“2nd time we stopped there”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Lovely hotel, staff very friendly. Handy location for British Museum and walkable from both Russell Square tube station, and the West End.

Decent size room for London, breakfast has a good choice. Won't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian W
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be lovely and that the staff were very friendly. I am equally happy that the location was ideal for you.

It is wonderful to know that you felt the room was of a decent size and that the breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro had a good selection.

I will be pleased to pass this feedback on to my team who will be most grateful.

I am thrilled that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,354)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Mr Mustafa El'Omari is a friendly and superb Head of Concierge. Not only does he have a sense of humour. But as I left the hotel, he gave me a free large 'Montague On the Garden' umbrella. All I had to do was give a review on tripadvisor.co.uk We have been to this hotel before. The difference this time is we used concierge to get us taxis to the theatre. The taxi arrived in minutes. All of the various people on duty were helpful. Also Mustafa recommended in the literature in the room, to see 'Matilda,' the musical. That was back in September 2013. Well it's still going an we've seen it on our 2nd visit in July 2014. Fabulous musical, completely different and for people who don't usually like musicals. All the waiters/waitresses and reception staff are wonderful. Especially the hard working chambermaids and cleaners. There's just one thing, avoid the small, cramped room 229.

Room Tip: Room 40 we stayed in, plenty of room and a walk in wardrobe. The room number may have changed since...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

As returning guests, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us once again and that Mustafa looked after you.

Our team take great pride in all they do for our guests and I am thrilled that Mustafa and his team assisted you with an umbrella, taxi’s and the recommendation of Matilda the Musical. I am equally delighted that all of the staff were helpful and wonderful. I will ensure that this lovely feedback is shared with the team and that their service is duly noted.

I was sorry however to read that your felt room 229 was small and cramped. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. When next booking please do mention your room preference and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Set in a quiet but very central area of London this is an amazing hotel. The building, the decor, the facilities, cleanliness and breakfast are all superb but what makes this hotel so very special are the staff. They are all so helpful, friendly and courteous without being at all intrusive.
I fully recommend staying at this amazing hotel, we will certainly be returning. No where else we have stayed in London compares. It really is a gem. Very, very special and really, really lush!!
Thank so much for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you felt the Montague was an amazing hotel and that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay.

Your kind words that the facilities, cleanliness and breakfast served in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro are superb are most appreciated.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that their hard work was noticed. I am delighted that they were helpful, friendly and courteous during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team and that their efforts are duly recognised.

Thank you for your positive recommendation and comments that the Montague is a gem, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room was lovely and immaculately clean .... Service unbelievable. Breakfast to die for!
Staff will do anything to help.. More than willing to advise or just have a friendly chat.
Recommend for central london..

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel for best dels...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have everything they may need during their time with us and that they have a memorable stay. I am delighted that they took interest in helping you and took the time to chat. Your kind feedback that the service was unbelievable is most appreciated and I will be sure to share you lovely words with the team.

I am equally thrilled that you found your room to be lovely and immaculately clean.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to others and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Without a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in, staff were friendly with nothing being too much trouble, attention to detail was above and beyond.
There was an issue with another guest during my stay but it was so tastefully handled by the staff I can find ZERO fault with the hotel it simply is the best!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am so pleased that you found the Montague to be the best hotel you have ever stayed in.

Your comments that the staff were friendly with nothing being too much trouble are so nice to read. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received outstanding service. When these efforts are accredited it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am delighted that you can find no faults and that the hotel is simply the best, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A beautiful hotel, situated in Central London. The hotel is surrounded by lovely garden, my suite was facing these gorgeous grounds, so I never heard or felt as though I was in the middle of busy Central London. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Nina V
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

Your kind comment that the Montague is beautiful with lovely surroundings is most appreciated.

It is lovely to know that you enjoyed a peaceful stay with us and that you were not disturbed by any local noise so that you didn’t feel as if you were in central London.

I would like to thank you for your high recommendation of the hotel. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The staff were amazing, lemonade on arrival, cases taken up to the room, complimentary biscuits in the afternoon, lovely bar staff even at 1am, breakfast beautifully cooked, served and displayed. ..I can honestly say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, will definitely return next time I visit London. Thankyou to all the people involved in the montague, truly amazing.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Tim K

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent stay with us.

It is lovely to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you think the Montague is one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in and that you will return.

Your kind comments that the staff were amazing and lovely, even at 1am are most appreciated. I am pleased that they assisted with your suitcases and that you enjoyed the free, homemade lemonade on arrival.

I am thrilled that you found breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro to be beautifully cooked, served and displayed. I will make sure to share your positive feedback with the Food and Beverage teams who will be most grateful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.