“Great Atmosphere & Superb Service”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
ny
“Great Atmosphere & Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

We spent 6 nights at the Montague and loved it. I was hesitant at check in because I requested quiet rooms and the only thing available was the first floor. We were given a triple room and a king room, both facing the back of the hotel. The front desk staff assured me that the rooms would be quiet and they were. Once or twice I heard some plumbing noises, but that was not enough to bother me. I know there were several kids in the hotel, but we did not hear any voices or doors or anything like that.
It was so nice to stay in a hotel with a real British feel to it and not a major chain hotel (which was our other option). The decor is beautiful, charming and warm. The rooms were extremely clean and well maintained. The only difficulty we had was that the toilet didn't flush easily.
I must note that the concierges, the doormen, the bartenders, the front desk staff, housekeeping, etc were all extremely attentive and helpful. We were made to feel very welcome and comfortable at the Montague. The concierges helped us with football tickets, dinner reservations, directions, taxis (especially in the rain) and other advice.
People have complained that the rooms were too small. We found them to be tight, but sufficient. We did not unpack, preferring to live out of our suitcases and we were able to leave them neatly on the floor by the beds without any problem.
I did miss having a clock in the room, I recommend taking a travel clock.
If you use the tube, I recommend using the Holburn stop as it has escalators (instead of lifts).
I highly recommend the Montague and hope to return one day.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bcaha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

For my husband's birthday, I thought I would take him to see a show and stay in a luxury 4 star hotel.

We arrived at the hotel about 20 mins before check-in, where they took took my credit card details again (gave details over the first time for the reservation. which they had on the reservation form, so not sure why required again). Was told room was not yet ready, so we dropped off our bags and headed off into town to kill some time.

Got back and our room was ready and was the type of room I had reserved, a black & white Bloomsbury King. A relatively small room, but had room to squeeze in King sized bed and a fixed spare bed. Bathroom was bright and well laid out. Good sized TV and everything you could need in room - i.e. tea, coffee, bottled water, slippers.....

Soon after we settled in, we got a call to see how we were. After about 30 mins, there was a knock a the door, which before we got a chance to say anything or get up, someone was letting themselves in, which turned out to be a porter bringing a complimentary packet of handmade cookies, a plate inscribed Happy Birthday in chocolate, a balloon and 2 Belgian style chocs - very nice touch, they must have noted down when I reserved the room that it was my Husband's birthday.

About 5.30pm, we then got a another knock at the door, again before we have the chance to get up, someone was letting themselves in, got to the door and it was housekeeping asking if we wanted to have the bed turned down, which we declined.

The 2 pillows each on the bed were very under-filled feather pillows and disintegrated into nothing when laid on. The feather duvet was too small for the bed and due to the bed being one of the twin beds zipped together, there was a big ridge in the middle which was quite uncomfortable when laid on.

Breakfast was a big disappointment. When we arrived we were asked what we wanted continental or full English, we said full English and were directed to a room which had a hot counter with elements of a full English breakfast. We sat at the table and were promptly offered a hot beverage and toast and then since it seemed to be self service, we got up to get food. The food looked unappetising - loads of fat on the bacon, sausages looked pale and generally unappealing. I opted at this point to go continental and stayed safe - I don't trust hot counter food. My husband did risk the full English, but was disappointed with the quality and the price. The tea I had was well stewed and the toast was cold and chewy. Had I known what we would get for our money, I would have opted to not have the breakfast. £13.50 for the continental and £16.50 for the full English.

At check out, we were asked how our stay was and I said everything was great accept for the breakfast being self service for the full English, she said that if we had asked? we could have had them cook a full English in the kitchen for us, but as I pointed out to her, no one suggested this and it seemed that self service was all that was on offer, I told her that I had not had the full English because of this, she didn't seem to care. The bill was then presented with a £33 charge on it for the restaurant, which I queried and she advised that this was for the breakfast. I prompted advised that the room reservation I had made included breakfast, which she then checked and confirmed - very cheeky.

Overall, the hotel was in the perfect location for us to go to the theatre and the room was pleasant enough, the nice touch was the chocolates and cookies – this was sweet but the breakfast really let this 4 star hotel down.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

The Montague on the Gardens is a fairly compact hotel located just off Russell Square, I booked a 2 night break over the New Year for my wife and I which included a Gala Dinner, at over £640.00 it wasn’t cheap by any means and when you pay those prices you expect exceptional service.
On arrival the reception staff were excellent, we were checked in early and given lots of information about the hotel, the doorman was also very helpful with instructions and local information.
Our room was incredibly small with not much room for manoeuvre, the view out of the window was of a solid brick wall about 6 feet away, however not letting this deter us we carried on, after a fantastic shower which was very powerful and refreshing we had a walk in to Londons West end, this part of town is only a short walk away but you do have to turn several corners and getting back can be a farce, best to use the tube (Russell Square Station is just around the corner from the hotel).
The food served in the restaurant at the Gala Dinner was 1st class, more than adequate portions and with service second to none (well done Jamie), one thing to be careful of is when ordering wine with Dinner ask for prices as a basic bottle of Rose cost us over £34.00, Moet is cheaper in restaurants just around the corner.
Breakfast is buffet style and i have to say not very good, the scrambled eggs were poor and the back bacon oven baked, the breakfast served at most Premier Inn’s are of equal if not better quality, I just feel the hotel is letting itself down with the buffet breakfast of low quality.
One thing worth mentioning is the traffic light system in place for every room, this is operated from a switch located next to your bed, red for do not disturb, green for service room and off for... well nothing, if its on Green or not on at all the staff feel free to walk in on you, as i found out when i stepped out of the shower!
Over all a great place to stay but other hotels with a more central location offer equally good service and quality for the same price, and they dont charge £5.00 ph for internet use!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

Stayed here for New Years. Was initially disappointed with room as it was very small, got moved to a slightly but very slightly bigger room which was equally well appointed and tastefully decorated. Over the three days the staff were fantastic and catered for all our needs in an attentive and appropriate manner. Breakfast was great and New Years Eve Dinner to die for. Bar is really nice for a nightcap. Free inernet was also great. Will definitely stay here again but may book a bigger room

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CORKROSS
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

Stayed for 3 nights at The Montague on The Gardens after reading the reviews on tripadvisor & a Newspaper review. Maybe our expectations were high - but unfortunately they were not met. The Location of Montague on The Gardens was fantastic. and we stayed in The Marquis Suite which was 'nice' but nothing special. The bathroom was extremely small and the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor. The suite was not large or luxurious but what one would expect from a 4 star establishment. I do not consider "a nightly delivery of fresh canapés" to be 4 strawberries dipped in chocolate - so once again all things considered - a little disappointing. Having said that - George - the concierge was very helpful - but I felt that the rest of the staff were nothing special.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara N
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

Having just retrned from a 2 night break i would like to thank all the wonderful staff for a lovely stay.
The hotel is in a wonderful position for all the west end shows, all within walking distance. The staff could'nt be more attentive. The cleanliness of all the hotel has to be congratulated.
We tend to book the smaller hotel because they tend to be more personal and the staff smaller so ensuring that the staff know one another better and in that way the atmosphere of the hotel becomes more personal and happy.
We would certainly stay again bt not in room 118 which to be quite honest finds it difficult to accomodate a king size bed.
The only room for improvement would be the food which did,nt seem to match the wonderful surroundings and service. The menu was more gastro pub. The only real grumble we had was again the food when i ordered a lamb curry from the bar menu and had to send it back. It was poor.
But all in all this is an excellent hotel and may we thank the wonderful staff for being so attentive.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ostenstad
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

I did not actually stay here and that made it all the more impressive. I was with a female friend and we asked the doorman for some help which another hotel along the road had already refused to give. All the staff in the reception area were incredibly charming and helpful to two strangers who were not even residents. Truly good Samaritans. They helped us unreservedly and did not seem to expect any reward. We did give them a good tip, however.

We came back later for tea and while it was expensive, it was excellent. The lounge was extremely comfortable and we really felt that we could recommend the hotel to anyone. If you want a hotel at this level, I would not hesitate.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends