We have stayed at the Holborn and Trafalgar Square Citadines numerous times in the past and have always enjoyed the great locations and convenience of a kitchen, DID telephone, and good internet connection. This visit there were a couple of problems that you may want to consider.
When booking, the website offers a 30% discount if you are a subscriber to the e-newsletter and have a username/ login (you get the best rates with this anyway). Unfortunately, these special discount rates are limited and not always available at the participating properties and, despite the Best Rate Guarantee on the same website, if the discount rate doesn't show up when you are booking on line, there is no recourse.
I wrote Customer Service about the problem and received 4 replies, each giving a different reason for my not receiving the discount. In lieu of refunding my money they offered free breakfast for my visit.
The second problem is noise. The people seem to start banging the doors in the hallway at about 9 AM and continue as long as anyone is trying to sleep. While noise isolation from the street is good, the hallway transmits every sound made right into the room making it hard to sleep late (blame it on Jet Lag).
As always, the Holborn location is great for walking to plays, sightseeing, restaurants, etc.. The Sainsbury grocery is half a block away and the Holborn Tube station is on the corner with direct connections to Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line. Russell Square has some great Italian restaurants and is within easy walking distance.
Overall, the hotel is still a great choice with friendly staff and great facilities.
Although there have been a number of old posts regarding Simply Airports car service, we used them to/from the Heathrow Airport and found them very friendly, reliable, and competitive. Each time they called 15 minutes before the pickup time and confirmed they were ready and where they were waiting. I would recommend them highly. As an avid tube traveler, I found that nothing is better than having someone meet you and take your bags after a long transatlantic trip and the cost (about 30 pounds) is not a great deal more than the tube for two people.
Don't forget the Stockpot for good reasonable food.
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a great musical.
At the theater ask for Seniors discount (I ask for the "Old Peoples Discount") and buy tickets at the box office the day of the performance for a better deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just a short walk from Covent Garden and close to the financial and business district, Citadines Prestige Holborn-Covent Garden London is surrounded by traditional pubs, international restaurants, art galleries and churches. At Covent Garden, visit the converted 19th-century fruit and vegetable market, the London Transport Museum and the famous Royal Opera House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citadines Prestige Holborn - Covent Garden Hotel London
- Citadines Holborn Covent Garden London
- Citadines Holborn Covent Garden Hotel