“Handy location, great for work trip”

Mercure London Bloomsbury
Ranked #348 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Ireland
“Handy location, great for work trip”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed in Hotel Mercure Bloomsbury when i was attending an event in the area. Just up the road from Russell Square tube which meant easy Piccadilly line journey to Heathrow. The customer lifts were down so had to use the service lifts which meant seeing a bit of the back of house areas which aren't always the nicest in a hotel. The room was small but fine for 1 person and had flat screen TV, air con unit on wall, tea/coffee and good strong shower so all good. Breakfast buffet was good but service a little slow. Overall it was well priced and suited my needs so I'll consider it if needing to stay in the area again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest,
we appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences after your recent work trip to London. Our guest lift had to be taken out of service due to essential maintenance but as stated by you we have been able to provide you with a lift to get to the guest room floors at the hotel. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us and could take advantage of our central location. We hope to welcome you back in the future for your next work trip to London.
Your Team at the Mercure Bloomsbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I've stayed here before and thoroughly enjoyed it however my last visit wasn't great.

The check in was fine, efficient, friendly and welcoming.

My room, 608 was extremely small, so small in fact I thought i'd walked into a broom cupboard. Although the room had everything I needed I was surprised that a repeat guest would be given such a room. However, I decided to go down to the restaurant for a quick meal. I would suggest that if you stay, you eat elsewhere as the food was terrible.

Breakfast was better, with a reasonable array of items although this could be improved.

I must say that my room was clean and comfortable and I wasn't in the place long however the room was, in my opinion too small and much smaller than the room I stayed in previously.

My advice would be to check to ensure that if you book a double room that you get a king size bed as the doubles are only just big enough for one, never ming two people
hope this helps

Room Tip: Check to ensure that if you book a double room that you get a king size bed as the doubles are only...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TJBrooke
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to hear that your stay has not met your expectations after your hassle-free stay in February. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence inregards to your comments about our Food & Beverage department. We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Bloomsbury and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.
Vermont South
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in September after using big hotels on a 2-week coach tour, and we enjoyed the more intimate size and friendly service at the Mercure. Our room was old fashioned but well appointed. It faced the street and was noisy with the windows open, but OK with them closed due to double-glazing. The hotel is well located and is close to the underground and plenty of pubs and restaurants. Many city venues are within walking distance. There is a laundrette one block behind the hotel and plenty of supermarkets nearby. The Swan pub in the alley next to the hotel was really friendly and served great meals. We will certainly use the Mercure again if we return to London.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street should be quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our central location in London and all facilities surrounding us. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I recently stayed here twice ... three days at a time ... with a trip to Paris in between (it's very convenient for St Pancras station and the Eurostar train). Great location, prices very reasonable, rooms comfortable and the reception, bar and housekeeping staff were all lovely and welcoming. If anything lets this place down it's the lacklustre breakfast ... weak coffee, untoasted toast and strange-tasting fruit juices ... and the restaurant manager, who on the two mornings I ventured in, greeted each guest with a surly frown and her staff seemed similarly unhappy. As a result, on the other four days I took my breakfast custom to Pret-a-Manger, which has two branches within walking distance of the hotel, offering great coffee and food and cheerful, helpful staff. Having said that I would definitely stay at this hotel again ... but just give the restaurant a wide berth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied with your breakfast experience whilst staying at the hotel. This is certainly not the level of service we are proud to deliver to our guests and I would like to assure you that the approriate meassures are taken to avoid occurrence in the future. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a hassle-free stay.
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have stayed in other and more expensive hotels in London but this was the best. The room was compact but had everytbing one could need. I appreciated its warmth and its valuables safe. I especially appreciated the help from the reception staff and from Marcin in particular. The hotel's proximity to two tube stations, a Post Office and a variety of eating places is a plus. It is also within walking distance to a number of theatres and to Oxford street. I'll be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank EdnaTait
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure reading your lovely review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay and felt safe throughout. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to our central London location.