“Good location, a great staff, but a few problems.”

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London
Ranked #352 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed at the Holborn and Trafalgar Square Citadines numerous times in the past and have always enjoyed the great locations and convenience of a kitchen, DID telephone, and good internet connection. This visit there were a couple of problems that you may want to consider.
When booking, the website offers a 30% discount if you are a subscriber to the e-newsletter and have a username/ login (you get the best rates with this anyway). Unfortunately, these special discount rates are limited and not always available at the participating properties and, despite the Best Rate Guarantee on the same website, if the discount rate doesn't show up when you are booking on line, there is no recourse.
I wrote Customer Service about the problem and received 4 replies, each giving a different reason for my not receiving the discount. In lieu of refunding my money they offered free breakfast for my visit.
The second problem is noise. The people seem to start banging the doors in the hallway at about 9 AM and continue as long as anyone is trying to sleep. While noise isolation from the street is good, the hallway transmits every sound made right into the room making it hard to sleep late (blame it on Jet Lag).
As always, the Holborn location is great for walking to plays, sightseeing, restaurants, etc.. The Sainsbury grocery is half a block away and the Holborn Tube station is on the corner with direct connections to Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line. Russell Square has some great Italian restaurants and is within easy walking distance.
Overall, the hotel is still a great choice with friendly staff and great facilities.
Although there have been a number of old posts regarding Simply Airports car service, we used them to/from the Heathrow Airport and found them very friendly, reliable, and competitive. Each time they called 15 minutes before the pickup time and confirmed they were ready and where they were waiting. I would recommend them highly. As an avid tube traveler, I found that nothing is better than having someone meet you and take your bags after a long transatlantic trip and the cost (about 30 pounds) is not a great deal more than the tube for two people.
Don't forget the Stockpot for good reasonable food.
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a great musical.
At the theater ask for Seniors discount (I ask for the "Old Peoples Discount") and buy tickets at the box office the day of the performance for a better deal.

1  Thank RNewOrleans
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear RNewOrleans,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments recently. We were disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations in certain aspects of your recent stay with us and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as it is only through such feedback that we are able to address issues otherwise overlooked. We look forward to welcoming you back to Citadines Prestige Holborn-Covent Garden when you are next in London.

Kind Regards,

Paul CAHILL| Assistant Residence Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The location is right across from the Holborn tube. The hotel is immaculate, the staff is very nice (esp. the breakfast staff), and the location is within walking distance of the Covent Garden area and the St.Pancras and Kings Cross stations. There was a major transit strike while we were in London, so we were glad we could walk to the Covent Garden area. The hotel has breakfast available, and they had the best gluten free bread I have ever had. Gluten free is a necessity for me. There is a grocery, Sainsbury, with in a block on the same street. There is no restaurant, but there are a number of restaurants nearby. There is a Pizza Express and Hush on either side, and there is a very "upscale" restaurant across the street. The only drawback is that there is no toll free number for the United States. I did everything via the internet.

1  Thank nrg_pgh
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Further to your recent stay at the Citadines prestige Holborn Covent Garden hotel I am in receipt of your feedback which you very kindly took the time to complete online.

It is immensely rewarding to read such a positive review and serves as a great motivator to the team here at the Hotel.

We strive to provide our guests with memorable experiences in the hope that they will return time and time again. I am very happy to read that this is exactly what you intend to do and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Before the review - thank you Frank

Frank was front of house on our arrival. He was a gentleman, helpful and so professional.

I would stay in Citadines hotels in every city if they had a Frank when I arrived. He made us feel welcome even arranged for gift for our stay. You cannot but or train people to do this, this is the reserve of good people.

So now for the hotel.... here goes

Location Great

Parking - On Site underground (off Eagle Street)

Staff - See above

Room - our apartment had a kitchen included. Excellent news and wish we had brought drink with us. If you do, remember to turn on the fridge.

the rooms are reasonable sized. a little bit above basic décor, but importantly, spotlessly clean

the bathroom is perfectly sized .. for two.

there is a shop 30 seconds walk away
there are bars within minutes

for the location, facilities and staff, there are a thousand places worse and more expensive

Definitely recommend Citadines Holborn

£149 - overnight stay in London with parking- perfect

Room Tip: the apartment with kitchenette was a good room. didn't stay for breakfast but I am sure it wa...
1  Thank Ekim O

Thank you kindly for bestowing us with your generous compliments in respect to our accommodations and amenities. We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations and I particularly thank you for the kind words you have for Franck. He is a great assett to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Citadines prestige Holborn. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stayed at Citadines on Holborn. I was attending a course at Holborn Bars 5 mins walk away and so selected Citadines for the location. I was very pleasantly surprised by the very nice and helpful staff. They were able to help me find a room even though I arrived at 8am. And they were able to keep me in the same room for my whole stay even though due to online booking changes I had actually booked two types of room over the week. The room I was in had a great view of Holborn. There is free wifi which actually works in the room (not always my experience at other hotels). Would recommend them for location and helpfulness. The room was modern and comfort wise had everything even a mini kitchen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Holborn - nice views and sunshine!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HK_Sala
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating a fantastic experience and that you have become such a fan of our service and amenities.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having previously stayed here, we returned again at the beginning of April. The apartment was immaculate and very comfortable and the Residence Manager and her staff were more than helpful. We would highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoeMar
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you kindly for bestowing us with your generous compliments in respect to our accommodations and customer service received. We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations .We look forward to welcoming you back to Citadines prestige Holborn. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel was centrally located near the grocery store, best for people on a budget because the room has its private little kitchenette. The kitchen was fully equipped though upon our check in they forgot to throw the litter from the previous guest. Which gives us the feeling that the hotel has a low standard for clealiness. The kitchenware was also dirty. The toilet bowl also has a black stain in it and one has to push the flush buttom several times before it actually flushes. We had no choice but to actually force ourselves to stay here until april 14. I have nothing against this hotel but j hope that citadines management will learn from this.

ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

I regret to learn that your stay was impeded by the issues you have highlighted in your feedback .Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we may have caused you. I have shared your experience with my executive team so we may provide the additional training to further improve the services and courtesies we extend to our guests.

I sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to London so that I may personally ensure that you have a much better experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 April 2014

- great location; supermarket is opposite across the road...meals can be found along the street
- room is pretty modern; I have a mini kitchen/pantry as well so that works with my takeways
- breakfast is so-so: nothing to shout about but works for me

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
ggesitg, General Manager at Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to learn that overall you have enjoyed your stay.I hope we can welcome you again very soon.
Regards