“Great Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leeds
“Great Location”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We decided on a week in London over Christmas. Our primary concerns were location and value for money. We chose the Citadines as you got a kitchenette in your room so we could prep our own food if we wanted to and also the location was great - walking distance to most of the places we wanted to visit.
The hotel was great at communication. We were driving down and needed to use their car park. We had plenty of help finding the car park. Check-in process was nice and quick. We did have to reject our first room as someone had dropped fish in the corridor outside the door and it smelled awful but the second room was fine, in a quieter location and they even gave us a free bottle of wine for our trouble which was pretty generous as it really wasn't a big deal.
The facilities in the room all seemed pretty new and everything worked. When we needed a couple of extra pans it was no issue for them and they were brought up within minutes.
We paid a little extra to get daily housekeeping in our room (not standard in the apartments) and it was worth it - nice to come back to a clean room.
All in all a perfectly adequate hotel when it came to the room and I think you get what you pay for.
The outstanding bit is really the breakfast! Now it could just be that it was to my taste but I loved brekkie. Lots of different types of breads and pastries. Lots of meats and cheeses. Smoked salmon rolls, fresh made waffles and boiled eggs to order. Lots of juices including squeeze your own orange juice. Unlimited hot drinks - good quality coffee. All in all a perfect breakfast to get your day started.
Location wise it was perfect. It was in a nice area - bright outside and the wonderful Rosewood opposite (visit the bar there - it is brilliant). We walked to the theatre, to Covent Garden, so Fortnum and Masons, to Selfridges, to Trafalgar Sq - everywhere seemed pretty close.
Finally the staff were great - very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room not on the main street
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Dear Guest

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a positive experience . I am sorry about the issue you encountered with the first room you were assigned but I am happy to learn that this was graciously handled by my team.We sincerely appreciate your recognition and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Germana Genovese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel is very comfortable, the staff is friendly, efficient, customer minded, the rooms are well-equipped and welcoming (including the small kitchen)... all in this place is made to ensure you enjoy your time from day one to the last hour of your stay (and regret leaving the place enough to book another room for your next trip). The breakfast is worth mentioning as well, including the staff serving it: truly adorable! And the fitness room makes you keep healthy as well.

Of course, the location is also very well-placed, next to the City, Bloomsbury and Covent Garden, and within easy reach from the tourist attraction of Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street and Hyde Park (to name but a few).

I can only recommend this place where I had such a good time (I'm used to going to London for business trips many times in a year and this hotel, that I discovered completely 'by accident' while bringing my family for a leisure trip, is probably the best one I've seen until now!)

Room Tip: I don't know if there are rooms with windows on High Holborn. If this is the case, I recommend y...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Really enjoyed this hotel, which had an excellent internet rate. The twin bed room accommodated 2 people; the small kitchen was much appreciated; there was complimentary coffee and tea downstairs; the staff was friendly and helpful. Tube stop is nearby as are convenient buses. I found the bathroom ample, with shelves for toiletries; closet held both hanging and stacked items. We'd requested the street side so we had sunlight (when it was out).

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street, with sun.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for choosing Citadines Prestige Holborn and for taking the time to post your review about your stay and for your recommendation.

Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel. From the minute you walk in to be greeted by friendly and professional staff to the minute you leave you feel that this is the only place you want to stay when visiting the capital. The location is brilliant and the rooms are ideal as they are comfortable and good value for money. I doubt if we would stay anywhere else from now on.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.. The location is key and the room is all you need!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The location is excellent, just a stone's throw away from Holborn station and within walking distance to major landmarks or districts. I liked that it's also nested in a cozy neighborhood with supermarkets, banks and other amenities.

Service was okay, generally friendly but not warm. I was more disappointed by the size of the room! I stayed in a studio suite and it felt tiny to me though I guess this is London. The corridors felt very narrow though. Their toilet bowl was also not very well designed...the handle for some reason is close to the lid, and you can't flush properly without having to slam the lid shut. I also agree that there was a distinct (stuffy) scent that I picked up along the corridor and in my room as well.

Would have appreciated bottled water to be provided as well. Furnishing was dated and if given a modern update and smarter layout, perhaps even the smaller rooms would feel more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry for your overall disappointment. I have taken note of your comments and I will certainly be following up with my Head of Maintenance regarding the toilet bowl.
Most of our rooms are of a good size for 4 star London standards but we also have Studio clubs and 1 bedroom apartments that are more spacious than the standard rooms.
If you do wish to return, please contact me directly so I can personally ensure your reservation is taken care of.
With warmest wishes,
shanghai
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The hotel's location made it easily accessible to most of the sights and landmarks. The staff were generally pleasant after a few days, but the arrival experience at night was not terribly warm or welcoming.

The breakfast room team was efficient and friendly, but as guests, I felt we had to reach out to most of the staff throughout the property with a greeting first.
Even though it's a serviced apartment, it would have been good if they were able to sell stamps for postcards.

One has to exercise caution in the bathroom, which needs to have a safety rail installed near the bathtub. It can prove to be dangerous if one is not careful enough.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
I am that overall you have enjoyed your stay. I have taken note of your comments and I will certainly be following up with my Head of Maintenance regarding the bathroom.
I will also share your cmpliments with the breakfast attendants.
With warmest wishes,
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We came across this property on TripAdvisor and by all accounts, it lived up to expectations.

Pros: Great location, Walkable to tube stop (Holborn) and Covent Garden and Oxford Circus, Local food stores nearby for things you might need, as well as coffee shops, eateries and other restaurants. Complimentary coffee and tea and lobby was a nice touch; no additional fee to use the gym (not heated! freezing in there) was also very much appreciated. The room was clean overall and the fridge and teapot were put to good use. Friendly service at front desk.

Cons: The room was very tight and crowded. We had no room for our large suitcases and the main hall closet barely fit our two winter coats. It's a small place, and the photos posted don't give an accurate portrayal of just how tight the space is. The bedroom fit the bed; no room for any bags so we placed them in the corner of the living room. The toilet was in its own room...it's more like a toilet closet and not very well lit. The actual bathroom was (again) small...no room on vanity to place kit bag with toiletries...had to hang them from door.But floors were heated (bonus in winter) and heated towel rack is nice to have for towels and hang-drying clothes. Wall-mounted TVs in living room and bedroom could have been a bit bigger...add to wish list.

BIG ANNOYANCE: people would let their doors slam shut upon entering and leaving rooms and the slamming would reverberate throughout the entire floor, making entire bed/room shake. It was very annoying and disruptive for those of us who weren't getting up and out early. Management might want to try and install soft-close door system.

The Skinny: Stay here for the location, don't bring lots of stuff, and request a higher floor to avoid noise from street below. Hope your neighbors are courteous enough to gently close their doors when they are coming and going.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on a higher floor to avoid noise from street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business