“Dated rooms. Freezing cold. ”

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London
Ranked #358 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dronfield
“Dated rooms. Freezing cold. ”
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

When you walk in to the lobby it looks very modern and nicely decorated however don't be deceived. Once in the rooms it's like they have not really tried to bother.

Stayed 2 nights. Heating in room on night one was either full on or off. 2nd night air conditioning came on and off every 5 mins with a ridiculous clatter (even when switched off). Maintenance/engineers not available at 2am to report. Overall has about 4 hours sleep across both nights in total.

So cold had to sleep fully clothed. Flooring was ice cold and had to wear socks just to walk to bathroom.

Cheap and very small TV in room. Torn wall paper. Lights in bathroom very dim and difficult to shave in such poor light.

My room looked out to an office bloom behind where the curtains had to be permanently drawn otherwise I would have been overlooked.

Given 1 star as ideally placed to get in to the business districts and theatre land but personally I would not stay here again.

Quite possibly they might have fixed had I reported on night one but having got in late and up early and off to work the next morning I never got the opportunity.

Look elsewhere for a better value and more comfortable stay. I paid a discounted business rate but still cost £290.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dera Guest
I regret to learn that your stay was impeded by the issues you have highlighted in your feedback .Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we may have caused you. I have shared your experience with my executive team so we may provide the additional training to further improve the services and courtesies we extend to our guests.
I will send you a private message so if you have the time you could give me your room number and I can further investigate teh issue.
I sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to London so that I may personally ensure that you have a much better experience.

Kind regards
Germana Genovese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Holywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We struggled to get a suitably located hotel to convent garden - this was most certainly not it despite its name! I know it was only ten minutes walk but in the rain it was NOT ACCEPTABLE to describe itself as a Covent Garden Hotel. Very misleading. Accommodation was ok - just! As was VFM.
WOULD NOT RETURN.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
I was so sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your recent stay and I would like to take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies. I can appreciate that you may have been disappointed about the location but 10 mins walk from Covent Garden is not unacceptable in our opinion.

I do thank you again for your time.

Kind regards
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have stayed in the same hotel some years ago, but now they have renovated the studios.
We booked the hotel via hotels.com and we called the hotel the same day of arrival and asked for a quiet room. When we arrived we got a nice and very quiet room on the Fifth floor.
Good breakfast and the staff working in the breakfast room was really nice and service minded.
This is not a luxury hotel but a nice and very clean place to stay in London. It takes 10 minutes to walk to Covent Garden.
The only comment we had was that the bed was not wide enough for the two of us so the sleeping quality could have been better so remember to book a room with two single beds instead of one queen bed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cayman Islands
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed for one night for business but wanted to be able to cook my own meals rather than eating out. Good convenient location. Rooms excellent comfortable and well equipped. Staff very helpful - even gave me a free toothbrush when I realised i had forgotten mine. Good and free wi-fi. Requested room at back but had one on inner courtyard which was very quiet. Bed very comfy.
My only criticism would be that the doors to the corridors need more sound insulation because you can hear people coming and going. Waitrose over the road and sainsburys 50 metres away. Also pret and itsu just over the road for easy coffees or snacks. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back on higher floor
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here in early November for 5 nights to enable us to attend the World Travel Market in London. It's a terrific location, and on one day we walked to the British Museum to see an exhibition there. The tube is about a minute away, and there are numerous shops, supermarkets, and places like Pret a Manger and Starbucks if you don't want to have breakfast in the Citadines.

We tried both, with chocolate croissants from across the road when we were in a hurry, and the proper breakfast when we had more time. The breakfast was ample, with smoked salmon, cold meats, cheeses, croissants, pastries, cereals, yoghourt, fruit, a waffle machine, toaster, and a coffee machine that made a great cappuccino!

The staff was friendly and I appreciated the courtesy call about 15 minutes after we arrived to ask if the room was OK and whether everything was in order (it was).

There was free wifi, an onsite gym, papers in various languages to read in the very nice lounges, and a 24-hour reception. It was also amazingly quiet, even though our room on thr 4th floor overlooked High Holborn, which is always busy with traffic. We heard nothing.

All in all, a great place and we'd definitely stay there again when visiting London.

1 Thank mgwrite
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest

I am proud to learn that our colleagues were successful in providing you with a truly memorable experience. It is our goal to touch the heart and soul of each and every one of our guests and it was simply our pleasure to provide you with the personal attention you deserve.

We sincerely appreciate your recommendation as well as your recognition and we look forward welcoming you again. I will send you a private message with my personal details so if you decide to come back you can contact me directly.

Regards

Germana
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here 1 night for work purposes - 3 of our 4 booked rooms were not ready on arrival. The keycard didn't work for my room, someone else's wouldn't work for the lift.

The room itself was fine, although the lighting is terrible. Bathroom was spacious and shower had plenty of power.

The hotel is very quiet despite being quite centrally located.

Breakfast was very disappointing. If you're not a fan of cereal or toast then there's little else to choose from. One lukewarm cappuccino and boiled egg later, and I'm still hungry.

Overall, it's ok but I probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry for your overall disappointment. I have taken note of your comments and I will certainly be following up with my executive team.

I will be sending you a private message with my personal details in the hope that you would contact me to give me the chance to resolve this for you.

Regards
Germana
Jakarta Indonesia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 23 October till 27 October 2013 ( 5 nights). The hotel location is very good closed to Holborn tube station and the Waitrose supermarket. The room was ok for the 1 bedroom apartment with a basic amnesties.

To our surprise that the room was not cleaned daily as we expected. Yes the hotel has given notification that they will clean the room thoroughly every other day.. but surely under any hotel standard the toilet and the bath should be cleaned on a daily basis, which was not the case.

The tea and coffee was not replenished and the floor was dirty. I would expect at least they clean the floor, bathroom and toilet on a daily basis. Furthermore the toilet and the bath tub were clogged.. And only after calling 3 times they send their maintenance guy. with the price we paid.. i would also expect that the hotel should maintain their facilities in a tip top condition.

Breakfast of GBP 12 per person is overpriced for continental selection. We ate there on our first day, the selection was poor and we came when food was almost gone. We tried the mango, and it was not that fresh (over riped). The breakfast next door with full cooked English breakfast cost only 20 GBP for 3 persons.

I guess the plus point about this hotel was that it close to the city, tube and the supermarket.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vivyanti
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.

I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience you had with us. We always do our best to meet the expectations of all our guests, but in this instance, we failed to meet your expectations. While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. We welcome feedback such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve.

I have investigated your comments regarding the housekeeping services. I would like to assure you, I have shared your feedback with the staff concerned and we have taken steps to prevent a recurrences of the problems you experienced. Though our daily light cleaning concept, does not include brooming of the apartments, I have noted this point to further discuss with the management team. I feel we can make further improvements in this area and I will ensure a thorough review is completed of this particular service.
Once again, I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience during your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Kind regards,