“Small but functional” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Cedar Rapids
“Small but functional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The concierge was very helpful. We received a hint of arrogance from some of the staff, perhaps due to our informal American attire. The facility was immaculate and in good repair. The room we had was small, with a smaller bathroom. We only stayed one night; we were to return on two other dates but an emergency surgery prevented that), but that night it was very quiet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank frank2176
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your stay at the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that your planned stay with us were unfortunately cancelled due to emergency surgery, I do hope that all is well now.

I would also like to apologise if you felt the staff were arrogant due to your informal attire. I can assure you that our staff aim to make our guests feel comfortable and so I am sorry that you didn’t feel this was the case.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased to read that you experienced a quiet night and that you felt the hotel was immaculate. Your kind comment that the Concierge was very helpful is most appreciated and I will be sure to share this with the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I spend a night in the hotel with my boyfriend and what can I say simply was a wonderful place the room was amazing and spotless the stuff was really helpful and friendly especially Everett from the restaurant which we met the evening when we had a drink in the bar and had dinner in the restaurant and surprisingly he was there for breakfast the following morning always friendly, professional.
Really a great stay!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sielo91
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you and your boyfriend had a great stay with us and you felt that the Montague was a wonderful place. It is equally pleasing to know that you thought your room was amazing and spotless.

Your kind comments that the staff were helpful and friendly in particular Everett, are most appreciated. We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We continuously endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Everett and the team and that their service is duly noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for a longer period in the future.

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our family of 5 stayed at the Montague for 4 nights, and enjoyed every moment we spent there. All the staff, from reception to concierge to housekeeping to the restaurant staff paid special attention to the kids and were always very helpful and pleasant. The efforts of Andrew at reception, Lucia at the restaurant, Mark at concierge, Luke, Tomaz, and Jorge were especially appreciated. The children enjoyed making cupcakes with chef Danny. The hotel was full, but with all the individual attention we received, it was as if we were the only guests there.

The rooms are small by American standards, but they are nicely furnished. The location, adjacent to the British Museum, is excellent. We would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank alexman1968
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you felt your room was small however I am pleased that this did not detract too much form your stay and that you thought it was nicely furnished.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations. Our team take great interest in all of our guests including children to ensure that they have an equally memorable stay with us.

I am pleased that the team were always helpful and pleasant and that Andrew, Lucia, Mark, Luke, Tomasz, Jorge and Danny were particularly accommodating during your time at the Montague. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile and so I will be sure that the teams’ service is duly rewarded.

It is wonderful to know that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Zottegem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My recent two-days stay in London (August 2014) was wonderful. The Montague on the Gardens felt like a home in London: a friendly doorman made the return to the hotel feel like coming home and the guests get the best possible start of the day due to the fabulous breakfast and, more importantly, the people who serve it. The reason a hotel felt like a home is the quality of the people: they convey the feeling that all (reasonable) requests will be granted. The only minor minus was the evacuation of the 'Great Neighbour': the British Museum thought it appropriate to ask a guest of the Montague on the Gardens to leave the premises. Admittedly, I did not arrange my visit through the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Johan P
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is delightful to read that you enjoyed your time at the Montague and that you felt your stay was wonderful.

Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that our guests feel at home when staying with us and so I am thrilled that their efforts were noticed. I am especially pleased that the Doorman made you feel welcome when returning each day and that you found the breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro to be fabulous. Your lovely comments are most appreciated and I will be happy to share these with the team.

I was sorry to read about the incident at the British Museum but I am pleased that this did not detract anything from your stay at the Montague.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We decided to go to this hotel after reading the reviews here and expected it to be a good hotel. When we arrived we were surprised to find out it is even better than we thought.
The service was great- from the moment we enter the hotel, the baby cot with games waiting in our room, the cake with a letter for our second anniversary and all the people working in the hotel and trying to help all the time. Especially Mark Leishman from the concierge.
We came with our 3 month old baby and it was perfect. We received a special soap for babies and more.
The location is great, just next to the British Museum and a walking distance from Oxford street and the shopping area. Lots of nice restaurant within 5 min. Walk.
We had an upgraded room. It wasn't so big but perfectly clean and equipped.
Without a doubt a very recommended hotel!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a baby and need a baby cot, you better upgrade for a bigger room and ask f...
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Omrigol
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. I am delighted that you found your room to be perfectly clean and equipped.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that their stay with us is comfortable and that they have everything they may need. I am especially pleased that Mark was particularly helpful and that the housekeeping team provided suitable soaps for your baby. It is always satisfying to hear that the teams’ hard work has been noticed and I will be sure to share this with them.

I would like to thank you for your high recommendation of the hotel. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Montague on the Gardens with our 10 year old boy/girl twins. The team at this hotel are brilliant ... Fantastic. We have stayed in many hotels across the world and these guys go the extra mile. Everyone we met was equally as good as the next. Whoever is training here is very good too. The children were invited to do several activities. Cup cake decorating, milk shake/non alcoholic cocktail mixing were chosen, but they would have loved the other things too. They were treated well and conversation was age appropriate ... Again brilliant. Thanks guys. We have had a really lovely time and will be back. Feel free to ignore negative comments for this hotel. Even if something is wrong I am sure this team could 'fix' it!

Room Tip: Let the team know what type of room you prefer. They'll do their best.
1 Thank FourInFamily
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent visit to the Montague.

As much-valued guests, your comments are extremely significant to us as they help us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore pleased that we have met your expectations and made your family stay an occasion to remember.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that everyone feels welcome, especially children. We like to ensure that their stay with us is just as memorable as the adults. I am delighted that they enjoyed the cupcake decorating and milkshake/mocktail classes.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I will be sure to share this lovely feedback with the team and that their service is recognised.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Best hotel stay this year. Every detail was impeccable: excellent staff, facilities, rooms, breakfast, location, etc. The most enjoyable meal in London was tea in the hotel. We recommend this highly. The GPS took us right to the hotel from Dover with no issues. Parking was conveniently located at the end of the street. We booked this via JustPark, also with no issues. Bus tour pick-up locations are a short walk a way. We walked to the theatre district. Great value for the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel this was your ‘best hotel stay this year’, which is truly motivating to read.

Your lovely feedback that every detail was impeccable including the excellent staff, facilities, rooms, breakfast and location is most appreciated.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be sure to share this lovely comment with the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams who will be most grateful. I would equally like to thank you for your positive recommendation of this service.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming yourselves back to the hotel soon.