“average”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I am afraid to say I was dissapointed by my stay at this hotel. I did a lot of research to find the best place I could for my budget to suprise my husband with a weekend away. I purposefully purchased an upgrade to a 'King ' room. This cost me £180.50 per room per night B&B. However when I arrived I discovered the 'King room' I had bought was not as I expected the newer 'bloomsbury King' rooms but one of the older rooms with a King bed. I was very dissapointed by the room. It had old decoration and a plastic moulded sink unit in the bathroom - Not the lovely new 'bloomsbury King' you see on the website. I have to say had I got one of these newly decorated roms I do not think I would have been dissapointed, but I didn't!
I felt that for a hotel which is number 4 in London on trip advisor it wasn't that great. The Service was OK - nothing to complain about but nothing to shout about either. The receptionist 'got my goat' at the beggining of check in by saying 'ah Mrs P*****, we have upgraded you to a King room' I said- actulaly I have paid extra to book a king room!
Breakfast was ok. They do cook your eggs to order which is great, but it takes forever to get them, and my poached eggs were rock hard one morning, and undercooked , with runny whites the next!.
The location is excellent, a nice quiet street, very close to theatreland and the British museum, you can even walk from Kings Cross on 20 minutes.
I wouldn't stay here again, but i'd definitly come back for afternoon tea, we saw some people in the bar having it and it looked amazing!
Basically I'd advise if you do decide to stay here make sure you get a new 'Bloomsbury' room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoeboey
Write a ReviewReviews (4,332)

Reviewed 1 September 2009

Just had my dream birthday party at this beautiful, warm and friendly venue.

I had been searching for a classy venue. From the moment I spoke to Jolanta, I knew I had found my venue/Event Manager, even though this hotel initially did not meet some of my requirements. Watching her surmount numerous challenges including provision of ethnic food, drinks, decoration and other arrangements, with the level of professionalism that one can only hope for, was inspiring. Her ability and willingness to explore all options is second to none, also evident was the 'can do' support of every member of the team, 'including me' as I grew to believe! They are quite accommodating - whatever your requirements:

Chef was quite flexible without compromising his standards, health and safely. That marked the beginning of SUCCESS! Food was great - both the Nigerian & western dishes - everything. His new way of frying plantain went down a treat!

Gerhard, Operations Manager - Forever smiling, willing to help and always delivering. The banqueting suite was as beautifully decorated as he had assured me. The cake and the projector were well displayed. The operations before and on the day were very professional.

Mohammed & Chief - They ensured that everybody got whatever food and drinks they wanted.

The Reception and Concierge staff were all fantastic. I hope I have not excluded anybody because everyone I came in contact with was professional.

The bedrooms are beautiful and your guests can also book and stay in the hotel overnight or longer.

I am aware and very appreciative that at times they went extra miles to ensure the day was that SPECIAL for me and their tireless and professional efforts did not go unnoticed by all my guests. I have already had an enquiry about using this venue for a wedding and I'm sure more enquiries/contracts will arise as a result of my party. Everyone who has spoken to me about the party has had great compliments for Jolanta and her team.

Now here is the problem - Having felt like part of this fab team for the last couple of weeks, how do I handle my 'withdrawal syndrome'! Anyway, I'd be visiting for 'afternoon tea' (which I also highly recommend), and hopefully will see some of my new friends again.

2  Thank LondonClassyLady
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Booked this hotel through Superbreaks as present for daughter's 18th. When the staff knew it was my daughter's 18th they put a balloon in the room and a plate of chocolates and a card which was a really nice touch. The staff couldn't do enough for you and were always there to offer you advice on the best way to get to places and things to do. There was a very good choice at breakfast both hot and cold. We went seeing Wicked and the Lion King both of which I would highly recomend. My daughter really enjoyed her weekend and I am looking forward to going back to the hotel in November for my friends birthday.

1  Thank triggerWigan
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This is the third time I have stayed at this superb hotel and it gets better every time.
I booked through Superbreak for a one night stay and a show and I travelled with my friend.
The location of the hotel is very good its almost next door to the British Museum and within easy walking distance to Covent Garden and Leicester Sq. Also if you are travelling to London by train from the west via Paddington you can get one bus straight to the hotel (Russell Sq is the last stop)
When we arrived our room was not ready but we spent approx 45mins in the comfortable lounge enjoying complimentary afternoon tea (fantastic) We were also given an upgrade to a suite that was wonderful (check out the rooms on the hotels web site) they have all been refurbished since I stayed their last. The breakfast is superb.
The staff were very professional and helpful.
Its not cheap to stay here but it is worth every penny, besides you would be staying in a 4 star hotel in central London!

1  Thank 19,691,972
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This is nice hotel in good place and service is excellent, but if You looking for ultimate luxury hotel, keep looking. Me and my wife stayed 6 nights in Master Suite (offer, stay 3 nights, pay two). We were looking something special.

Here are my reasons why I can´t give this hotel five stars:
- When You check in, they ask You do You want newspaper. What they don´t tell, is that they charge You from that. It´s not complimentary.
- Our Master suite didn´t look as glorious as photos in their website. Room has some wearines.
- Our DVD player didn´t work at the beginning. Only when I discovered that DVD´s scart was not connected to TV, I was able to fix that myself. Room electronics should work when You come in.
- If You want listen Your own CD´s, You have to use DVD+TV combo, so sound is pretty awful.
- It was difficult to get our DVD movies to show in TV. You have to put ch 17 from TV, and only then You can see DVD´s picture. There was no manual or mention about this anywhere.
- Evening canapés was 4 strawberries covered with chocolate. Nice, but bit booring when you have same thing every evening (and once they forget it).
- Minibar was switched off. Again, I fix it myself. Plug was not in ceiling. Room electronics should work when You come in.
- They add, without asking, extra 1£ to your room bill when You are checking out. It´s somekind of donation to charity... from Your pocket.
-offer didn´t include breakfast (and You are paying hefty price for that room)

So, too much little thing that can be annoying.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susivatkain
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The staff in this hotel is extremely service-oriented...their attention to detail is fabulous; the rooms were clean and well-appointed; food was fabulous in the restaurant; overall great hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Londontraveler0709
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Had to spent months away from home and found the Montague through a colleague - really made the difference to my trips. The excellent staff make you feel comfortable and welcome. Cosy, yet stylish rooms and wonderful garden terrace with great kitchen.
Makes me feel at home in London.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business