“A nightmare for 3 nights”
Review of Cheshire Hotel

Cheshire Hotel
Ranked #994 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Unfriendly staff. I asked for someone to check on my TV that did not work. There was no SKY card for the tuner. They did not care. I kept asking for 3 days in a row - nothing. The room was in the basement - no daylight, and I was with a six yrs old kid. The staff had to pass through our room to go to another room. They did not pay attention to my complaints. There was no toilet brush. After my complaints the staff (receptionists) even stopped saying hello to us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Boian S
There are newer reviews for Cheshire Hotel

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in the Cheshire On the weekend of the London Marathon. When we arrived we were immediately disappointed. Bedrooms was filthy, furniture was broken, bathroom was moldy, no tea/coffee making facilities ( even thought its on website that its provided), suppost to have satilite tv there was about 5 channels that worked and they were poor quality, the lift was very unpredictable, had bed bug bite marks after first night sleep. The reception staff were appalling, couldn't give a monkeys about any of our issues. After complaining several times i was told i could change rooms, i was given 2 sets of keys to pick my "favorite" room. These rooms were just as bad. To top it all off we had no water for the whole stay. After the first nights sleep we couldn't take the room any more so we checked into the Raddison Blu a few doors down. What a difference, pure luxury in comparison. We are still waiting for a refund, we booked the Cheshire through Booking.com. We have done everything that they asked, send pictures etc etc but they seem to be passing the buck, as do the Cheshire. Please read this and other reviews on the Cheshire and think hard if you really want to stay there. There is a YMCA 2 doors down, a much better option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank claireperker
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is the location. With Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road subway station, Soho and Covent Garden just around the corner it could not be located in a better spot.
That however, does not make up for the poor standards of the hotel. On two of three days we only got one towel delivered to the room. There was a huge water leak from the bath-tub, which lead to my clothes on the floor being soaked. One day there was no hot water. The toilet did not flush properly, it had to be flushed several times. The hotelroom was very small and in severe need of an upgrade. There was no tea kettle, coffee maker or mini bar even though this was promised on the website. The elevator seemed to be falling apart, and did not appear safe to use.
Wi-Fi was not included, and costs 5 punds pr hour, which is the most expensive I have ever encountered. The hotel also charged for keeping your luggage after chechout.
With regards to the poor quality of the hotel, the price we paid was way to high. I will not go back to Cheshire hotel until they have upgraded the enitre hotel, from water and plumbing to the paint on the walls. It really does have the potential to become a small, charming hotel in a very central, but still quiet, part of London.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Helene P
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Do not stay here unless it's a last resort !!!!!!!!! We booked and paid for a triple room, which was a twin with a third bed in it. It was so small we had to climb on each other's bed to get around the room. The "third" bed then collapsed when my daughter sat on on it. the breakfast looked terrible so we went out for breakfast. And to top it all off, they wanted £5.00 per bag to look after our bags for a couple of hours after we had checked out ....... Is is something all good hotels do for free. The bathroom was also dirty and old and the bed linen was straight from the 70's.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AAGill_10
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Hotel is basic and in need of a serious update. 2 lifts only 1 works but not very well. breakfast was mostly cold. DONT ASK THEM TO BOOK A TAXI - took 25 minutes to get an unmarked car with no meter with a driver who used a satnav on his phone. charged £13 for a £5 journey. If we knew where it was and one of us had not been on crutches we could have walked there in less time. staff were polite and friendly. bed was clean and comfortable and bathroom functional. lot of money for very little.

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had to go to London to collect a visa. Only needed to stay one night and thought this would be an ideal hotel. How wrong I was. It's a dump, in fact I would rather have slept in the skip. The whole hotel was dirty, grubby and in need of repair. The room was very small and the furniture had seen better days long ago. The bathroom was as bad as the main room. The sower did not work properly, the sink was filthy along with the towels. The window did not open, the blind ( there were no curtains ) was tacked on at the top and the only way to lift it was to tuck it into the top part of the window thus blocking half of it. The breakfast was a joke. Asked if we wanted a cooked breakfast or continental. I opted for the cooked to be told I would have to pay extra. I decided to have the continental. Then came the 101 questions asking what I wanted, toast no toast egg no egg tea coffee, was then offerd a choice of two rather ropey looking Danish pastry. They were so stale I declined. I was then offerd a roll. The brown one was so hard and so old it was in edable. I gave up at this point. I did notice a chinese lady also taking breakfast orders who declined to tell the others that a cooked breakfast was an extra cost. On checking out I had to ask for the invoice as one was not forthcoming. I work all over the world in the back and beyond of countries not tourist places. I must say this is the worst hotel ever. At the moment I am in southeast India in the middle of nowhere and the hotel is by far better then the chesire could ever offer. So don't stay, save your money and find a better hotel elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Just very poor accommodation.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank guss44
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we arrived on Saturday - we were greeted by a man who didn't stop talking , rambling on about how there was a problem with the booking so we had to stay at another hotel for one night-apparently whatever the problem was it would still be okay to stay on the Sunday night! I had to pay for the Sunday night straight away- then wait for them to ship is over to the new hotel- I asked if they had try to contact me , they said it had just happened- whatever the problem was we certainly weren't going to be told! Being moved messed up our plans we wanted to be close to oxford street and also close to mile 24 of the London marathon as we were supporting friends and didn't want the stress of being too far from the end!!! But any way we grinned and beared it - and arrived at tower bridge - lovely hotel - they informed us that the room had been booked Friday - we supported at the VLM - then returned to collect our bags to return to Cheshire hotel , but of course all rds where closed - and the tube stations were congested - we have a young child so didn't want to travel by tube! Cheshire hotel did eventually send us transport to collect us!
We arrived and checked in at Cheshire - to be informed we where on the top floor- my hubby used the Shoddy lifts - myself and daughter didn't dare! We arrived in our rooms - which was clearly a double , which had been pushed over for the single bed to be put in- the windows didn't open - it was red hot in the room - and I feared if there was a fire - well I dread to think- we asked to move!
Staff said they didn't have the power to do this - but they would try- we went out to enjoy the evening! Whilst out my hubby rang to find out if we could move - they said yes - but it would be a double room and a single room! We took this option- the rooms where in dire state- seriously need a make over and a good clean-
The next Morning my hubby woke us ( he was in the single) to ask if he could have a shower in our room - the heating in his room wouldn't switch off and it had been like an oven- he couldn't even open the window - his shower didn't work - on using our shower it was clear there was no hot water- we went down to complain - staff said sorry the boiler had broke!!!!
On checking out - we asked to see the manager - he apparently rarely visited - I can see why! I wouldn't let my dog sleep in this place - so pleased we only had to stay one night!!!! This place has serious health and satefy issues and although staff are helpful and friendly they clearly don't know what's going off!!!
They even tried to charge us for bag storage - £5 per bag - I think they realised by the look on my husbands face they weren't getting anymore money from us!!! And don't ask them to book you a taxi- they use a posh private company who charge the earth!!!
I could go on about the state of the room- but I won't - all I can't say - if a fire breaks out in this hotel am not sure people would be able to get out!!! Am reporting this place to health and safety!

Room Tip: Do not stay!! Doesn't matter how close it is to oxford street! N
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family