“Our first but hopefully not last hotel stay in London.”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2009

What a great and memorable first (leisure) hotel break in London. From the moment we stepped up to the entrance of the hotel on arrival to entering the taxi to leave, nothing was too much trouble. All of the staff were a pleasure and made us feel special and welcome straight away.

The room met our expectations. It was comfortable, cool and very relaxing. And just as we requested, it overlooked the gardens.

This was a theatre trip and the hotels proximity to Drury Lane was fantastic - just a stroll to the Theatre Royal to see Oliver.

We really enjoyed our two breakfasts - they set us up more than adequately for the day ahead. We honestly have no negatives to report and would wholeheartedly recommend The Montague on The Gardens to others,

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonLon62
Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed 21 July 2009

Same case as for others who wrote previously, I selected this hotel based on reviews and ranking on this website and was note disappointed. I had no idea about the Montague before and looked at their website. As I had a special request, I was pleased to see that the General Manager had his e-mail available on the homepage. I was even more pleased that he replied promptly and pesonally to my inquiry. Upon arrival we were assigned to one of the garden view rooms, and this coupled with the daily breakfast on the terrace beats many other hotels in London. If you do not want to take time in a taxi from Heathrow, the hotel is located five minutes away from Russell Square Station on the Piccadilly Line, which means no need to change trains from Heathrow, and you access the hotel with a pleasant stroll through the square. As we were then continuing our journey with he Euro Star to Paris, it was even greater as London St Pancras train station is the next station on the line... and Paris just 2 hours and 20 minutes further away. Thank you again for the hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I regularly stay at the Montague in The Gardens when on business, I can honestly say that I hate travelling and staying away from home so a comfortable, reliable and welcoming hotel is much appreciated.

In addition to the location of the hotel and the new renovations in many of the rooms the key attribute of the hotel is its staff who I have always found to be willing to help, friendly and in two words "so accommodating".

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank K1ngfisher
Reviewed 20 July 2009

This hotel was highly recommended to us by some friends who had stayed there in April, and they were 100% spot-on. The hotel is in the quiet Bloomsbury neighborhood by the British Museum, tube stations are close and the staff is outstanding. Whenever we had questions, they were there to help, and they knew our names from day one. Everyone was polite and accommodating. The breakfasts are part of the price, and in London, that is a huge savings. They have an excellent bar, and a terrace, conservatory, and bistro for dining. We ate in all of their venues, and found them all to be excellent. We stayed in a bigger room, but also saw two other smaller rooms and they are all beautifully decorated. Our 10 day stay in London couldn't have been at a more wonderful hotel than this one. I will be recommending this hotel to everyone who goes to London. It truly is the best--and no, it doesn't get any better than this.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vasette
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We arrived at the Montague on the Gardens, expecting a garden to go relax in after a long day of traveling. However, you can only SEE the garden, you cannot go INTO the garden as it is privately owned. We felt a little mislead by that. However, our room was generously-sized and had an extremely comfortable bed and large living and bathroom area. We did have a suite, though, so we expected the size and comfort at that level. The restaurant food was very good, although a bit high-priced. The tea room was beautiful as were all the dining areas. The service, however, was quite spotty, both at the restaurant and in the cleaning room-service category. Some days it would be great, others very disappointing.

The location was wonderful; close to a park, literally across the street from the British Museum (which is amazing), only a couple of blocks to the Underground and to connections for the Hop On, Hop Off bus. The front desk personnel and the concierge service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gonzokent
Reviewed 12 July 2009

You can't beat this hotel's customer service. I've stayed in many West End hotels over the years and usually found them overpriced and understaffed. I learned about The Montague from a travel agent friend who several years ago introduced me to the Red Carnation chain when I took several family members to London. At that time, we stayed at The Chesterfield Mayfair, which I also remember for its fine customer service. This year, I preferred something closer to Theatreland and The Montague fit the bill perfectly. It's a short walk to almost all of the West End theatres and if you choose a theatre that's a little too far to walk (such as Victoria Palace or London Palladium), there are several Tube stations that are within easy walking distance of the hotel's front door.

My room was ready when I arrived at noon, although check-in time isn't normally until 2 p.m. I was elated to be able to check in right away after my overnight flight from Chicago. Jorge went out of his way to accommodate me upon check in, including a quick trip to the desk for an electrical adapter for my week's stay. The high-speed internet (wireless or wired) is free. Other special needs, such as a bed board and in-room yoga mat for my chronic bad back, were met without delay . There was even an elliptical machine next to a garden-view window in my room! Breakfasts were delicious and the staff were attentive and helpful (Carolina was especially gracious.) Although the hotel bills itself as having 24-hour room service, the late-night menu is limited.

They're not bashful about their prices, but this is London. A few months ago, the website "Visit London" sent me an email with special offers for Red Carnation hotels, so I decided to give The Montague a try this year. I'm VERY glad I did! I definitely see myself returning to this hotel and would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank chitowncpa
Reviewed 12 July 2009

trip advisor gave the montague a top rating and we were not disappointed, staying for 8 days in May.
our room was comfortable and well appointed although a little on the small size if there were more than 2 people in there.
the staff were always courteous and obliging of any request

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple