“Great place to stay for several days”

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London
Ranked #358 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Great place to stay for several days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Really enjoyed this hotel, which had an excellent internet rate. The twin bed room accommodated 2 people; the small kitchen was much appreciated; there was complimentary coffee and tea downstairs; the staff was friendly and helpful. Tube stop is nearby as are convenient buses. I found the bathroom ample, with shelves for toiletries; closet held both hanging and stacked items. We'd requested the street side so we had sunlight (when it was out).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street, with sun.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for choosing Citadines Prestige Holborn and for taking the time to post your review about your stay and for your recommendation.

Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Germana Genovese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel. From the minute you walk in to be greeted by friendly and professional staff to the minute you leave you feel that this is the only place you want to stay when visiting the capital. The location is brilliant and the rooms are ideal as they are comfortable and good value for money. I doubt if we would stay anywhere else from now on.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.. The location is key and the room is all you need!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

The location is excellent, just a stone's throw away from Holborn station and within walking distance to major landmarks or districts. I liked that it's also nested in a cozy neighborhood with supermarkets, banks and other amenities.

Service was okay, generally friendly but not warm. I was more disappointed by the size of the room! I stayed in a studio suite and it felt tiny to me though I guess this is London. The corridors felt very narrow though. Their toilet bowl was also not very well designed...the handle for some reason is close to the lid, and you can't flush properly without having to slam the lid shut. I also agree that there was a distinct (stuffy) scent that I picked up along the corridor and in my room as well.

Would have appreciated bottled water to be provided as well. Furnishing was dated and if given a modern update and smarter layout, perhaps even the smaller rooms would feel more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry for your overall disappointment. I have taken note of your comments and I will certainly be following up with my Head of Maintenance regarding the toilet bowl.
Most of our rooms are of a good size for 4 star London standards but we also have Studio clubs and 1 bedroom apartments that are more spacious than the standard rooms.
If you do wish to return, please contact me directly so I can personally ensure your reservation is taken care of.
With warmest wishes,
shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

The hotel's location made it easily accessible to most of the sights and landmarks. The staff were generally pleasant after a few days, but the arrival experience at night was not terribly warm or welcoming.

The breakfast room team was efficient and friendly, but as guests, I felt we had to reach out to most of the staff throughout the property with a greeting first.
Even though it's a serviced apartment, it would have been good if they were able to sell stamps for postcards.

One has to exercise caution in the bathroom, which needs to have a safety rail installed near the bathtub. It can prove to be dangerous if one is not careful enough.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
I am that overall you have enjoyed your stay. I have taken note of your comments and I will certainly be following up with my Head of Maintenance regarding the bathroom.
I will also share your cmpliments with the breakfast attendants.
With warmest wishes,
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We came across this property on TripAdvisor and by all accounts, it lived up to expectations.

Pros: Great location, Walkable to tube stop (Holborn) and Covent Garden and Oxford Circus, Local food stores nearby for things you might need, as well as coffee shops, eateries and other restaurants. Complimentary coffee and tea and lobby was a nice touch; no additional fee to use the gym (not heated! freezing in there) was also very much appreciated. The room was clean overall and the fridge and teapot were put to good use. Friendly service at front desk.

Cons: The room was very tight and crowded. We had no room for our large suitcases and the main hall closet barely fit our two winter coats. It's a small place, and the photos posted don't give an accurate portrayal of just how tight the space is. The bedroom fit the bed; no room for any bags so we placed them in the corner of the living room. The toilet was in its own room...it's more like a toilet closet and not very well lit. The actual bathroom was (again) small...no room on vanity to place kit bag with toiletries...had to hang them from door.But floors were heated (bonus in winter) and heated towel rack is nice to have for towels and hang-drying clothes. Wall-mounted TVs in living room and bedroom could have been a bit bigger...add to wish list.

BIG ANNOYANCE: people would let their doors slam shut upon entering and leaving rooms and the slamming would reverberate throughout the entire floor, making entire bed/room shake. It was very annoying and disruptive for those of us who weren't getting up and out early. Management might want to try and install soft-close door system.

The Skinny: Stay here for the location, don't bring lots of stuff, and request a higher floor to avoid noise from street below. Hope your neighbors are courteous enough to gently close their doors when they are coming and going.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on a higher floor to avoid noise from street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Gayle S
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very dated. Not very clean. Hallway smelled. Hot water was iffy. Not very competitive as it did not have a convection over nor washer/dryer in the room. Not even a clock. The nice things were location, fitness area, elevator and lobby. The actual room for what I paid was not a good value.

Room Tip: Don't know what to say but if you are looking for a good location this is good. But I would try...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Needyouradvice
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.

I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience you had with us. We always do our best to meet the expectations of all our guests, but in this instance, we failed to meet your expectations. While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. I am truly sorry you did not find our rooms confortable or to the standards you expected.
Once again, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and I hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I am very disappointed with the rooms. First, the fridge was broken. Then,the bulb fused. The toilet does not supply any combs or toothbrushes and the water would turn from warm to cold. The green sofa feels very itchy and the television took a long time to switch on.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Penelope822
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Citadines Prestige Holborn and that we could not make your stay more comfortable. I have noted your comments regarding the fridge and the lights and as we are keen to make improvements to enhance our residents’ overall stay at our properties, I have shared your feedback with the Maintenance Manager.
Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Yours sincerely