“Terrible. Avoid.”

Ranked #426 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrible. Avoid.”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Arrived in London after a 30hr international flight to have a shower that was blocked and flooded the entire bathroom after 30 seconds of being turned on (literally) so was unusable. The night manager could not unblock it himself and there were no other rooms available so I spent another night without a shower. Disgusting. The WIFI did not work so I could not even call home to tell them I had arrived safely. The manager was arrogant and cheap and offered me 5 quid off my stay due to my experience. The only redeeming thing was the location but I stayed in a much better hotel 2 days later for the same price so shop around as you can get location without having to put up with poor quality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ange G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had booked this hotel for our visit to the Chelsea Flower Show in may as it was within walking distance. I have never been so disappointed with a hotel before. The twin room was on the 3rd floor up narrow stairs and it was so small, really small. The bed was pushed against a wall and you could only just get around the other side. The sink was in the room and had no plug. The toilet and shower was in what can only be called a cupboard. And you had to be careful sitting down or your knee's hit the door open. The tv was unwatchable, the free view had a very bad connection and there was no remote for it. Even after a visit to reception and a rumage through several draws all I got was a shrug and told sorry. We had to ask for extra pillows for the bed as you only get one each, this took an hour and they only can up with one ! On our second morning ( yes we had 2 days booked ) we realised that they had left no fresh towels so another trip to reception at 7am was in order. Breakfast was continental with toast, cheese slices and small Belgiun buns and the shower was ok. I know its in Chelsea but use the premier Inn instead, I know we will next time.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gaye E

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Staff at reception very friendly and helpful. Check in was easy, but you have to go to reception in the adjoining hotel. My room was up about three flights of stairs that curve around and could be difficult if you had a lot of luggage. My room was a single room and very small. It had a single bed on one side of the room, with a tv on the wall. The reception was very good and it had some free-view channels to choose from. Coat hooks, no hangers, a small shelf which had tea-making facilities and a hand basin on the other wall with a small window. No work surface or dressing table. There was only a small space to walk through to the en-suite. This was up a step and there was only enough room for a toilet and shower, no floor space in between. Everything was clean, but you only get one towel, slim slither of soap and a shampoo and shower gel sachet. Temperature was not controlable and although there was a good supply of tea, coffee, there were only two milk juggers. I did not have breakfast so can not comment on this. They will store your luggage for free when you check out and offer you assistance with bus/underground if needed. I would go back to this hotel if I needed accomodation just for one night. Overall rating is taking price into consideration

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Brighton
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The Grapevine Hotel in Victoria, London only sometimes answers its phone daytime and has pretty poor Trip Adviser reviews. There are doubts for me about whether bathrooms have to be shared from customer reports.

I booked through Venere who did not send me email confirmation. I only knew that I was booked in by ringing the hotel.

Venere have not replied to 2 email requests for a cancellation.

That seems to mean two full nights payments although the hotel's given price was slightly cheaper than Venere's one. Venere said by phone that therefore some kind of a refund could be possible.

That was emailed to Venere but ONCE MORE there has been no reply.

I have reported the situation to Trip Adviser. Their agency recommended that I write an account which has to be pre-dated for my July visit if there is a chance of publication.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PatBrighton
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

For the money this hotel was better than others in similar price bracket. Our room was compact but had everything we needed, fresh towels were given each day. Although hotel offers free wifi we were on second floor and couldn't connect to it but could get it in breakfast room. Hot water was available at 6 in morning but not a couple of hours later, also the water pressure wasn't brilliant so water didn't come out at a great rate. Breakfast was better than expected but the older lady was a little surly, also the patio door wouldn't close properly yesterday,21/2, so room was draughty. The left luggage facility was great and man on reception was very friendly and helpful. I would stay again but maybe in a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: Try for a room on ground or first floor for wifi access.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen H
London
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The pictures of this hotel did not match what we viewed. A number of rooms did not have ensuites. Room was very dated. for a hotel that has had refurbishment completed in June 2012 they really need to take another look at the situation. the bathroom was not cleaned during our stay. having worked in the industry I have never seen a hotel in the state this one was in. in actual fact we booked in else where on the second night.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

8 Thank Ciaran g