“Great hotel, great location”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Peterborough, England
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Situated next to the British Museum & close to theatres, the location for us was perfect. The hotel has a lovely style & comfortable with very attentive staff. Good food, well presented & reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jaygeetee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Redruth Cornwall
Reviewed 22 March 2009

A colleague and I visited The Montague on the Gardens whilsy on business in the capital. Having used other hotels in that area, finding them noisy, uncomfortable and being treated more like a sheep in a herd than a guest we decided to try the Montague. I am so glad that we did! The Montague on the Gardens offers a very personal, individual service in a wonderful environment. The staff are friendly and polite and ensure that all your requirements are met without being over intrustive (quite a skill, believe me!). The rooms are very comfortable and provide wonderful noise pollution protection against the 3am London traffic. The Montague on the Gardens is a small hotel in comparison to many but that is the secret! The service and facilities are second to none and nothing really is too much trouble. We found the food excellent, service in the same bracket and no need to wait for breakfast and you are not hurried or rushed. Fantastically placed for the West End and the University we had no disappointments, only that we did not find it earlier and would not have had to "endure" some of the other hotels around Russell Square. Talking to other guests, they were all returning guests or people who planned to return in the furure, we are now members of the latter. I intend to visit for pleasure later this year with my family and i have no doubt about where we shall stay - The Montague on the Gardens. It is a pleasure to stay at The Montague on the Gardens, more an experience than a simple hotel stay Try it, you wont be disappointed but book early to avoid disappointment. Our thanks and complements to the management and staff.
P.S. The gardens are fantastic too!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank mbenis8164
East Lansing, MIchigan
Reviewed 14 March 2009

So, first the nice things about this hotel--decor was fantastic (quintissential British), nice sitting area, good service, close to museums.

Cons were--a little out-of-the-way for shows (should have stayed a little south in Covent Garden), got woken up a lot by hotel staff despite having do-not-disturb light switched on, ran out of hot water (though this is a British thing--they don't do plumbing very well over there), and the food at the restaurant wasn't the greatest (again, this is a British thing--if you want to eat well in the UK, go to an Indian restaurant!) Given the price, I'm pretty sure I could do better the next time--but if you're an early/non-jet-lagged riser who's into museums and has gobs of cash to burn, this might be the place for you.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 20 March 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent visit to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel, I hope that you had a very pleasant journey home.

As a much-valued guest your feedback is important to us as it does help us to improve the services and facilities we provide.

At the Montague, we pride ourselves in excellent customer care, service and quality of food and anything less is not acceptable. All of our staff are trained to a very high standard to offer the best possible care and I would like to sincerely apologise for the disturbance you encountered during your stay.

I was extremely disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the food in our restaurant. I shall certainly share your experience with the Heads of Departments concerned and will take your comments on board.

I have noted your remarks regarding the temperature of the water and I would like to apologise for this and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have shared your experience with my Chief Engineer and we have arranged for the boiler company to investigate the water temperature and to ensure that any remedial action is taken.

I would like to apologise once again for the disappointments you encountered during your stay and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future to restore your faith in us.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotels and if there is ever anything that we can do for you please let us know.

Yours sincerely

Lancashire
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip and I would definitely return for personal breaks in London.
My room was fairly small but everything else about the hotel more than made up for this. The staff were all extremely efficient and helpful, especially the doorman who was always more than happy to run up to Russell Square to hail a cab for us.
The room was spotlessly clean and seemed to be cleaned twice a day - once during the day and then during the evening turn down service.
Nice little touches such as vouchers for free drinks in the bar, a bowl of fruit in my room on the first evening and a small box of fudge on my pillow the following evenings.
My room was at the front of the hotel so overlooked the road but, other than a 6am delivery of beer one morning, I hardly heard a sound from outside.
This is the best hotel that I've stayed in London - thanks to all the staff at the Montague !

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank peanut0904
Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 March 2009

It was my wife's birthday present. A weekend in London to see the ballet. But this little gem stole the show. Tucked away on a little used side street, just five minutes and a five pound taxi ride from Kings Cross Train station, sits the "Montegue". When they heard it was a birthday present, we got an upgraded room and full english breakfast thrown in. The only thing better then the hotel, was the staff. From the Front Door to reception to bar to waiters to maid staff, we were made to feel right at home and very welcome. Always a smile and a helping hand.

2 Thank SPSchwarz
London
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed here for my 30th Birthday weekend and it was the perfect hotel to spend it in! On arrival, check-in was very quick and we were taken up to one of the double bedrooms on the second floor. As part of our package we had a chilled bottle of champagne waiting as well as a Birthday Card and Happy Birthday sign in chocolate from the hotel!

The room was spotless and it felt the hotel had thought of everything you might need such as free bottles of water, a blue light in the bathroom during the night so you don't have to turn on the main light if you get up in the middle of the night, iron, hairdryer a couple nice comfy seats, etc. The kingsize bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet both nights.

The breakfasts each morning were great with a choice of hot and cold foods. The cooked breakfast buffet was excellent with freshly cooked, high quality meats and eggs etc. Throughout our entire stay the staff were always great but the breakfast area could feel a bit busy at times with the number of staff walking around all at once. I suppose they need this to turn round the tables after a table is finished so everyone can have breakfast.

The location is very good (and very quiet!) next to the British Museum but not on a main road. Holborn and Russell Square underground stations are both within an easy 5 minutes walking distance. One night we walked to Charlotte Street had an excellent Chinese meal at Dim T and then went into Soho for a couple drinks. Both were in an easy 10 minutes walk of the hotel.

If I were to stay in a central London hotel again I would definately stay here and recommend it to all my friends.

2 Thank GingerTravellingScot
Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Stayed for 2 nights to visit British Museum just round the corner. I looked at several Blomsbury hotels and picked this one from its good reviews. Thank you fellow reviewers! Our room was nicely decorated and very comfortable. The staff were brilliant. Very friendly and helpful service throughout our stay. For a London hotel this made a real change and we will definitely go back to the Montague next time.