“Beware Small Rooms”

Ranked #383 of 1,088 Hotels in London
South Orange, NJ
“Beware Small Rooms”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

First night on business, I arrived late, was told "we have a nice quiet room for you in back." Hah - this had to be the smallest room I've ever seen - not only about the size of my clothes closet at home, the bed was the size of a small chair (my arms hung over either side) and the room was shaped like a triangle, with the bathroom at the tip so you bent over to put your head in and be sprayed with water. I imagine POWs are given better rooms for solitary confinement. Looking at floor map the room literally must have once been a broom closet. I asked for a room change. At first I was told "all rooms are that size" and I was like - that's simply not possible. Ok, I come down later and speak to a different clerk and he admits it's not true, there are other rooms at my rate not that puny but they had no other rooms that late hour. The next day they put me in "reasonable" size small room at the same rate, large enough to open suitcase and pull chair out from desk and with a normal room shape. View was of brick wall - at least however there was a window. I will say that some of the front desk personnel were human and willing to work with me so no qualms with the staff, they are just doing their jobs with what they have to work with. However they try desperately to fill those inhuman rooms with a sales job so beware.

I've stayed in many London hotels and so I know room size is typically small so I'm not exaggerating here.

Otherwise, hotel restaurant was nice, breakfast good and service reasonable. However I've also stayed at Bloomsbury Hotel down the street and for a little extra money it was well worth it in terms of comfort and style. The Radisson is definitely a business traveler hotel on a budget - they try to mask it with some bright colors and full service bar, but otherwise really very basic quality throughout, so stay here only if finances demand and be sure not to get stuck in first floor back rooms.

Room Tip: Do not take first floor back room if offered.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Highcon,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.

With regards to the room size, unfortunately due to the shape of the hotel, not all the room in one category are the same shape and therefore some of them might be bigger than others and I would perhaps suggest that you to book the next room category for your next stay with us.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kenilworth in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with regards to future reservation's please do not hesitate to contact me via email.

Kindest Regards,

parisx@radisson.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Abingdon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Quite simply I stayed there on business, working by Tower Bridge and I loved it!! The room was small for the rate, but I think this is just London.

There was so much choice in this area for dining and drinking and I will definitely stay there again. Loved b'fast too.

Room Tip: Spend more money :-s
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
XParis, Deputy General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Kevin D,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth.

I was pleased to read that you overall stay was enjoyable and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The service at the Radisson Blu Kenilworth was excellent during my 4-day stay there, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The meeting room at this hotel is comfortable and well-equipped (including a high resolution video projector, an audio connection, lighting with a dimmer switch, all centrally controllable from a custom control panel in the room).
All food was fresh and of very good quality. The hotel suite I had was in excellent condition, and the hotel provides a multimedia TV & audio set in these suites, and there are two kinds of AC sockets (UK 230V, US 110V) available.

Dear Graphbobby,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely detailed feedback of the bedrooms and the Conference and Banqueting facilities.

We have recently upgraded our data projectors and now offer the latest LCD projectors.

I am also delighted to hear that you had a nice stay with us and that the service offered was up to your expectation.

Once again, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Kenilworth in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights at Radisson Blu Kenilworth and enjoyed it very much. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There was a problem with the air condition in our room on arrival, but we were offered another room which was clean and quiet.
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well as an afternoon tea and the restaurant staff were very cheerful. The hotel is only a short walk from the theatre district and Oxford street and only a few hundred yards from The British Museum.
We would very much like to stay here again and can warmly recommend the hotel.
Anglo Philia, May 2014.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dagfinn G
Dear Dagfinn,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely feedback regarding the hotel and its location.

Thank you also for highlighting Scoff & Banter, our new restaurant that offers a fresh take on British classics in a comfortable and cool environment.

Once again, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

As always when I commute - I arrived late, tired from travel and in a slightly bad mood !

I have never stayed at a Radisson Blu before so had very little expectation.

I was in a single occupancy room. It was quite compact, but was furnished to a high standard, and had all connectivity and charging ports that could be required.

The bathroom was very compact, but was also furnished to a very high standard.

I see from some of the other reviews that people found rooms below standard - so I am unsure if parts of the hotel are being refurbised

The real winner for me here was the level of service from the staff. All staff that I encountered were exceptionally polite, exceptionally helpful and very very efficient. Something sadly lacking in many hotels today

The macaroons left in my room were alo a very nice touch.

Look forward to staying again

Dear Scepta,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel and I am grateful for your complimentary review.

Thank you also for mentioning the quality of the service offered by the team and I shall pass on your feedback to the team.

Xavier Paris Deputy General Manager
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Unbeatable location for business or pleasure really. Rooms are smallish but updated and well upkept. Staff is excellent. Best of all, prices are usually very reasonable. Looking forward to staying there again assuming we can maintain those rates!

Dear Allen P,

liverpool
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived and quickly checked in and into the room on the sixth floor. The furniture is very worn and the bathroom is in need of an major facelift. Rooms are very hot but the air on high which is a little loud does cool the room. Breakfast is the worst part of this hotel it's not the breakfast product but the staff they just do not know what they are doing, for example I requested soya milk which took over ten mins to arrive and when it did I got three jugs and three lots of coffee. The rule in this restaurant is you move out of the way for the staff as they will not move or wait for you, not great at these high prices you pay for this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ormsklad
Dear Ormsklad,

The operational issues you have highlighted have already been discussed with the Head of Departments concerned for them to take immediate actions as it is not the usual standards of the hotel.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with regards to future reservation's please do not hesitate to contact me via email.

Kindest Regards,