“Nightmare - be warned. Dont stay there....unless you like to donate your blood to the bugs!”

The Grapevine Hotel
Ranked #439 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2010

First the room looks ok. Then we slept. The worst night we ever had is to wake up at 3am &found lots of bed bugs under my pillow, the blankets and the whole bed!They are in all sort of sizes, crawling creepyly and worst of all, everyone that you squeeze, the blood just squirt out. Can you imagine the whole bed in white bed sheet w red blood spots all over. Me and my friend stayed up whole night cant wait to get out of the place. The toilet is dirty and mouldy, lights not working and lock is damaged. How to bathe? The night before we came back around 9pm and there was a drunken man greeted us at the reception. Remember, the room we stayed is 39. Stairways is narrow and steep. Dont expect to carry luggage up the stairs even on 3rd storey. This is a nightmare hotel. Even for £50 is not worth it. Need to send in a complaint to the tourist board about this hotel. Altho it is suppose to be near victoria, still have to walk at least 25 to 30 mins ! TERRIBLE hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank BudgetSGTraveller

Reviewed 5 June 2010

well what can i say came with my familly for my uncles wedding and i woke up in the middle of the night with bites all ova my body got out of bed to find these bugs in the bed they were big it was dirty and toilet didnt flush and toilet was tooo small service was well disgracefull never coming bk !!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bbyblue1986
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I really could tell many details on this stay, but sometimes images are better than any words.
Check the photo attached.
Considering the neighbourhood (quite and pretty nice) and the nearness of Victoria station (which means thousand of tourist coming in easily by foot each day) it is really incomprehensible how an Hotel can offer such a bad service and amenities.
Anyway here are some details and commentaries
First: my girlfriend book, damn her :-) , this room via Internet to the Sheriff Hotel. Well actually we had to check in at the Grapevine Hotel,. The reception is shared. We got key for the Grapevine. Therefore pay attention. They're both the same. I'll post the same review for Grapevine.
Second: we booked a “Double Suite with private WC”. The room was in a separate building (40th Cambridge Street) and incredibly tiny (no wardrobe). We discovered shortly after that the actual room was a bit bigger, but then divided using rudimentary wall in order to fit in the restroom (WC and a shower). Up on these rudimentary walls you can check what was left. That is how you call it a job well done.
Second: heating did not work at any time. We discovered this during the first night. We asked the guy. Nothing. Second night still freezing. Told the guy again. At the end he just joked with us, telling he would send someone who obviously never came.
Third: cleaning. The first two towel we gotten were disgusting with some spot on it. Floor was not better. Windows neither and check pictures of the shower. Least but not last the entrance.
The final surprise came while looking around, when we have found where the cleaned sheets and towels were sheltered: simply laying on the ground of the main stairs, at the upper floor. These was not an exception.
Well finally we were in London just for three days, it was Mayday week-end, many hotel around were fully booked and therefore we did not wanted to lose one entire day to find a new accommodation. We survived of course, but this was really irritating.
If this reviews can help someone to avoid this place it would make us a bit happier.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ando-A-78
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The room is tiny (i.e. open the door and you step into the bed), dirty, and missing the bathroom, toilet, and the sink that was promised in the original hotel booking. When asked, the hotel staff said that the next day a room with a private bathroom will be available because it had to be specially cleaned that day. The next day, a room with just a toilet was offered. I found not only the hotel is unacceptable, the hotel staff is also dishonest. So, never never give them your credit card until you are happy with your assigned room, Check the bathroom. A so-called bathroom may only have just a toilet! Or just avoid this place all together !

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank FreqTraveller0309
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Only good thing about the Hotel is the location. The room was tiny and dirty, I think they haven`t cleaned the floor for years. The stairs are very narrow, only one person can walk confortably. You should not bother to wake up for the breakfast, isn't worth it...

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kissk
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed for 3 nights in February 2010 and it was a wonderful experience.
I was limited on budget so I booked this place, I did read a lot of reviews and I was very scared.
When I got here my whole perception changed. Staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are very small but with that money (£20 Per Night) it is worth it. I had lcd tv in the room, tea maker etc etc. All amenities were there and they were clean as well. I recommend it for everyone who is looking for cheap place to stay. Good value for money!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank liverpoolsus
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I stayed there for 3 nights and my first thought was "for so little money, I can't expect a good accomodation in the middle of London". But I was so wrong.
I was very surpriced how nice the rooms were. Sure, you can't compare it with hotel standard as it is just B&B. So everything is basic and space is rare in London City. That is why rooms are small. But they are clean, I had my own shower and toilet (on demand), hair dryer, daily fresh toiletries, a mirror and flat screen TV. Breakfast was good and sufficient. And most important: People were very, very friendly and very helpfull.
As I said you can't compare it with hotel standard, but for so little money, it is the best accommodation you'll ever find in London City if you decide for B&B.
If I ever come back to London, I'll stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo