“Not even suitable as a dog kennel !!!!”

The Grapevine Hotel
Ranked #439 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I concur with all the other "Bad" reviews.On arrival we were assigned to alternative accomodation of the Same Quality for the first " nights of our stay, due to a "room problem". On the day of the change over we asked to see our assigned room as the alternativie hotel had been Extremely Poor quality and our minds were wondering how much better / worse this could get. Our suspicions were proved right when we viewed No10. Filthy, Peeling / Damp wallpaper , plaster falling off walls, Broken Bed Frame. Needless to say we refused to be subject to those conditions although the manager couldn't understand the problem, stating that our expectations were Too High for a 35 year old B & B!!! We demanded a refund for the remaining 2 nights and actually got more that we paid for online!!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere !!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ALAN D

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Of course this is a cheap hotel at quite a good location, but the floors and walls are so thin that one can 'enjoy' the neighbours all night. Manager did nothing with my complaints. Also, everything looks very old, not dirty, but also not very clean. Breakfast was really basic. Waitress was not polite.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Koen900
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I think this must rank as one of the dirtiest, most squalid hotels I have stayed in. The room had never been dusted, the bathroom fan did not work, the paintwork was amateurish, one electric socket had expired, the shower outlet was almost blocked....the water from the sink emerged in the shower basin. The outside wall weeped, the woodwork was rotten. The advertised wifi did not work. Avoid.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Rooms very small, very dark. Toilet filthy, no plug to wash hand basin. No room in shower. Bedding none too clean. Mattress not covered. No where to hang clothes, had to be left in suitcase. Electric socket covered with masking tape to hide poor installation. Environmental Services could do with paying a visit to this hotel to carry out a full inspection. Heating: no control valves on radiators so couldn't control heat. Far too hot in bedroom. My advice "AVOID THIS HOTEL".

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank diamond004
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Hi everyone i came across with this hotel when searching for a place to stay while going in a short trip to london for business purposes,unfortunately i didn't even had the time to look for any reviews prior booking a room and was completely stunned by the lack of education from the staff in the hotel,no manners,consideration,no respect whatsoever towards their clients.The toilets were dirty,acceptable cleanliness in the room but overall from my point of view not worty at all for the price.Basically skipt this hotel and search another one if ur travelling london victoria.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2011

The whole family was bitten by bed-bugs. The hotel was disguisting!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank marial50
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Having stayed in a lot of budget hotels in central London whilst my partner did a 18 month stint working there, all of hotels I have been happy with.
This trip however was a trip with my sister for christmas shopping
Budget hotels are obviously not as good as luxurious ones but being a 25 yr old usual comes hand in hand with a rapidly vanishing bank balance!
I was so dishusted with this hotel that dispite paying for the room on arrival, felt compelled not to stay there.....and left, checking into another hotel and paying double the rate making this a very expensive trip all round. But at least we felt safe in this new hotel.
When we had paid, the gentleman (who was polite) took us to our supposed twin en suite room.......which was out of that building, round the corner and down the street into a different buidling with no reception and a front door that didnt close properly, letting anyone from the street come in.
The room had 4 beds in it??? and the "tea and coffee facilitties" had a lot to be desired! Anyway that could be put up with, but the wires hanging out of the wall by the radiator under the window was one of many health and safety hazzards spotted by us after being in the room no more than 10 minutes. Also booking an en suite twin room, as I see in a previous review, it was in a room with a down the corridor, with a yale lock on it? This is not an en suite!!!!!
Working in the Hospitality Industry myself, noticed the fire alarm on the ceiling showed the indication light meaning the alarm had gone off and not been reset.
As I mentioned before my Sister is 6 months pregnant, we both immediately, with no second thought, decided we could not stay here.
Going back to reception, down the street and round the corner, I explained all this to the same gentleman who took us to the room. I asked for a refund and he said he couldnt give us one and we had to come back to see the manager tomorrow. He did offer two other rooms, one being in the basement and one being in the other building with no reception. I could not even start to imagine what these were like, and declined.
We did then leave and book into another hotel and went back the following morning.
The manager came to speak to me and explained the cancellation policy is 48 prior to check in date and there was no way I could be issued with a refund. I went through the reason for us not staying in his hotel and that my sister is 6 months pregnant, we're two young women (25 and 27) and with a fire alarm that was not reset, what if there had been a fire? His response was "Well there isnt going to be one is there" and when I said the front door to the building we were staying in did not close correctly and ours was the first room by the front door, anyone could have got in, his response was "Welcome to London" I was lost for words. No refund was given. I am currently in the process of reporting them to health and safety and the hotel inspectors. I would recommend budget hotels at £65 a room for the night, as all previous ones have been exactly what is needed, and clean and safe,but this was completely the opposite.
I think after reading this review, you can make your own mind up about whether to stay here or not??
AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE TO THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY