“a bit of a disappointment”

Hilton London Euston
Ranked #633 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We enjoy staying in Hilton hotels and usually find everything to our satisfaction but here is a word of warning. We were rather surprised how hard they tried to sell us an upgraded room on arrival. We said a standard room would be fine. However when we got in there it was so small we couldn't believe it. The double bed was up against the wall so the person on the inside would have to climb over the other person to get in or out. The lighting was so dim it was not possible to read the newspaper. We called down and complained and again were offered un upgrade but we refused to pay. Eventually they gave us a better room. Staff, all very pleasant but we will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are quite noisy from the very busy road outside.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Diliana D, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review after your recent visit at Hilton London Euston.
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the condition of the room. However due to the age and history of the building the size and shape of the bedrooms vary depending on their location within the property.
I have passed to the maintenance department your comments regarding the lights, thank you for your feedback and for your positive remarks regarding the staff.
I have relayed your feedback to my team, and do hope that you will return to the hotel so we can show you the true Hilton experience that you are accustomed to.

Best regards
Guest Relation

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in December. The room (82) was on the ground floor and was quite large with a king size bed which was super comfortable. Strangely the full length window looked out on to an internal 'courtyard' where people were having dinner! Thank fully breakfast was served in a different room. I had a few niggles - the kettle was broken, I reported it the first morning and they replaced it by the time I returned but they charged me for a mug of filter coffee from the breakfast room which I thought a bit off. There was no full length mirror in the room, the bath was one of those mini baths that no one over 5ft can reasonably fit in comfortably, the TV services were flaky particularly the wake up alarm. Sounds a bit picky but at £200 per night I expected a bit more attention to detail and better facilities in the room. Staff were charming but seemed unable to answer any questions about the above. Bar was very nice, pricey but what Hilton bar isn't. Very handy for Euston Station and bus routes. Would I go back? probably as it was clean and comfortable - but I'll probably still moan about the little things they could improve on!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton London Euston with TripAdvisor. I am most grateful for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am sorry to note that the bathroom was not completely to your satisfaction and that our team members were not able to answer to your questions. Thank you for mentioning our great location and we hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Best regards,

Guest Relation

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Moved three times due to air con issues and ended up in much smaller room than the one I paid for. I was offered an upgrade at a price of £40.00 in addition to the £179.00 paid (breakfast not included) only to find the heating not working in the room, then moved to a slightly smaller room, the air con would not turn off despite the best efforts of maintenance, moved to another room, this time a strange noise from the ventilation, moved to another very small room now it is 4am which would have cost £79.00 breakfast included.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Diliana D, Front Office Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you for staying at the Hilton London Euston and taking the time to fill in the SALT response with regards to your recent stay.

All guest comments are extremely important to us, as it is only through constructive feedback that we are able to assess and continuously improve the service standards that we strive to achieve.

First of all, I would sincerely apologise on behalf of the hotel management for the experience you had on your stay regards to the heating and the noise on the AC unit which we were not able to fix it. I am sorry to hear that you had to move to different rooms during the night. I have informed our Chief Engineer to look into the matter seriously to avoid similar incidents in the future.

I can understand your disappointment and you do not expect that kind of experience when visiting the Hilton hotel and I can only extend my apologies that we have not been able to meet your expectations on this occasion. I have discussed all your comments with the team in our briefings to avoid similar mistakes in future.

It is never our intention to lose a valued customer, and I would be very grateful if you would consider giving us another opportunity to show you the level of service and excellence that the Hilton London Euston is known for. I would like to offer complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room with breakfast upon your next stay with us.

In the mean time, please contact me if you have any future bookings with us, so that I will make sure to meet your expectations on your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Phyo Shein

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just spent a night here to celebrate Xmas in London. Reception was prompt and courteous and as an diamond HHonors member I was upgraded. Whilst I appreciate the upgrade the room was old, the bed was small and the duvet barely covered it. The sheets, pillowcase and towelling in the Bathroom was thin an unconditioned. The staff in the bar that evening were scruffy unshaven, ties undone and making a joke of some foreign guests that spoke very little english. Breakfast couldn't keep up with the demand for pastries as as soon as they were delivered they were gone! Very poor experience I'm afraid, you'd expect more of a Hilton.

Room Tip: I have to say try somewhere else a big disappointment
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I was slightly wary, given some of the reviews but need not have worried.

Check in was efficient and the family room (115) was large, light, clean and well furnished. The hotel is 5 mins from the nearest tube station and so is conveniently located - but it is not really within walking distance of the West End.

Buffet breakfast was varied, plentiful and of a good standard. Plenty of staff and always ready to bring extra tea and coffee.

Concierge was friendly and very helpful.

Only thing lacking is free wifi. A perennial gripe in lots of hotels is that the charge for 1 night is more than you'd pay for a month at home.

Would happily return.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here during my 4 day trip to London in mid December 2013. Rooms were alright, not the biggest but it had most I needed. Beds not the most comfortable. The wi-fi connection is a big joke at this hotel. Overall it is slow and keeps disconnecting all the time. On top of that they charge you for in-room use for it (14 pounds) - although complimentary in the lobby. I kept raising the issue with the staff but they pretended not being aware of those issues. Also, since the wifi is managed by a separate company (BT) the hotel keeps freeing themselves of responsibility. If the hotels wants repeated business they need to step up their game and take ownership of their internet infrastructure. We even kept overhearing other guests complaining about the wifi during breakfast. The breakfast btw is really good here! The hotel is also well located - close to the Euston station. The hotel itself is in a bit of a on old building - you can mostly tell in the hallways where the floor creaks and the smell is musky. Another issue I had was the mini fridge in the room. I was actually delighted they had one upon arrival since I had a few things that had to be kept cold. Unfortunately the fridge never worked properly and I think it's because the cleaning staff kept turning off the master switch in the room which also turned off the fridge. Hence some of the things I had got spoiled. So if the fridge is on the master electric connection the hotel should bypass the fridge. All in all an average stay and a bit of a disappointment for a Hilton.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Diliana D, Front Office Manager at Hilton London Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at the Hilton London Euston and taking the time to give us feedback of your stay.

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the internet charge in the room. We are currently offering complimentary internet in the restaurant, bar and public area, however, it is chargeable in the guest rooms. We are also offering complimentary internet to our Hhonors VIPs on their stay. As it is provided from the outside supplier, we normally report to the support team if there is any issue with the connection.

As our hotel occupies a Victorian building, there are some aspects of the building which we need to upgrade on the structure and we have a plan of refurbishment in the coming year. I would like to apologise that your food in the mini fridge were spoiled when the switch was turned off by mistake.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind regards

Phyo Shein

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton London Euston a couple of times recently and was very pleased with the accommodation, service and location. As a HHonors Gold member I was made very welcome and the upgrades for early check in and room exchange were both granted which helped me enormously on one particular trip. The breakfast is good and has a wide selection to meet all tastes and the staff are particularly helpful. The restaurant for dinner is also very good albeit pricey but this is after all central London so not over the top. I can recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be a little noisy and intrusive as the buses go by
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business