“Beautiful Hotel”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,073 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is my 4th time staying at the Montague and its always excellent, the hotel is lovely and quaint and the service is brilliant. My only criticism is the price of the coffee, £11 for 2 Americano's and to be honest it was awful, weak and made with Starbucks beans, if you want better coffee go to the museum cafe across the road, cheaper and much nicer. Other than that i can't fault the hotel.

1  Thank Fred B
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

As returning guests, I am pleased to read that you found your 4th stay with us to be excellent.

I have noted your comment about the prices in our restaurant and I would like to thank you for sharing this. We conduct a quarterly price survey against our competitors of the same category and try to keep our prices competitive. Our coffee is made with Starbucks coffee and I am sorry that you felt it was weak; I have shared this feedback with the Food and Beverage Manager so that she can look into the quality of the drinks being made.

Your kind comment that the service was brilliant is most appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for The Montague on The Gardens

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Montague almost 20 years ago, it has a very special place in our heart and its traditional British decor is even more beautiful now than it was then. This last time, however, was the best stay I have ever had at a hotel (including the Peninsula in Hong Kong) because of the staff. After a long and complicated trip from France with our Boston Terrier, Bentley, we were greeted with a warm welcome. Unbeknownst to us, while the doorman was making friends with Bentley, someone else snapped his photo, which was later turned into a door tag. The room was lovely, thoughtfully chosen given our needs (a little larger and close to the entrance) and had bowls and a dog bed already in place when we arrived. Everyone made Bentley -- and us -- feel appreciated and welcome every time we returned. Our requests for room service chicken for Bentley were easily and promptly complied with, and Bentley was even made to feel welcome at breakfast: Daria brought him ham, which he very much appreciated. The doormen and desk clerks made a point of making friends with Bentley, and the effect was that Bentley felt so comfortable that he transcended his usual excellent behavior and now wants to apply for a position as an official greeter.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on the garden: the view is beautiful and it's extra quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nadia N
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely significant to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, making this one of the best hotel stays you have ever had.

It is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed staying at the Montague since your honeymoon, 20 years ago. I am pleased that you continue to be happy with the rooms and that on this occasion you felt it was lovely and thoughtfully chosen for your needs.

Our staff take pride in all they do and they work hard to ensure that every visitor, including dogs are comfortable and welcome, especially after long and complicated journeys. I am thrilled that everyone looked after Bentley and ensured that he had everything, in particular Daria who treated him at breakfast. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We chose this hotel for a week of walking around and visiting West End of London. Lovely public areas, breakfast is good. Loved the conservatory, afternoon tea was wonderful! This is a beautiful hotel with very traditional British decor.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you think the Montague is a beautiful hotel with very British decor. It is wonderful to read your kind comments about the public areas including the large conservatory.

I am equally pleased that you felt breakfast was good and that you had the opportunity to experience Afternoon Tea with us, which you felt was wonderful. I will be sure to share this with the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams who will be most grateful for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Not clear to me why anyone would want to stay anywhere else. Our room was quite nice, very well appointed and very well maintainede a distance to get here. Quiet and comfortable with nice view of the garden area. The kind of place that quickly fells comfortable for those of us that came quite a distance to get here and wanted very much to be comfortable.

What is really special about the Montague, though, is the staff. They are second to none, expertly attending to every detail and every single one of them treated us like we were special family. From the dining room first thing in the morning to coming in after being out on the town, every encounter with every member of the staff was impressive. They are super attentive without being overbearing, knew are names right away, and always seemed to take care of us at the speed that matched what we wanted, whether we were in a hurry or just relaxing. I don't know how they do it but somehow they have assembled a world class staff of simply wonderful people.

I also should mention the restaurant and bar. Both are superb. The food is excellent, expertly prepared and presented. I can see why their restaurant gets such great reviews.

If you want great accommodations, in a great location and with a superb staff, this is the place to go. We will never go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go for the garden side.
1  Thank JohnMaryChantilly

Dear guest,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be nice.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and feel at home when staying with us. So it is delightful to know that you felt as though you were treated like family and that every encounter with them was impressive. Your kind feedback is a great motivator for the team and I will be pleased to share this with them and ensure that their hard work and service is duly recognised.

I am equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience our bar and restaurant. Thank you for your comment that the food was excellent: greatly prepared and presented. I will be sure to pass this onto the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to others and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Montague on the Gardens is a truly beautiful Hotel near the British Museum and within walkable distance to the West End.
Our suite was simple immaculate; wonderfully decorated, quiet and spacious, with lovely bathrooms.
The staff were brilliant and extremely helpful. The concierge was very helpful giving us suggestions on nearby restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BAJ89

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you found the Montague to be a truly beautiful hotel. I am pleased that your suite was immaculate, spacious, quiet, wonderfully decorated with a lovely bathroom.

Your comments about the team are most appreciated, it is wonderful to know that they were brilliant and extremely helpful, particularly the Concierge with their restaurant recommendations. Our staff take great interest in ensuring our guests have everything they may need so I am pleased that they assisted you during your time with us.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just spent 3 excellent nights at the Montague on the Gardens. The staff were all very friendly, polite and it seemed that nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts were very nice. As mentioned in other reviews the room we had was a little on the small size but it is a listed building and the room had everything we needed. I would much rather have a smaller room with character than a large 'corporate' standard room.
It was nice to have that personal touch.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boboneill
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your comments are extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations making your stay with us an occasion to remember.

Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room. However, I am thrilled that you felt the room had character and that everything you needed was provided. All of our rooms are decorated differently and personally by our owner and she will be delighted to receive this lovely feedback.

I am pleased that the staff were very friendly and polite and that you found breakfast to be very nice. The team take great interest in our guests to ensure they have a comfortable stay and so it is lovely to know that you felt nothing was too much trouble for them. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The concierge was very helpful. We received a hint of arrogance from some of the staff, perhaps due to our informal American attire. The facility was immaculate and in good repair. The room we had was small, with a smaller bathroom. We only stayed one night; we were to return on two other dates but an emergency surgery prevented that), but that night it was very quiet.

1  Thank frank2176

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your stay at the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that your planned stay with us were unfortunately cancelled due to emergency surgery, I do hope that all is well now.

I would also like to apologise if you felt the staff were arrogant due to your informal attire. I can assure you that our staff aim to make our guests feel comfortable and so I am sorry that you didn’t feel this was the case.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased to read that you experienced a quiet night and that you felt the hotel was immaculate. Your kind comment that the Concierge was very helpful is most appreciated and I will be sure to share this with the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.