“Excellent Hotel”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed for one night with my mum to celebrate my 40th Birthday.
The staff were very friendly and attentive without being over the top.
Room was very nicely decorated and very clean.
Cooked breakfast was excellent and the location was fabulous. 15 minute walk from Euston station and 15 minutes from Covent Garden.
Will definatley stay again, next time I am in London, but will hopefully have a couple of nights and can take advantage of the outside dining area, overlooking the gardens.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank Huxley94

Reviewed 8 September 2009

I have now stayed at this hotel over forty times. It is a superb hotel which truly believes that no service is too small. The staff are magnificent and I am always delighted by the very warm welcome which I receive again and again. The food is excellent and the differently decorated bedrooms are enchanting. As an academic I find that the location, next to the British Museum and the University of London, is a treasured bonus!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank PhiloExeter
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My partner and I stayed here for two nights, with our two-year-old son, as guests at a friend's wedding. It was an absolutely fantastic break; the room was a pretty modest double but was beautifully decorated and squeaky clean. The housekeeping was excellent, making sure we had everything we might need for our toddler, without our even asking. In fact, all the staff were absolutely brilliant with him, friendly and caring. Food was fantastic, the wedding was great -- one of the best hotels I've stayed in, and would definitely recommend it to families.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Bizzles
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Recently stayed at the Montague for six nights in a Bloomsbury King room. The room was large enough by London standards and beautifully decorated. The staff were extremely attentive and could not do enough for us, even calling a series of laundrettes to check they were open on a Sunday to save us from searching the steets with our big bags of dirty clothes.
The location is execellent being right around the corner from the British Museum and within walking distance of Covent Garden and Leicester Square.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again when I am next in London.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katt
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My 2nd visit to this hotel with my daughter for our west end weekend. Great Location walkable from Euston . We had booked only one night to grab a show and shop ! This hotel really does have those finishing touches , quality fittings that make a weekend treat special.
However, the room we had this time was quite awkward to manouvre around. Maybe less furniture should be considered. Maybe pay extra for an upgrade. We booked through Superbreak with a discount. Luckily we weren't in the room much and it was great for what we needed. Fab bathroom, robes,slippers, rain shower , bottled water , tea tray. etc. Breakfast was a good choice and service was efficient and polite. Concerige Staff will look after luggage for you, order taxi's ( only £4.80 to Covent Garden)
We walked back from West End after show. Loads of resteraunts near by. We opted for Sophies Steakhouse pre theatre menu . On our return, great to have room tidied and a turn down service.
Yes , I would return but if a stopping a few nights would ask for a room change/upgrade.
Many hotels in London have small rooms , and this hotel deserves it high recommendations on its quality, location and first class service.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2009

our (my wife and i ,our two children)7 days stay was wonderful.the hotel is small,very british and located next to the british museum in the very quiet bloomsbury area.we had the luck to stay all together in a very comfortable double room suite(the earl suite).the service was simply excellent with the personnel always ready,well trained and smiling..we loved the full english breakfast and also the restaurant was good ( try the lamb ribs with dauphinoise potatoes).the best part was having sometimes breakfast and dinner outdoors facing the rear gardens.we hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lgiuliano
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I am afraid to say I was dissapointed by my stay at this hotel. I did a lot of research to find the best place I could for my budget to suprise my husband with a weekend away. I purposefully purchased an upgrade to a 'King ' room. This cost me £180.50 per room per night B&B. However when I arrived I discovered the 'King room' I had bought was not as I expected the newer 'bloomsbury King' rooms but one of the older rooms with a King bed. I was very dissapointed by the room. It had old decoration and a plastic moulded sink unit in the bathroom - Not the lovely new 'bloomsbury King' you see on the website. I have to say had I got one of these newly decorated roms I do not think I would have been dissapointed, but I didn't!
I felt that for a hotel which is number 4 in London on trip advisor it wasn't that great. The Service was OK - nothing to complain about but nothing to shout about either. The receptionist 'got my goat' at the beggining of check in by saying 'ah Mrs P*****, we have upgraded you to a King room' I said- actulaly I have paid extra to book a king room!
Breakfast was ok. They do cook your eggs to order which is great, but it takes forever to get them, and my poached eggs were rock hard one morning, and undercooked , with runny whites the next!.
The location is excellent, a nice quiet street, very close to theatreland and the British museum, you can even walk from Kings Cross on 20 minutes.
I wouldn't stay here again, but i'd definitly come back for afternoon tea, we saw some people in the bar having it and it looked amazing!
Basically I'd advise if you do decide to stay here make sure you get a new 'Bloomsbury' room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple