“Friendly and helpful”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #393 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have stayed 178 times in this hotel. I must admit one of my reasons for first choosing this hotel some years ago was because they have smoking rooms, which is becoming a rarity. But once I had made my choice I have never regretted it. The staff goes out of their way to show friendliness. Though there are occasional slips, in general the service is good. That's why I keep coming back. It has influenced my choice of hotels in other cities too. I travel a great deal, being away form home about 50% of the time. I always look if there is a Radisson hotel near where I have to be and often that is the case. Other Radisson hotels offer a similar level of service and comfort. I particularly appreciate the art that is exhibited in these hotels. It is a mixture of cultural heritage form Asia (mainly China, one of my favourite countries) and modern art that is daring and offers an image of respect and appreciation for women in a delicate and often surprising way. I would definitely like to meet the person or persons who are responsible for selecting the works exhibited in these hotels.
John H.A.L. de Jong

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
11  Thank TesterJohn

Reviewed 1 July 2010

Without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed here for 3, 1 week visits on business, the hotel being booked by my employer. On my first visit the window fell in on me as the hinges were broken. On each occasion the rooms were the size of shoeboxes. None of the rooms had aircon that worked and despite being ludicrously hot outside the radiators were on and they were unable to turn them off as there is too much rust and limescale around the radiator valves. Despite requesting wake up calls at the same time for every day I only received 3 calls in total. The phone by the bed never worked so to answer the wake up call I had to jump from the bed to reach the phone at the end of the bed!

However without doubt the worst experience came when I chose to eat in the restaurant. I ordered steak, chips and bearnaise sauce. The sauce came seperately in a dish and was cold and stodgy like it had come straight from the fridge. I asked for it to be heated up but the waitress returned and said that it was meant to be like that. Despite requesting again, she refused to ask the kitchen to heat it up. I continued eating my meal ignoring the sauce but then heard a female voice saying' she asked for the sauce to be heated up, its meant to be cold and she doesn't know what she'd talking about, she'd just being difficult. When I looked up the same waitress was talking about me to a colleague withing earshot of me! I called her over, advised I had heard her. She didn't try to deny what she had said and simply said that when someone complains they share it with others to let them know what's going on. At this point I gave up on my meal and left.

Should anyone ever be unfortunate enough to have to stay here, please expect extremely small rooms, broken phones by the bed, mimibars in the rooms which aren't on, forgotten wake up calls, cereal to run out at breakfast, TV's that aren't programmed correctly so that you are unable to look at your bill or set the TV to wake you up, windows that fall in on you, radiators that won't turn off and AC that doesn't work. Lastly the staff provided you ask a basic question are competent but otherwise totally inept.

Plase don't be fooled into thinking that there are occasional bad rooms. Duering my 3, 1 week visits I stayed in 5 rooms none of which didn't have problems. You can honestly get much better service and quality of room at the Kingsley, Thistle 50m from the hotel or the Russell hotel. I will not be going back and my company is now striking this hotel of its preferred panel.

Stay away....honestly it's truly awful!!!

5  Thank Traveller123Leeds
Reviewed 1 July 2010

On arrival we were upgraded to deluxe room due to the hotel being busy. This was roomy and clean, with an excellent tv picture.
We found the service excellent from all the staff, who were friendly and courteous.
The breakfast, which was included, was superb.
The location of the hotel is one of the best, close to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and British Museum.
Was a little concerned prior to visit with some of the reviews, but we had an excellent stay.
We were on Bloomsbury Road side which was a little noisy, although new single glazing window been put in front of old one which made a big difference. I think some other reviews must have been done prior to this. very noisy when new window open just leaving old window shut.
Would use again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank churton
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Four star this is hotel is not!!!

I spent 5 nights at this hotel, which was booked by my employer.

The rooms are very small, verging on claustrophobic. I appreciate space is a premium in central London, however almost knocking yourself out when bending down either in room or the bathroom is a bit much!

The hotel is quite clean and well looked after.

The week I was in London it was really warm and muggy. I did have semi functioning AC, but it was noisy to say the least and only worked occasionally.

I'm sure the staff have good intentions, but I didn't find them the very professional. Certainly the guy who seated us for breakfast was more interested in checking out his facebook account on the nearby computer.

I'm not generally a complainer, appreciating that mistakes can happen, however I did seem to be subject to my fair share during my 5 night stay:-
1) Being left with no towels (not great when you've stripped off and are about to get in the shower!)
2) Having a black screen on my TV, reporting it, then only being able to watch France News24. Reporting it again and a third time and then giving up completely!
3) Asking for a soft boiled egg for breakfast....only to get a runny egg yolk and a runny egg white!!!!!

Another annoying factor is the small number of lifts compared to the number of floors and rooms!

Location is clearly it's main selling point.

1  Thank tawti_travellers
Reviewed 28 June 2010

In general, this is very nice hotel, extemely well located, and convenient to people on a business trip, or simply touring London. I arrived on Thursday June 3rd, and the check-in was prompt, and I was given a room on the 6th floor as I had requested, considering that some of the reviews in this site indicated that some of the rooms were noisy. I wasn't given a room with an outer view as I had also requested. As a matter of fact, the room had a window with a not very nice view of the internal patio of the hotel. As soon as I arrived, I realized that a lateral wood panel had fallen off the bed, and was sitting on the floor. Besides the fact that the room was more than petite (standard single), that piece of wood on the floor reduced even more the available space in the room. Despite being too small, the room was clean, the bathroom had soap and plenty of warm towels, had a nice 37 inch LCD screen, and a wireless internet connection. When I arrived in London the weather was cool. The second day, however, weather was hot, and that's when my trouble began: the AC did not work. Being the room so small, the temperature at night was really high inside, and I couldnt sleep at all in the absence of AC. I called the front desk, but they had no immediate response, the manager in charge did not offer any solution at all. I had to get out of bed, go downstairs and demand a solution. By then it was 4:30 AM. I was finally moved to a larger room, but the AC problem was also an issue in this new room. I once had a similar problem in San Francisco, and the hotel did not charge me for the night I couln't sleep. In this case, I was given an upgraded room, although without a properly working AC, as well as complementary breakfast for the rest of my stay. By the way, breakfast is not included in the room price, it cost 17 extra pounds. The upgraded room I received at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth, was not fully equuipped as the smaller one I got in the first place. For example, it had a Mini Bar, but the fridge did not have anything inside. Also, the hotel has 2 elevators, located in different parts of the lobby, and during my 3 day stay the one in the front did not work at all. Besides the concierge, and a couiple of hostess, all the staff was from India. They are trying hard to do a good job, but are failing in the details. In brief, the hotel is nice, it's location cannot be beaten, and the satff was nice and, although somehow slow, they were helpful. I will stay here during my next visit to London, buy I will expect higher standards of room comfort, and hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
KumarMishra, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying at the Kenilworth Hotel and sharing your candid review.

Feedback – both positive and constructive are vital to the success of our hotel, and we are pleased that you have taken time to share them both. Without prejudice, we are really sorry for the issues you encountered with the AC in your room and broken bed. Whilst the bed base has been fixed we would also like to mention that we accept that during your visit (around the 3rd June) we did have one of our AC units braking down on us, and being one of the hottest summer days in London – only compounded the issue. We understand that this situation was not the most convenient to be in – and can only hope that the team did do their best to make the situation a tad comfortable.

Hopefully on your next visit, you will take a moment to drop me a line prior to your visit so that I can personally ensure that you are well looked after.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

I'm Currently serving on Ops in Afghan. This hotel helped organise my bday treat for my partner and her best friend. They were as helpful as could be and went over and above the duties expected, with free wines and fine food(much to my misses liking!!).

Thanks for making the weekend as good as it gets...

Regards

Peter

• Stayed: June 2010
11  Thank pepbrown

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Kenilworth Hotel for your partner and her friend.

I am very pleased that the girls had a wonderful time with us. I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you personally on your next visit to London wherein you can also treat her with our in-room spa experience.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

A great hotel, excellent value and great service. Good location and well worth a visit.

11  Thank EnglishKnight2010
KumarMishra, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Guest Relations Manager