The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived in London at 6AM after an overnight flight and were well aware that our room was not guaranteed until much later in the afternoon(2PM) but we took a chance and sure enough, due to a terrific,caring lobby staff, some luck in terms of room availability we were able to access the room. Other hotels might have stood by what ever the rule may have been but these kind folks were empathetic and thoughtful. The Hotel is beautiful and well located in Bloomsbury by the British Museum. The restaurant off the lobby had a fantastic and classic British breakfast buffet All in all would absolutely stay here again and recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfeing00
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit to the Montague.

Our staff take great interest in our guests and they understand that long journeys can be extremely tiring, so they work hard to make sure that every guest is comfortable and that they have everything they may need. I am delighted that the team assisted with getting a room ready for you on arrival.

Your comments that the team were terrific, caring, empathetic and thoughtful are most appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the breakfast served in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro. I will be sure to share this feedback with the Kitchen and Food and Beverage teams.

It is lovely to know that you would stay with us again and I would like to thank you for your positive recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,328)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Spent the weekend here to celebrate my Birthday with my husband and some of my family visited. We actually choe this hotel due to such good reviews on trip advisor!
Absolutely loved our stay here! and was made so very special by staying at this delightful hotel.
The staff at the hotel are so welcoming and so attentive at all times. Nothing is too much trouble. Our room was very comfortable and so very nice, and well thought out with extra touches.
We received complmentary champagne and fruit and homemade cookies which were delicious. The hotel interior is charming The food on the terrace was delicious and in a nice garden setting which is tranquill. The hotel is in a very good central location near Russell Square but in a very peaceful street.
Will definitely return as it is far the best place we have ever stayed in London! Thank you!

Room Tip: We choose the deluxe king size
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your review is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am thrilled that we have met your expectations and made your birthday a special occasion. It is wonderful to read that you loved your stay with us and that your room was comfortable and very nice.

I am equally pleased that you had the opportunity to dine on the Terrace and that you found the food served from our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro to be delicious.

Your kind comments that the staff were welcoming, attentive and that nothing was too much trouble for them is most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always lovely to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

It is delightful to know that the Montague is the best place you have ever stayed at in London and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 10th year wedding anniversary at this beautiful hotel.
Everything was just perfect, the room, food and all of the staff!
Our stay exceeded our expectations by far, and we received a card from the General Manager and staff together with a complimentary bottle of champagne and lots and lots of extra special extras! The Sales team, Housekeeping, Reception and Food & Beverage Staff are all simply delightful, they remembered me by name, and one of the waitresses even remembered how I liked my hot chocolate the following morning from a previous stay!!
Simply delightful – We would 100% recommend this hotel for any occasion - We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, making your 10th anniversary an occasion to remember. I am thrilled that you found everything to be perfect.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that they enjoy a comfortable and memorable stay. It is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. It is wonderful to read that they remembered your names and even the way you like your hot chocolate from a previous stay. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at Montague on the Gardens for three nights in July 2014. This place feels like a London hotel should! Atmosphere galore, yet not pretentious or demanding formality. Every person on the staff was smiling and friendly, eager to help. Beautiful drawing room, 'clubby' bar, nice outside areas out from the bar, charming room for High Tea. Bedroom could use a refurbishing, but all was spotless, comfortable and bathroom had lovely amenities and plenty of plush towels and hot water. The Montague is a one block walk to the British Museum, or one block the other way to Russell Square. Look for "It's All Greek" shop on a corner in front of the museum -- lovely jewelry. At the hotel, look for Chief in the bar - he makes a mean Pimm's!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SallyWatkinsCTC

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt The Montague was just like a London hotel should be.

I have noted your comments about the refurbishment of the room; we do regular surveys on the rooms to ensure that they are suitable for our guests needs. However I will be sure that each room is considered when we next look into this. I am glad that this did not detract too much from your stay and that you found the room to be spotless, comfortable and that you liked the amenities provided.

I am equally pleased that you found the public areas to be beautiful and charming; I hope that you had the opportunity to spend some time in them.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service so it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were friendly and eager to help. I am especially delighted that you enjoyed the Pimm’s cocktail by Chief. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Chief and the team and that their service is duly noted.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We selected the Montague on the Gardens hotel based on TA reviews and the fact it was included in my credit card's VIP travel program. My wife and I stayed for four nights in July and we could not have been more satisfied. We wanted an authentic British hotel, not some British version of a US luxury hotel chain - and the Montague delivered! The comments about room size are accurate - our Classic Double room was small by American standards. We throw our empty suitcases under the bed and found places to store our clothes to make it a bit less cramped but do not expect a lot of room. This aside, the room was lovely. Had a nice queen size canopy bed. The rain shower in the bathroom was quite good and unique. The public spaces in the hotel were exceptional. Everything was decorated beautifully and the bar/garden settings in the back of the hotel were so peaceful after a long day of business or sightseeing. The staff were some of the nicest I've encountered in a long time. The location was just what we expected from the reviews - a very quiet, residential type setting but just a short walk to some good neighborhood pubs and restaurants. Note that we did feel the need to take taxis to the tourist sections like Westminster and London Eye. Not really walkable to these sights. We had the full English breakfast every day - just fantastic, and the Afternoon Tea was first class. The free Wi-Fi was fast and reliable making it great for business or for Facetiming the kids back home. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dbug62

Dear guest,

I am thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and that you could not have been more satisfied.

Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room. However I am pleased that on this occasion this did not detract too much from your stay with us and that you found the room to be lovely and that you felt the rain shower was good and unique. It is great to know that the free Wi-Fi we provide was fast and reliable during your time here.

Your kind feedback that public areas are exceptional is most appreciated; I am glad that you felt they were beautifully decorated and that you had the opportunity to relax in the outdoor areas.

I am equally pleased that you felt breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro was fantastic and that the afternoon tea was first class. The Kitchen and Food and Beverage teams will be most delighted to receive these comments.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. I am pleased that they were the nicest you have encountered in a long time. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

A couple of nights was there but it was enough to say: wow! What a wonderfull place to stay ! The room is old fashioned Style with a poster bed and furnitures so cute . Don't for get to enjoy the food which is very delicious and served tilt late in the evening . Them Have also a garden were you can enjoy tea or meal and that's amazing .Staff is ready to help you in every needings. Position is good for a tour in center

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank salvatore l

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you felt the Montague was a wonderful hotel. It is lovely to know that you were happy with the style of the room and that you thought it was ‘cute’.

Your kind comment that you found the food served from our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro to be delicious is most appreciated, I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our outdoor areas.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to know that they were ready to help you. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Once again a great stay,service,food,rooms great well worth the cost especially the Bloomsbury week end deal.
If you appreciate style and great service in a superb area for west end,covent garden,soho and of course the british museum just around the corner then this is for you.

One of the best concierge services I have come across.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank blondieScotland
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations making your stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am thrilled that you were happy with the food and the room that was allocated to you.

Your kind comment that the Concierge is the best you had come across is most appreciated and I will be more than happy to share this with the team who will be ever so grateful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.