“Quaint London hotel with modern day services”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Quaint London hotel with modern day services”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Montague for ten days on our honeymoon, and it was an absolute pleasure. This hotel is in Bloomsbury, which is a perfect location for traveling in and around London, as it is really in the center of everything. The hotel, however, is on a quiet street that is less than a block from the British museum, and a short walk from three different Tube stations. The inside of the hotel has a lot of quaint, old English charm that you would expect to find at a B&B, however it is not run like a B&B (thank goodness). They have a full staff of concierges who are extremely knowledgeable and ready to assist with literally anything you might require. The check in attendants and the bellboys are also equally helpful and ready to assist you in any way. Another plus for American travelers is this hotel has an (albeit small) elevator and air conditioning in all rooms! It also has internet that is run through the plasma screen TV in the room, so you don't need to worry about traveling with your laptop. Maid service comes into the room two times a day; one time in the morning to clean the room, and one time at night to turn down the bed and leave delicious cookies, candies, etc. The service in this hotel is equal to those of the five-star Las Vegas hotels, such as the Wynn. I cannot say enough about how amazing this hotel was, and how it enabled my husband and I to have a stress-free honeymoon. This is the perfect hotel for anyone who really wants to get a "London experience", but still wants modern conveniences. I encourage everyone to stay here, and I also encourage you to make use of the concierges- ours became our best friend while there!

1 Thank StephanieLeavitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

The Montague is a ream gem. It is warm and welcoming from the moment you step through the door. The bedrooms at the back overlooking the garden are quiet. My room was lovely - not big but very comfortable. It is old fashioned in all the best ways. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Kingmaker
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed 3 nights in this lovely small hotel finding it to be a wonderful location for exploring London. Although the hotel is in the middle of the city, the rooms facing the garden were extraordinarily quiet and a welcome oasis. Our room had been renovated recently and we found it to be modern, well appointed and very well maintained. The highlight of our stay however is their extraordinary staff. The front desk and the concierge were exceptionally welcoming, accommodating of special requests and very well informed. When we did have one awkward moment upon arrival the entire staff went to work not only to rectify the problem but to create a resolution beyond our expectations. This hotel offered us excellent value as we took advantage of one of their special offers making this a hotel worthwhile stay in every way.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbgaa
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

If you're thinking of booking at the Montague, you've already made the imaginative leap to what a four-star hotel in London costs. Given that, the Montague is excellent value for money. We found the staff helpful and pleasant without being obtrusive or obsequious. The location is perfect, very close to the British museum and the pleasant Russell Square, walking distance to Covent Garden, Soho, the Strand, and several Tube stops/lines. Our room - a deluxe Bloomsbury King (on the "may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" theory) - was big by any standard, with a separate step-down dressing/lounge area and a big marble bathroom in addition to a generously proportioned bedroom. Room was gorgeously quiet: no street noise, no hotel noise. Decor may not be what I'd choose in my own home but was very nice and not at all shabby (as per some reviews here): perhaps they are refurbishing rooms? Ceiling in the BR was very high, adding to the sense of spaciousness. The room is thoughtfully appointed with good bath products, a selection of books and magazines, and even a few office supplies. Turndown service at bedtime is a very nice touch and they offer a more extensive room service than I've experienced, with the option of movie snacks etc. Only ate at the Blue Door Bistro once, where the food was very good. (We did not opt for breakfast.) Wifi worked great in our room for all devices; it's free. There's also TV-based internet if you don't bring a laptop, and high-speed wired internet too. Room has A/C and windows that open. Don't count on the fitness centre, though honesty compels me to report they have one: it's 2 bikes and a treadmill. Hotel is pet-friendly, which worried me a little (we are not dog people) but there was no sign of pets in our room. We got a special rate of 184/night and I feel we got excellent value for our money. It's very nice to be here when the Cdn dollar is strong, since I'm not sure I can go back to my usual three-star ways!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank felix78901
North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We booked this hotel because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor and the wonderful pictures on the hotel website. We have consistently found Trip Advisor reviews to be fairly accurate and in fact, this was the third hotel on this trip we found through Trip Advisor, the other two being excellent as promised.

What we found when we went to our "suite" was a very worn and dated room, quite chopped up with thread bare carpets and a dusty smell. The garden view was mostly a roof top of the hotel restaurant. We went to the front desk to express our disappointment and to their credit, after saying they had no other rooms, they moved us to another suite. The second suite was better but there is little doubt that this property needs some attention.

The hotel website and brochures throughout the hotel touted the wonderful evening BBQ. When we asked about it they said they didn't do it. The suite was supposed to have "Canapés delivered nightly" and what was actually delivered was 4 sad looking strawberries dipped in chocolate only 2 out of the 3 nights. We also received newspaper delivered to the door only 1 morning of 3. The bathroom is badly in need of new caulking with dirt and gaps around the tub and sink.

This hotel may have been wonderful at one time but I will give it a pass next trip to London.

5 Thank mhny2525
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel. It is important we receive your feedback to help us improve the services and facilities we provide.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincerest apologies for your disappointment with the suite that was allocated to you.

Your original suite was one of the few remaining rooms in the hotel that have not been part of our recent refurbishment program, however I am truly disappointed that the daily maintenance checks were clearly below our usual standard. I can assure you that my Chief Engineer is making this a priority following your feedback.

I was surprised that you were advised that we do not hold evening barbecues as throughout the summer period our guests can enjoy our Burger Barbecue menu on our wood deck daily.
On occasion, we do host private al fresco functions which prevent the barbecue option being available outdoors and perhaps this was not communicated clearly to you.

With regards to the canapés, during the summer we change our evening canapés to chocolate dipped strawberries in order to keep these treats seasonal, however I have taken your comments on board and will look into the presentation of these.

I would like once again to apologise for the inconsistent service and for not meeting your expectations and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future.

Yours sincerely
The General Manager
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

Hotel was wonderful. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast as advertised. Location great and would definitely stay here again.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

The great strength of this hotel is its staff - I don't think I have ever met such cheerful and helpful staff in any other U.K. hotel.

The hotel is only a few yards from the British Museum which puts it within easy walking distance of all the attractions of central London. It is situated on a quiet street with little traffic and quite distant from the nearest "busy" road. That means that it is quiet, a special boon whilst we were there as it meant that with temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s we were able to have an undisturbed sleep with our window open. It was actually quieter to do this than keep the air conditioning on throughout the night. Because we had read that some rooms are on the small side we opted to go for one of the bigger rooms - a "Bloomsbury King" - and we had no cause for complaint on the score of room size. There was no mini-bar in the room but who needed that when the bar downstairs stayed open until 2am and free bottled water was brought to your room at any time. Otherwise all mod. cons were provided for.

Breakfast was an extra but we didn't partake in deference to enlarging waistlines so cannot comment. We had Sunday lunch and that was the only disappointment. The magazine provided in the room stated that there was a "traditional Sunday lunch" etc but in the event none of the staff knew about it. Of the two main courses that we did have, mine was quite acceptable - nothing to rave about - but my wife's was quite tasteless (I didn't detect any chicken taste in the liquor of her "pot-roast chicken").

However, that was the only disappointment, However, there are a host of very good restaurants of various genres in the area.

I have given a score of 4/5 for value as all hotels of this standard in London are expensive and it took a great deal of heart-searching before I opted to spend so much money for a 5 night stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple