hospitality provided by the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our third stay at the Montague. It was a joy to be back in London and in a hotel we know and feel comfortable. Location is prefect..walking to the theatre district, British Museum also. The staff is friendly and most helpful. We look forward to returning soon.

1  Thank Vicky S
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.

Your kind comments that the staff are friendly and most helpful are most appreciated. They take great interest in our guests to ensure that their stay is comfortable and memorable and so I am pleased that their efforts were noticed. I shall ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel close to the British Museum. Staffed by a host of pleasant, knowledgeable people with attention to detail that easily surpasses one’s expectations.
For example, they graciously knocked on the door of our large, comfortable room (heated bathroom floor no less) with a platter on which they had written “Happy 75th birthday”. This was accompanied with champagne, a balloon and little pastries.
Then, a couple of days later, another tray with delicious cupcakes topped with tiny Canadian flags to celebrate Canada Day.
And when I couldn’t lift myself out of the deep bath a staff member (to our astonishment, the youngest, slightest doorman) quickly lifted me out to safety.
While all the staff deserve praise, we mention particularly Jorge and Mustafa.
We were told that the hotel’s owner takes a hands-on approach to the running of her hotels and the care of her customers. This was evident in, for instance, the mandlebread she’d encouraged the chef to provide at the concierge’s desk.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you found the hotel to be beautiful and your room to be large, comfortable and that you particularly liked the heated floor in the bathroom.

It is equally lovely to know that you enjoyed the treats given for the 75th birthday and for Canada Day. We like to ensure that every stay with us is a memorable occasion and we understand that it is important to some guests, especially when they are travelling to celebrate national holidays.

Your comments regarding our staff are most appreciated and I am thrilled that you found them to be knowledgeable with great attention to detail. I was sorry to hear that you needed assistance when getting out of the bath however I am pleased that the doorman was able to help and that Mustafa and Jorge were pleasant during your time at the hotel. We like to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with Mustafa, Jorge and the team.

Our owners do indeed take a ‘hands on approach’ with regards to our staff, guests and the hotel. I do hope that you enjoyed the mandlebread. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading several reviews on here, i rang ahead to request a larger room and made them aware it was my girlfriends birthday. upon checking in, once i had given my name the lady behind the desk she turned to my girlfriend and wished her a happy birthday and even gave us a free upgrade to a suite. The room was amazing and got me serious brownie points with the Mrs.

We arrived back to the room later that evening to find a slate on the table with happy birthday written on it in white chocolate and an assortment of chocolates, cakes and biscuits. There was also a birthday card that all the staff had signed.

My only regret is that we couldn't have spent more time in the hotel. Both the hotel and the staff couldn't have been better!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As much valued guests I am delighted to read that you chose to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday with us at the Montague.

Our staff are very proud of what they do and they like to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and memorable stay with us. I am thrilled that you were happy with the room that was allocated to you and that your girlfriend enjoyed the celebration amenities that we provided. We continuously endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon for a longer stay.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Montague. On arrival, we were greeted with a warm and enthusiastic welcome, and this set the standard for the duration of our stay. The staff are the highlight, and made our stay so special. A special mention should be extended to Lucia who was so attentive, enthusiastic and helpful. And to Declan and Kendra in the bar. Nothing was too much trouble. Can't wait to return!!!

Oh and nearly forgot - the afternoon tea was amazing!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank webslinger05
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and that your stay with us was fantastic.

Our staff work hard and are extremely proud of what they do and it is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service. I am thrilled that they were the highlight of your stay and made it so special. I am especially pleased that Lucia, Declan and Kendra were pleasant during your time with us and that nothing was too much trouble for them. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is suitably noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.