“By far the Best”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“By far the Best”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have been visiting London since 1952 and I have stayed in at least 20 hotels from nameless bargains to the Ritz. This time I brought my wife, my daughter and her two children in their twenties. We stayed at the Montague for a week. Within a day we were recognized and called by name. Service was terrific. Clean, friendly, helpful. The best!

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor was cool and quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tpeter9608
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent stay with us.

It is lovely to read that having travelled to London for a long time, staying in many hotels that you feel the Montague is ‘the best’.

Your comments that the team were friendly and helpful with terrific service are most appreciated. They take great interest in our guests and I am pleased that they referred to you and your family by name. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I will be sure to share this wonderful feedback with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at the Red Carnation's Bushmans Kloof in South Africa (a fabulous place) we tried the Montague in London. We were not disappointed! This lovely boutique hotel has everything. Helpful, charming, informative and efficient staff, a lovely location, wonderful ambience, a great afternoon tea and a superb breakfast ( sadly we were not there for dinner), a wonderful bedroom suite overlooking the gardens at the back of the hotel
The whole experience confirmed our very high opinion of the Red Carnation group. We shall certainly be returning

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Bogracie
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

As much valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember. I am equally delighted that following your stay at Bushman’s Kloof, that you were not disappointed.

Your kind comments that the staff were helpful, charming, informative and efficient are most appreciated. They take great pride in all they do at the Montague and it is always satisfying to know that their hard work is noticed. I will be sure to share these kind words with the team and that their service is noted.

I am thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us and that you found it, along with breakfast, to be great.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so that you can enjoy dinner with us in the Blue Door Bistro.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Lovely hotel, staff very friendly. Handy location for British Museum and walkable from both Russell Square tube station, and the West End.

Decent size room for London, breakfast has a good choice. Won't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian W
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be lovely and that the staff were very friendly. I am equally happy that the location was ideal for you.

It is wonderful to know that you felt the room was of a decent size and that the breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro had a good selection.

I will be pleased to pass this feedback on to my team who will be most grateful.

I am thrilled that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Mr Mustafa El'Omari is a friendly and superb Head of Concierge. Not only does he have a sense of humour. But as I left the hotel, he gave me a free large 'Montague On the Garden' umbrella. All I had to do was give a review on tripadvisor.co.uk We have been to this hotel before. The difference this time is we used concierge to get us taxis to the theatre. The taxi arrived in minutes. All of the various people on duty were helpful. Also Mustafa recommended in the literature in the room, to see 'Matilda,' the musical. That was back in September 2013. Well it's still going an we've seen it on our 2nd visit in July 2014. Fabulous musical, completely different and for people who don't usually like musicals. All the waiters/waitresses and reception staff are wonderful. Especially the hard working chambermaids and cleaners. There's just one thing, avoid the small, cramped room 229.

Room Tip: Room 40 we stayed in, plenty of room and a walk in wardrobe. The room number may have changed since...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

As returning guests, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us once again and that Mustafa looked after you.

Our team take great pride in all they do for our guests and I am thrilled that Mustafa and his team assisted you with an umbrella, taxi’s and the recommendation of Matilda the Musical. I am equally delighted that all of the staff were helpful and wonderful. I will ensure that this lovely feedback is shared with the team and that their service is duly noted.

I was sorry however to read that your felt room 229 was small and cramped. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. When next booking please do mention your room preference and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Set in a quiet but very central area of London this is an amazing hotel. The building, the decor, the facilities, cleanliness and breakfast are all superb but what makes this hotel so very special are the staff. They are all so helpful, friendly and courteous without being at all intrusive.
I fully recommend staying at this amazing hotel, we will certainly be returning. No where else we have stayed in London compares. It really is a gem. Very, very special and really, really lush!!
Thank so much for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you felt the Montague was an amazing hotel and that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay.

Your kind words that the facilities, cleanliness and breakfast served in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro are superb are most appreciated.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that their hard work was noticed. I am delighted that they were helpful, friendly and courteous during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team and that their efforts are duly recognised.

Thank you for your positive recommendation and comments that the Montague is a gem, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room was lovely and immaculately clean .... Service unbelievable. Breakfast to die for!
Staff will do anything to help.. More than willing to advise or just have a friendly chat.
Recommend for central london..

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel for best dels...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have everything they may need during their time with us and that they have a memorable stay. I am delighted that they took interest in helping you and took the time to chat. Your kind feedback that the service was unbelievable is most appreciated and I will be sure to share you lovely words with the team.

I am equally thrilled that you found your room to be lovely and immaculately clean.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to others and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Without a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in, staff were friendly with nothing being too much trouble, attention to detail was above and beyond.
There was an issue with another guest during my stay but it was so tastefully handled by the staff I can find ZERO fault with the hotel it simply is the best!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am so pleased that you found the Montague to be the best hotel you have ever stayed in.

Your comments that the staff were friendly with nothing being too much trouble are so nice to read. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received outstanding service. When these efforts are accredited it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am delighted that you can find no faults and that the hotel is simply the best, we look forward to welcoming you back.