“I felt like the Queen!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Knokke
“I felt like the Queen!”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Location is great; at the heart of London.
I absolutely loved the style of the hotel. The restaurant offered lovely meals, and breakfast was top class!
The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable.
They have a very nice garden. An unexpected surplus in the center of London.

This hotel offers the best service I've ever experienced. I was treated like the Queen of England!

(Nicole)

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank NicoleVanHekken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp
Reviewed 16 March 2010

This hotel had everythinhg I was looking for in London. The staff gave me a warm welcome on my arrival. They made me feel at home right away, and were very helpfull during the whole weekend. I was absolutely charmed by the warm English-style decoration of the hotel. The room had everything I wished for, and more. The hotel also has a beatifull garden, in the centre of London!
The location of the hotel is great. It's central location allowed me to explore the whole of London.
The dinner I had in the restaurant was lovely. And the English breakfast they offer, is how every breakfast should be!!

I'm looking forward to my next stay in the Montague on the gardens hotel!

(Filip De Bie)

• Stayed March 2010
US
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We were here last year for our 26th wedding anniversary and loved it!

Wonderful part: Romantic: small sun room for cozy eating, outside stone patio (with heaters/plastic screen if cold) for eating, piano in bar, larger conservatory overlooking garden area=romantic places to chat. Great location: within a block of the British Museum, within steps of bus stops (great for zipping around London and hopping on/off with oyster card), and walking distance to several subway stops, felt like safe area for strolling. Half a block from a nice square for strolling--square has a fountain, a little place for tea/coffee, fun to watch dogs frolicking on morning walks there, etc. Hotel staff was very customer-friendly. Our room was on the entrance street but the street is fairly quiet at night and curtains are heavy--little outside noise. Bedroom walls were padded. Great buffet breakfast in the morning. We were there in off season--lots of businessmen.

Not-so-wonderful: Beautiful but tiny room--could not walk by each other (very high ceiling kept room from being claustrophobic); bath had a shower with "half door" and water came down from ceiling--directly on your head; no real dresser for clothes, no small frig. When we explored the hotel, we discovered that some hall areas had floor boards that are very creaky--this is an old place that's been restored. We asked for a fan for white noise (just to cover conversations in hall) and was told none was available. Not many really good restaurants within walking distance--but upside is that this is a fairly quiet area compared to other areas of London.

Summary: a few minor disappointments but overall loved it and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 14 March 2010

This was a very disapppointing stay. We'd been recommended to stay here (because of the great location near West End and British Museum and supposedly quintessentially English boutique hotel) but it was very expensive for very little. The room was TINY! With monstrously loud wallpaper that made the room appear even smaller. One of us had to be sitting on the bed if the other was to move around/go to the bathroom. Getting the breakfast tray in the room in the morning was a major logistics feat. We had to put furniture in the cupboard to have room for our four bags under a table. The fan did not work in the bathroom so everything was steamy most of the time. The gym room was tiny tiny: a treadmill and an elliptical. That was it. And all the staff are from Hungary so if you are looking for English speaking guest service, then you have come to the wrong place. We stayed one night. The second night was at a Hilton: 1/2 the price of the Montague, as good a location and much more space in the room.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TamsinPlush
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 March 2010

We stayed in a suite in this hotel and left dissapointed. We arrived after recommended check in time and the room was not ready. Eventually after drinking coffee in the lobby to pass the time, we left for the afternoon with our bags still at reception and came back later.
The room was comfortable, and spacious, but attention to detail definitely not what we would've expected (eg. Safe instructions for use removed, heating in the lounge area erratic, no door chains with which to latch the door from the inside, no plug in the vicinity of the kettle).
What troubled us the most however, was inability to get a decent nights rest because of noise from creaky floor boards - loud enough to prevent sleep.
On the plus side the hotel is in a good location, the staff very polite and helpful, and the ambience in the hotel around Christmas time was lovely.
We would however pick differently next time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SAtraveller93
BWI
Reviewed 13 March 2010

There has to be a reason why this hotel is consistently rated among the top ten in London. Do you think, just maybe, it's because of the staff? I first noticed this hotel while I was out walking during a business trip to London in September 2009. The doorman standing on the steps was very friendly and we had a chat. I made a quick tour of the lobby and sitting room and was utterly charmed. At the time, I was staying in one of those soulless concrete-and-glass tower blocks that can be found in almost any city core across the world. So, as an experiment, I booked a room at the Montague for my next trip (three weeks in Feb/March 2010). I later checked the reviews on this website and, as is my habit, I read all the "poor" reviews (I think there were 8 of them). Most complained about small rooms and indifferent meals, but they all bore the distinct stamp of travellers who either failed to educate themselves about the building the hotel occupies (it looks to be about 200 years old) or they're that ubiquitous type whom nothing will ever please. I also noted that none of them appears to have complained to the manager at the time; they just went home and filed carping reviews on this website. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, I wrote to the Montague's general manager ahead of my trip and asked if he could set aside one of his "larger rooms" for me in light of my planned extended stay. He wrote back almost immediately and assured that everything would be done to ensure my comfort. And indeed it was! I arrived at the front desk at 11:00 in the morning, completely thrashed from a very long overnight flight. I was instantly taken in hand by Mustafa, the head concierge, who escorted me to a soft seat in the lounge and personally attended to booking me in. Mustafa and his team are amazing, and the young ladies on the front desk are delightful (thank you again, Daniella!) When I asked for coffee in my room, as I did every morning, it appeared almost instantly. When I needed a taxi, one of Mustafa's gentlemen would dash up the street, rain or shine, to flag one for me. No one... and I mean no one... ever stuck a hand out for a tip. Frankly, I simply cannot find anything about this hotel to grumble about. My wife joined me for the final week of the business portion of my trip and then we took a short trip to Paris. Mustafa stored the bulk of our luggage for the time we were away, and the hotel provided us with a lovely room on our return. The staff at this hotel are unique. The Montague will now be my home base on all trips to London, business or pleasure. (I guess that's the key to running a great hotel... make your guests feel so welcome that they'll want to return just to see their friends who work there.)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Louisiana
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My family and I have just finished booking out summer visit to London. We began with a list of twenty hotels and began narrowing the choices by contacting reservations, etc. at each hotel. We have selected The Montague, primarly because their reservation booking agents have been extraordinarily helpful. We encourage fellow travelers planning a trip this summer to London not to rely merely on the hotel's website for booking (which is somewhat confusing), but to discuss your plans with the hotel's booking agents directly (we used email). They have exceeding by miles the service we received from other hotels' reservation agents.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family