“Nice Hotel in a Good Location in Bloomsbury”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #400 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lansing, Michigan
“Nice Hotel in a Good Location in Bloomsbury”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a nice, business oriented hotel, in the Bloomsbury area of London. I have stayed here several times and I have always been pleased with the accommodations. This time I had a room on the top floor facing inside. The dome of the British Museum is just in sight. Being away from the street makes this a very quiet room.

Overall the room was very comfortable and there was a nice breakfast included with the room. The hotel is in a great location for the theater district and the sights of Bloomsbury. Covent Garden is a short walk away. My only minor complaint is that the temperature of the room seemed difficult to adjust. There was a control, but it seemed unresponsive to changes. The room temperature was fine most of the time, but I would have liked to have it cooler at night.

In December, the restaurant in the hotel seems to be booked frequently for holiday parties. This is a minor inconvenience because there are so many other restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the high floors with odd numbers are on the central court and they are quiet, but no vi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much indeed for your nice feedback regarding the hotel and the service provided by the team.

As you also mentioned, the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth is ideally located for exploring the London landmarks and attractions that can be found within easy reach of the hotel.

As a result of recent feedbacks received and having reviewed the chilling capacity, I am delighted to confirm that we have completed the installation of additional chillers to ensure we are able to cope with the increasing demand during sudden heat waves.

Once again, thank you for your review of the Kenilworth, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Whaddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Very friendly, sincere and professional staff throughout, clean, comfortable and well stocked room and the restaurant can be good, but also very average on occasion. I stayed for a night while on a course. Lunch on day 1 was just under-whelming - bland, unimaginative food. On day 2, it was much better, tasty and a good range for a buffet. Breakfast was OK - my omelette was made with scrambled egg mix (I think) and was tasteless but hot. The room was reasonable if small, but I was disappointed by the TV and IT services that were advertised but were neither easily accessible or available. The shower head was loose and wobbled all over the place - it just needed securing. What really frustrated me was the constant hum in the room all night long - possibly from a ventilation system. I did not sleep well. In fairness, I did not complain and I do like this hotel. Value for money is really good but it could be better if these niggles were ironed out. I would definitely go back and take my family - they would really like the hotel and the location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.

I was very sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the service provided and with the quality of the food and would like to apologise for the undoubted inconvenience caused.

For your information, I have discussed the issues you have highlighted with the Management team and some actions have already been taken.

Once again, I do apologise again for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back the Kenilworth in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were seeing a show. The positives were that it is really well situated for Shaftesbury Avenue, reasonable value, the staff are friendly and its smart and the breakfast good. the negative is that the rooms are really really small and the first room we were in (215) had a double bed which was the smallest so-called double I have ever seen, However, upon complaint we were moved with no fuss to a room with a small but unquestionably a double bed. Other than that, no complaints.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a room without a miniature bed!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth.

I was pleased to read that you overall stay was enjoyable and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

booked this for a special night for three birthdays. You can see from my history that I have stayed at many Radisson Blu in capital cities around the world. I choose them because they meet the standard I expect.

Arrival at the hotel was poor. The lady at reception could not find my third room on her system. Eventually it must have popped up after I repeated my booking reference so many times. Having read on tripadvisor I did book the quieter courtyard view rooms and this was on their system and allocated (not all hotels can manage that!). We were given our keys, 2nd, 3rd and 6th floor. We got in to the lift and waited like lemons as the receptionist had not told us that we needed to insert our key card in the lift.

When we arrived at our rooms we walked in, the door slammed shut and we were in pitch darkness. We had not been told that we needed to put the cards into the small reader by the door. I realise this is the case for many hotels but normally there is some space to get in your room and hold the door open, and the card slot is dimly lit.

Once the light was on we realised why many people on tripadvisor talked about the small rooms. It has been many years since my wife and I have slept in a 4ft 6inches double bed - so this hotel wins our smallest hotel double bed in the world award. The room is only a little bigger than the bed, go around a tight narrow corner past the small cupboard and there is the compact bathroom. I have attached photos so you can see for yourself. As my title says, if you are on your own this is all fine, but if someone is at the sink, you cannot get past them. The bathroom fits just one person and getting ready for the night out was tough. All three rooms on different floors were the same small size.

The decoration in the room was to a good standard and it was clean - just for £140 the night, terrible size. Noise through the night was good although the bed was so close to the door that anyone talking in the hall sounded like they were in your room with you. The bed was comfortable but there was no way we were going to get a good night sleep so close to each other. Maybe when we were dating it would have been ok!

When we got back to the hotel the bar was closed to guests as they had let it out to a private function. There was a bar we could use in another hotel but to me this was a terrible way to treat paying customers.

All in all this is a very over-priced poor service poor quality room hotel. I would definitely chose somewhere else, unless you are on your own in which case it's fine but expensive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank s80chris
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, however, I am very disappointed to hear that it was not to your satisfaction.

I was very sorry to hear about the problems you encountered while checking in and I would like to apologise for the undoubted inconvenience caused.

I have forwarded your comments to the Front Office Manager for him to investigate the matter and take actions as indeed the service offered at check-in was not up to the hotel standards.

With regards to the room size, indeed some of our standard double rooms would be smaller than our deluxe rooms which all have a king size bed and therefore I would perhaps suggest that you book the next room category for your next stay with us.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I spent the weekend with my wife at the hotel. We did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on that.
Pros: The room was spacious and comfortable. Service was good.
Cons: Very noisy from both inside and outside. Obviously due to the location of the hotel, but the entire morning and night there we people screaming and police sirens. Inside the hotel, there was a 'janitors cupboard' where staff were going in and out at all times of the day and night. The doors are swing doors so they banged repeatedly each time they closed the door.

So if you do stay at this hotel, I would suggest that you have a room not facing the street and one that has no janitor cupboard in the floor!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.

I have forwarded your review to the Maintenance Manager for him to find a suitable solution regarding the noise from the cupboards.

Be assured that all comments are taken very seriously and are dealt with to help us improve the quality of the product or the service offered.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kenilworth in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with regards to future reservation's please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This property is ideally located for enjoying the West End of London. Rooms are clean and have all the amenities you would expect. Staff were amazing, very helpful and efficient. Would definitely recommend and will be returning! ;-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Trowbridge
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had our honeymoon at this hotel 48 years ago. I booked a theatre break for my wife's 70th birthday. Thankfully, it is no longer a temperance establishment and the pub around the corner is now a superb restaurant. The room was excellent. This hotel is ideally situated for theatreland, ten minutes walk from both shows with plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby, and the British Museum is only minutes away. Close access to the Underground. A little on the expensive side but this IS central London. Oxford Street is nearby with ample shopping opportunities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth. I was very pleased to read positive comments about our staff and the service provided.

It is encouraging to hear that you enjoyed your evening in Scoff & Banter, as this is our new restaurant concept, which only opened in June 2013. We take pride in delivering a fresh take on the British classics in a cool and comfortable environment.

I would also like to thank you for your loyalty with the Kenilworth and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for your next anniversary.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager