“Avoid this hotel”

The Grapevine Hotel
Ranked #439 of 580 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I think this must rank as one of the dirtiest, most squalid hotels I have stayed in. The room had never been dusted, the bathroom fan did not work, the paintwork was amateurish, one electric socket had expired, the shower outlet was almost blocked....the water from the sink emerged in the shower basin. The outside wall weeped, the woodwork was rotten. The advertised wifi did not work. Avoid.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Rooms very small, very dark. Toilet filthy, no plug to wash hand basin. No room in shower. Bedding none too clean. Mattress not covered. No where to hang clothes, had to be left in suitcase. Electric socket covered with masking tape to hide poor installation. Environmental Services could do with paying a visit to this hotel to carry out a full inspection. Heating: no control valves on radiators so couldn't control heat. Far too hot in bedroom. My advice "AVOID THIS HOTEL".

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank diamond004
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Hi everyone i came across with this hotel when searching for a place to stay while going in a short trip to london for business purposes,unfortunately i didn't even had the time to look for any reviews prior booking a room and was completely stunned by the lack of education from the staff in the hotel,no manners,consideration,no respect whatsoever towards their clients.The toilets were dirty,acceptable cleanliness in the room but overall from my point of view not worty at all for the price.Basically skipt this hotel and search another one if ur travelling london victoria.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2011

The whole family was bitten by bed-bugs. The hotel was disguisting!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank marial50
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Having stayed in a lot of budget hotels in central London whilst my partner did a 18 month stint working there, all of hotels I have been happy with.
This trip however was a trip with my sister for christmas shopping
Budget hotels are obviously not as good as luxurious ones but being a 25 yr old usual comes hand in hand with a rapidly vanishing bank balance!
I was so dishusted with this hotel that dispite paying for the room on arrival, felt compelled not to stay there.....and left, checking into another hotel and paying double the rate making this a very expensive trip all round. But at least we felt safe in this new hotel.
When we had paid, the gentleman (who was polite) took us to our supposed twin en suite room.......which was out of that building, round the corner and down the street into a different buidling with no reception and a front door that didnt close properly, letting anyone from the street come in.
The room had 4 beds in it??? and the "tea and coffee facilitties" had a lot to be desired! Anyway that could be put up with, but the wires hanging out of the wall by the radiator under the window was one of many health and safety hazzards spotted by us after being in the room no more than 10 minutes. Also booking an en suite twin room, as I see in a previous review, it was in a room with a down the corridor, with a yale lock on it? This is not an en suite!!!!!
Working in the Hospitality Industry myself, noticed the fire alarm on the ceiling showed the indication light meaning the alarm had gone off and not been reset.
As I mentioned before my Sister is 6 months pregnant, we both immediately, with no second thought, decided we could not stay here.
Going back to reception, down the street and round the corner, I explained all this to the same gentleman who took us to the room. I asked for a refund and he said he couldnt give us one and we had to come back to see the manager tomorrow. He did offer two other rooms, one being in the basement and one being in the other building with no reception. I could not even start to imagine what these were like, and declined.
We did then leave and book into another hotel and went back the following morning.
The manager came to speak to me and explained the cancellation policy is 48 prior to check in date and there was no way I could be issued with a refund. I went through the reason for us not staying in his hotel and that my sister is 6 months pregnant, we're two young women (25 and 27) and with a fire alarm that was not reset, what if there had been a fire? His response was "Well there isnt going to be one is there" and when I said the front door to the building we were staying in did not close correctly and ours was the first room by the front door, anyone could have got in, his response was "Welcome to London" I was lost for words. No refund was given. I am currently in the process of reporting them to health and safety and the hotel inspectors. I would recommend budget hotels at £65 a room for the night, as all previous ones have been exactly what is needed, and clean and safe,but this was completely the opposite.
I think after reading this review, you can make your own mind up about whether to stay here or not??
AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE TO THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank KristieKania
Reviewed 26 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel recently for a short break, I was assigned a room in the annexe. The room itself was fine with clean sheets/bedding. The room was described as ensuite however the bathroom was in its own room just further down the stairs. The quilt was quite thin and should have been thicker so a bit chilly at night. I received a daily maid service. The hotel is undergoing building work and had the builders starting work at 08:00 am each morning, so no chance for a lie in. The location is good near victoria coach and train station, the price was reasonable and was worth the money paid. There was no signs of bug infestations and check in/check out was straightforward. All in all , reasonable overall and would stay agan.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank magic_andy
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Be warned this place is a filthy dump.

If you enjoy bed bugs, then stay here, I mean large adult bugs that leave nasty welts when they bite you. This place has been recently shut down due to a huge bug infestation.

Dirty rooms (only clean where they can see, seriously DO NOT look behind the beds, you'll feel sick). I appreciate that bed bugs are a problem faced by hoteliers, but if rooms were cleaned PROPERLY the risk of bed bugs would be massively reduced. The spread of bed bugs in london is due to crap holes like this that never really clean the rooms, allowing the buggers to thrive and spread.

The positive reviews on here MUST be written by the staff of the hotel, no one can seriously enjoy there stay here (well maybe a tramp would enjoy it and I suspect many do).

Feel free to ignore my warnings, its your money and holiday you will be wasting and not mine. Broken, barely working showers, comically tiny bathrooms., that just have a dirty mop passed over them.

Even without the bed bugs this place is a excrement hole, with literally excrement stains in the floor of the toilet.

This place has not been properly cleaned in years, perhaps decades.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

As a footnote, most of the Cheap Hotels in warwick road are absolute hell holes, pay a little extra (£10-20) and get somewhere decent, clean and bed bug free.

Forget the Free Wi-fi internet it never works, the staff are too busy downloading stuff themselves.

Do not go for breakfast if you values your health, I took one look and went elsewhere for my breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business