“The perfect London retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
“The perfect London retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

At the end of our two week vacation (and wedding) in the Caribbean we wanted to end on a high note and so we decided that a night in London to take in a show, Mamma Mia as it happened would be the perfect thing. After reading some reviews on trip advisor I chose The Montague on the Gardens and I feel that I made a very good choice.

I booked a junior suite directly with the hotel and enquired if an early check in would be possible as our flight arrived in London Gatwick at 5.30 am. The hotel told me that we could definitely have the room at 12 noon and earlier if possible.

We actually arrived at the hotel at about 9.30, planning to just leave our bags and freshen up before we went out for a walk for a few hours. We checked in very easily and were told that our room would be ready by 11am. So a quick coffee in a local café and a look into the British museum (literally, just around the corner) and back to the hotel for a much needed siesta.

The room was decorated in a “heavy traditional English style” but the separate sitting room, bathroom and separate en suite shower were more than satisfactory. The bed was very comfortable and with the help of the blackout curtains we were soon asleep.

We had a light pre-theatre dinner on the terrace at the rear of the gardens which was delightful, the main courses were very tasty, perfectly cooked and nicely portioned.

When we returned to our room after the theatre we found a selection of fresh fruits along with a card from the management offering congratulations on our marriage. Did I mention the bottle of champagne that arrived at our room earlier in the day, again courtesy of the hotel?

Breakfast in room was excellent and we were able to pack and check out in a very leisurely manner as check out was 12 noon.

The Montague on the Gardens is a well located hotel, although the décor is rather traditional (even garish by modern minimalist norms) the room was extremely comfortable, the food was excellent and the courtesy and professionalism of the staff was second to none.

1 Thank Steve C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

This hotel has everything going for it. It is well-situated in central London. The neighborhood is very quiet and there is a tranquil private park on the backside of the hotel that opens it up to light and greenery from the cozy restaurant terrace. The service is the best I have ever had a four star hotel. It came close to the best I ever experienced at the Four Seasons. The bellman and the waiters in the restaurant were exceptionally good. The rooms are smallish, but not so small as to be annoying, as some are in Central London.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Tom Price
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

The Montague on The Gardens was an amazing hotel, fantastic staff extremely helpful and moreover friendly, the rooms a bit tight but decor superb with comfort levels high. The food and beverage facilities and staff simply delighful. When I return to London thats where I'll be staying

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank JJmuzzy
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

My husband and I stayed for four nights in July 2009. Through the hotel I booked a car to meet us at Heathrow upon our arrival. The driver was waiting for us and drove us pointing out the sights on the way. Immediately on our arrival the concierge's Mustafa and Jorge met us and asked Sam to check us in. They were all so helpful and our room exceeded our expections. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom was spacious and equiped with all amenties needed. The dining rooms and bar were beautifully furnished with great service and food. I would highly recommend Montague on the Garden and look forward to our return visit next year.

1 Thank lgel
La Jolla, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

Spent one night in London and decided to return to this well located (next to The British Museum) property in the Bloomsbury area. While an older building the hotel is attractive and well maintained. Friendly, efficient check in. Our bellman gave us a refresher tour of the hotel's facilities and went over every detail in our room (climate control, flat screen TV, safe,etc). Rooms are not huge but are very efficiently designed and comfortable. Nice bed and linens. Our room (some type of a small suite) had two bathrooms both were nice and clean. There were also two flat screen TV's and a seperate area for our daughters fold out bed. Great shower with water grate in ceiling.

Our train was leaving very early and we missed breakfast in the dining room. The hotel was nice enough to send up coffee, juice, and some toast so we would not leave hungry.Check out was quick and our cab arrived right on time after the bellman called for us.

I have now had two very positive experiences staying here and would not hesitate to stay again if/when I return to London. The hotel seems very British and has a welcoming, comfortable feel to it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Anrmd
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

Superb hotel, one of the best so far. Good atmosphere throughout. The staff are very professional yet friendly, always smiling and extremely helpful. We had been trying unsuccessfully, to purchase tickets to watch 'Oliver' before Rowan Atkinson left the show. However,the concierge managed to obtain two top class tickets for us and we had an excellent evening. Thank you Mustafa! So pleased we are now hoping to spend New Year at The Montague.

2 Thank Staffshr
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

This hotel is perfectly situated in London, is very comfortable, and I would likely stay again. Having said that, from all of the glowing reviews on this site, I expected considerably more.

We stayed in a Bloomsbury King suite at the stay 4 nights get one night free rate so our total room bill was GBP 780 (with taxes GBP 897). This rate did not include breakfast (thank the good lord).

Our room was one of the ones with stairs (with the bathroom at the top of the stairs and the bed and "sitting area" at the bottom) - nothing about this was said to us either at the time of booking or check in. My partner and I can both negotiate stairs without a problem but I don't really want to have to do that in the middle of the night. The hotel needs to make more of a point of addressing this with clients when they book.

The decor was ornate with fabric on the wall and several on this site have raved about it. Couple the decor with the perfumed air in the room and it was all a bit twee for me.

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The sitting area was unusable because it was a vinyl mattress type thing in a narrow alcove and the overhead light did not work. The room had what seemed to be an overly complex electrical system of alerting housekeeping to whether the room was to be cleaned or for the occupants to not be disturbed - once the service room light was activated, there was no getting it off (by us or hotel staff) so we had housekeeping popping in unbidden. The same system controlled the blinds of the room and the hotel staff were unfamiliar with that operation also. We finally figured it out.

We opted to eat breakfast at the hotel once as we wanted a nice big breakfast. It was not to be - the breakfast was godawful. The food was basic and unappealingly presented. The pastries seemed similar to what one might find packaged in a shop and the eggs and meats portions of the breakfast were rather revolting. In essence, we ended up paying GBP33 for toast and coffee. We opted for coffees and pastries elsewhere for the rest of our stay.

The hotel staff were alll very friendly and nice if somewhat inept. Sophisticated service this is not and tasks that are routinely expected of concierge staff, for exampe, seemed to mystify them.

Based on reviews on this site, we arranged for car service to Heathrow through the hotel. This cost GBP 55, rather than the 35 cited elsewhere. Long story short - take a cab. The cost will be about the same and they will be able to handle your luggage more effectively than the hotel can. If you don't have massive bags - take the tube.

When we checked in, we were asked which paper we wanted delivered to our room - not whether we wanted a paper and what the cost was. We specified which paper, assuming this was complimentary, only to have the minor annoyance of noting that we had paid for every bloody paper delivered to our room! If the paper is not going to be provided as part of the room rate, then that needs to be spelled out at the time of check in. The hotel also made a GBP 1 "donation" to the Starlight Foundation on our behalf - or rather, they billed us GBP 1 so they could make their donation. Once again, no mention of this practice at the time of check in. Bizarre.

In essence, I think what this hotel has to recommend it is its location and the comfortable bed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank random56
MontagueLondon, Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 13 August 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your visit to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel and for your feedback, which is very important to us in order that we may improve on the services and facilities we provide.

I was extremely concerned to read that you were not happy with the room that was allocated to you, and I would like to apologise for the disappointment the various issues you have raised would have caused to you. Being a boutique hotel, our rooms do vary in size, style and décor and I do appreciate how this may not be to everyone’s tastes. I am very sorry that this information was not given to you at the time of booking.

Thank you for your advice with regards to the overhead light not working and for the over active service light. We will revisit all of the guest rooms and take any necessary remedial action. We will also revisit this area of staff training to ensure that a similar incident does not recur in future.

I was extremely disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the breakfast and I would like to apologise for this. We pride ourselves in excellent food quality at The Montague and anything less is not acceptable, and it would appear that we clearly failed on this occasion. We have taken your feedback on board and we have made the necessary adjustments to reflect the points that you have raised.

I am very sorry that the service provided to you by our Concierge team did not meet your expectations and was inadequate for your needs. All of our staff are trained to offer our guests a very high service and I can only apologise for your disappointment in this area.

We have worked with our car company for many years, and they are extremely professional and provide highly trained drivers and up to date cars. By using a private car company we are providing our guests with a safer alternative to random car companies, and we are offering a fixed price regardless of the traffic conditions.

I was very surprised to read that my reception team did not explain that the house newspaper is free of charge, and that other newspapers are available at an extra cost.

The Starlight Foundation is one of our chosen charities and Red Carnation Hotels donate £1 for every £1 donated by our guests and the reception team should have explained this to you. Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion this would have caused to you. It was not our intention to confuse you or to cause offence. This charge is totally discretionary and can be removed from the account at the guest’s request.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies once again for all of the disappointments you encountered during your stay. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel in order to restore your faith in us.

Yours sincerely