“A truly perfect experience!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“A truly perfect experience!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 10th year wedding anniversary at this beautiful hotel.
Everything was just perfect, the room, food and all of the staff!
Our stay exceeded our expectations by far, and we received a card from the General Manager and staff together with a complimentary bottle of champagne and lots and lots of extra special extras! The Sales team, Housekeeping, Reception and Food & Beverage Staff are all simply delightful, they remembered me by name, and one of the waitresses even remembered how I liked my hot chocolate the following morning from a previous stay!!
Simply delightful – We would 100% recommend this hotel for any occasion - We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, making your 10th anniversary an occasion to remember. I am thrilled that you found everything to be perfect.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that they enjoy a comfortable and memorable stay. It is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. It is wonderful to read that they remembered your names and even the way you like your hot chocolate from a previous stay. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at Montague on the Gardens for three nights in July 2014. This place feels like a London hotel should! Atmosphere galore, yet not pretentious or demanding formality. Every person on the staff was smiling and friendly, eager to help. Beautiful drawing room, 'clubby' bar, nice outside areas out from the bar, charming room for High Tea. Bedroom could use a refurbishing, but all was spotless, comfortable and bathroom had lovely amenities and plenty of plush towels and hot water. The Montague is a one block walk to the British Museum, or one block the other way to Russell Square. Look for "It's All Greek" shop on a corner in front of the museum -- lovely jewelry. At the hotel, look for Chief in the bar - he makes a mean Pimm's!

2 Thank SallyWatkinsCTC
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt The Montague was just like a London hotel should be.

I have noted your comments about the refurbishment of the room; we do regular surveys on the rooms to ensure that they are suitable for our guests needs. However I will be sure that each room is considered when we next look into this. I am glad that this did not detract too much from your stay and that you found the room to be spotless, comfortable and that you liked the amenities provided.

I am equally pleased that you found the public areas to be beautiful and charming; I hope that you had the opportunity to spend some time in them.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service so it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were friendly and eager to help. I am especially delighted that you enjoyed the Pimm’s cocktail by Chief. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Chief and the team and that their service is duly noted.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Bayport, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We selected the Montague on the Gardens hotel based on TA reviews and the fact it was included in my credit card's VIP travel program. My wife and I stayed for four nights in July and we could not have been more satisfied. We wanted an authentic British hotel, not some British version of a US luxury hotel chain - and the Montague delivered! The comments about room size are accurate - our Classic Double room was small by American standards. We throw our empty suitcases under the bed and found places to store our clothes to make it a bit less cramped but do not expect a lot of room. This aside, the room was lovely. Had a nice queen size canopy bed. The rain shower in the bathroom was quite good and unique. The public spaces in the hotel were exceptional. Everything was decorated beautifully and the bar/garden settings in the back of the hotel were so peaceful after a long day of business or sightseeing. The staff were some of the nicest I've encountered in a long time. The location was just what we expected from the reviews - a very quiet, residential type setting but just a short walk to some good neighborhood pubs and restaurants. Note that we did feel the need to take taxis to the tourist sections like Westminster and London Eye. Not really walkable to these sights. We had the full English breakfast every day - just fantastic, and the Afternoon Tea was first class. The free Wi-Fi was fast and reliable making it great for business or for Facetiming the kids back home. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dbug62
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I am thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and that you could not have been more satisfied.

Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room. However I am pleased that on this occasion this did not detract too much from your stay with us and that you found the room to be lovely and that you felt the rain shower was good and unique. It is great to know that the free Wi-Fi we provide was fast and reliable during your time here.

Your kind feedback that public areas are exceptional is most appreciated; I am glad that you felt they were beautifully decorated and that you had the opportunity to relax in the outdoor areas.

I am equally pleased that you felt breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro was fantastic and that the afternoon tea was first class. The Kitchen and Food and Beverage teams will be most delighted to receive these comments.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. I am pleased that they were the nicest you have encountered in a long time. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A couple of nights was there but it was enough to say: wow! What a wonderfull place to stay ! The room is old fashioned Style with a poster bed and furnitures so cute . Don't for get to enjoy the food which is very delicious and served tilt late in the evening . Them Have also a garden were you can enjoy tea or meal and that's amazing .Staff is ready to help you in every needings. Position is good for a tour in center

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank salvatore l
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you felt the Montague was a wonderful hotel. It is lovely to know that you were happy with the style of the room and that you thought it was ‘cute’.

Your kind comment that you found the food served from our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro to be delicious is most appreciated, I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our outdoor areas.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to know that they were ready to help you. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

scotland
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Once again a great stay,service,food,rooms great well worth the cost especially the Bloomsbury week end deal.
If you appreciate style and great service in a superb area for west end,covent garden,soho and of course the british museum just around the corner then this is for you.

One of the best concierge services I have come across.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank blondieScotland
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations making your stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am thrilled that you were happy with the food and the room that was allocated to you.

Your kind comment that the Concierge is the best you had come across is most appreciated and I will be more than happy to share this with the team who will be ever so grateful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Huntingdon
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The setting is beautiful, the hotel delightful, the staff are friendly, helpful and impeccably polite - oh and the the tea was simply delicious! I would recommend sitting on the terrace which looks out onto Bedford Gardens.

4 Thank JoanneGMC
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you had the opportunity to experience our Afternoon Tea on the Terrace. Your kind comment that it was simply delicious is most appreciated.

I am equally thrilled that the staff were friendly, helpful and impeccably polite during your time at the hotel. They like to ensure that our guests are satisfied and so it is wonderful to read that their efforts were noticed.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend with our friends in the Montague. I can honestly say it was the most amazing stay and I'll try to capture it in this review.

We booked the Bloomsbury package and at first were a bit apprehensive at the cost. But it was well worth it and I wouldn't hesitate to pay it again! We were meeting up with our best friends from Newcastle, travelling from Northern Ireland, as a surprise birthday weekend.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were warmly greeted by wonderful smiley faces, which was very much welcomed after our tiresome journey. Our bags were taken from us as we made our way up the steps. The reception staff were equally as receptive and we were taken a short tour of the hotel before going to our room. This was helpful and something other hotels should take note of! What a great first impression.

Our room was small, but don't let that put you off. The bedroom is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We had the best nights sleep we have ever had staying away from home in that comfortable bed! There was no noise coming from outside in the corridor or other rooms, or indeed from outside, as the street appeared to be mostly pedestrian. The corridors and rooms are fully air conditioned.

Then there's the excellent room service. There is a turndown service operated every night, with lovely chocolates placed on your bed. What a lovely touch. On the first night we received a hand written note with handmade cookies from the manager welcoming us to the hotel. This was closely followed by our champagne on ice in a lovely flower petal plate. How special we felt!

We took afternoon tea on our first night. How lovely that was and we wanted for nothing. The staff were so helpful and efficient. The second day, we had our champagne on the terrace (we didn't have time to drink it the night before). How special that was and how helpful the staff were. We were made feel we were the only guests there, even though others were being attended to in an equally competent and helpful way. The champagne afternoon was made even more special by two members of staff, the wonderful Everett and the lovely Daria. Everett's knowledge of champagne is amazing and we enjoyed watching our husbands opening the bottles with a sword! Wonderful! He is so brilliant at his job and has a fabulous personality too.

I just want to say that this hotel is truly wonderful and special and that you shouldn't hesitate to pay it a visit. It is the best hotel we have ever stayed at and has the most wonderful customer service which we have never experienced before - despite the number of hotels and countries we have visited. There is a lovely relaxed and family feel about it. A real home from home, but ever so luxurious! I want to thank all the staff from the house maids, to the doormen, to the concierge, to the reception staff, to the waiting staff. A very special thanks to the wonderful Everett and Daria. The hotel is also very central and in a great location, particularly close to theatre land and covent garden.

We will most definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room if not happy.