“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Colliers Hotel

Colliers Hotel
Ranked #997 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 November 2013

When we arrived they informed me that they had already tried to take money from my account, we were meant to pay at check in or check out not before. Also they had no rooms for us so we were transferred to a different hotel on the first night and then another one the next night. The staff were ignorant and rude. Especially in the morning during breakfast.The breakfast was basic with a choice of toast or cereal which was fine. The room was dirty and the shared showering facility was also very unclean ( we were meant to have a private one in the first place) I stayed with my 2 friends, we are not fussy and we wanted somewhere we could stay that was a reasonable price as we are students, therefore we were not expecting anything special. I am concerned that they have even passed inspection and I'm almost positive the hotel I'd definitely not family run!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank kerrybrady12

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had a short stay in London, so this hotel was ok for our time, but was not the best. It was cheap considering the average price for hotels in London and is located in a good area - close to the underground, mall and bus lines. The neighborhood also had a pocket of close bars and restaurants and seemed relatively safe. The hotel itself is tiny and needs a ton of renovation. We were a party of three and we were placed in a small room with a very, very small bathroom. You basically could take a shower and then brush your teeth at the same time because the sink was connected to the shower. There is no A/C so if you're traveling in the summer beware. Unfortunately, the owners had to move us after the first night because our room needed "reservations." It was very inconvenient and they should of known this ahead of time. The hotel also claims they have free WiFi, but the owners ask to borrow your laptop in order to install the WiFi, which seemed a bit sketchy to me. There is free continental service, but plan to get there early because the restaurant in the basement is very small and there was always a wait. Don't expect special treatment, no fresh towels or bed service at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne K
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had a very bad experience with this hotel. They tried to put me in an underground dungeon-like room designed for storage not hotel guests. In view of the basement location, I dont think there has ever been ventilation in the room.

I didn't mind the small size but the room was unfit for human habitation due to air thick with the putrid stench of damp and mould. I refused to stay on health grounds and demanded a refund. The staff were very rude and refused my reasonable request for a refund.

The manager locked the door saying I would still be charged as a no show. I said it's not a no show as I was present. He then said they would say I didn't turn up even though I did. He openly admitted they would lie. I therefore asked for a letter or note to confirm I attended, he rudely declined and started shouting at me.

They said they would would give me a refund if someone else stayed there in my place, I refused as I said noone else would stay there in view of the severe damp and it was 11.30pm anyway. I refused this ridiculous offer saying a refund was due on basis room was not fit for human habitation.

Clinically the room can possibly precipitate asthma and other respiratory conditions. It can also be very stressful. I have reviews of people who suffered the room found it demoralising amongst other things.

The hotel is preying on desperate people who feel they have no choice so stay the night as they have already booked, paid and its too late. Noone would sensibly stay there the night if they had a choice. I was fortunate as I managed to find somewhere else.

I strongly advise you do not stay at Colliers Hotel. I'm sure other rooms are in poor decor but habitable. If you get the cellar room you will suffer and possibly become unwell. In addition to the cellar room, the staffs attitude is disgusting. I have asked laterooms to get my refund but the hotel staff are giving them the run around and not returning calls.

I have reported the hotel to the Enviromental Health department of Westminster Council and will also inform trading standards. I may take the hotel to court out of principle also for the money they have amorally taken from me.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Asim N
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'll start with the good point. Colliers is in a good location only a 10 minute walk from Victoria so is an ideal location to stay. Now the bad bits. The owners are in it to make as much money as possible. The hotel didn't feel very clean. The rooms are tiny. No tea and coffee in the room. Only 2 towels and no complimentary soap or shampoo. Breakfast was called 'continental' and was only toast and cereal. This is the first B&B I have stayed in that didn't provide the choice of a cooked breakfast. On the bed there was no mattress protector and the bottom sheet was all there was between us and the mattress. One of the curtains was hanging half off. There is nowhere to get the towels dry and when we came back on day 2 the maid had folded up both the towels ensuring they stayed wet and hadn't provided any more toilet paper.
Give this place a miss and look for somewhere better.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MickandVicci
Reviewed 24 August 2013

After much research for an affordable hotel in the generally expensive city of London, I chose the Colliers Hotel, as it seemed to be the most affordable, and the reviews on hotels.com weren't so bad. (I neglected to check TripAdvisor before booking, where the reviews for this hotel are much worse). I booked the hotel for 7 nights for myself as well as 3 of my family members.

Upon arriving at the hotel, which is in a great location in London, right around the corner from Victoria Station, I realized this stay might not be as pleasant as I had anticipated. We arrived early and the room was not ready yet, so the front desk attendant let us leave our bags conveniently by the emergency exit (fire hazard). While putting our bags there, one of the maids rudely pushed past my mother, almost pinning her against the wall. I might as well note that throughout the entire stay, the maids were extremely rude, constantly leaving garbage in the hallways and not even bothering to smile. They even opened the door to our room a few times without knocking. Horrible hospitality. Our room at first looked to be of a decent size, with two single beds and one double bed, but we were later mistaken. Once all of our suitcases were in the room, we barely had room to move. I had to literally leap onto my bed over my suitcase because there was no room to walk. By the end of the week, our hotel room looked like an episode of "Hoarding: Buried Alive" because it was physically impossible to keep the "space" organized. The bathroom was ridiculously small. I cannot even begin to explain how small the bathroom was, especially for 4 people to share over an entire week. There was no air circulation in the room, and I was creeped out just sleeping under the covers.

By the second night, two of us decided to get our own room for two nights in order to have a little more space. My sister and I stayed in a room upstairs. This was by far the worst night I spent at this hotel. The smell of mold/sewage coming from the miniscule bathroom in our room was enough to make my eyes tear. When entering the bathroom, we would cover our faces with articles of clothing to mask the smell and prevent becoming sick. Not to mention, the bathroom/porto john/plastic space-looking pod featured a sink that was located in the shower. Sleeping that night was impossible. We slept on top of the covers because sleeping underneath them gave us too much anxiety. If it weren't for marathons of American television shows, I don't know if we could have made it through the whole night in that room. The next day, we asked to be moved to another room, and the man at the front desk moved us to a room in the basement, which was definitely an improvement because it didn't smell. This was short-lived, because once we used the shower, the water leaked all over the floor and caused the room to smell like dirty, wet laundry for the next two days.

I'll skip the rest of the long and terrible story about this hotel and finish with a few last points.
The breakfast in the hotel was by far the worst I've ever seen. Pieces of toasts provided by the lovely maids, warm orange juice, instant coffee, and a few random cereal flavors that I would never eat. We walked to Café Nero the whole week instead and enjoyed coffee and muffins from there. We would have saved more money by staying in a more expensive hotel that offered a better breakfast, as we spent about 20 pounds each day on food and drinks for the 4 of us.

You are only allowed 3 towels every 3 days, even when there are 4 people. Use them wisely.

The whole hotel smells like bizarre foods that the employees eat. I understand they need to eat but it literally makes the whole hotel smell disgusting since there is absolutely no air circulation.

There is no air circulation in the rooms. You can leave your window open, but it has no screen, so expect flies and other insects to welcome themselves into your room.

One of the days the maids left a pile of dirty towels in front of our door, and they watched us leap over the towels to make it into our room.

One of the pillows in our room had mysterious brown stains all over it, and we had to ask for another pillow.

I love the city of London, and I thoroughly enjoyed going out each day. The hotel was so terrible that we would wake up as early as possible, stay in town all day, and then come back as late as possible.

I will say that the man at the front desk tried to be as accommodating as he could, but there is only so much he can do when he has nothing to work with.

I'm pretty sure this hotel should be shut down, or at least completely gutted and renovated.

Stay somewhere else. It will be worth the money and worth your peace of mind.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank NPS1990
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel is clean, but that was really all that it had going for it. The room was tiny, the bathroom was too small (the shower is over the sink, with no shower curtain), and breakfast was only for one hour (from 8am to 9am, on a Sunday morning!).
It was a fine night's sleep, and the location was convenient, but would not stay here again.

If you really just need a bed, and you'll only be there for one night, it was not terrible, but it was nowhere near good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chickenlyttle2323
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Poor customer service and value for money sums up this hotel. First was the ridiculous call i got at 8:37am on the day of my arrival via voicemail leaving a threat of striking off my booking if i did not call back. My booking in thenfirst place was evidence i wanted to stay there so that left a bad taste in my mouth. The room was so small , toilet like that found in a portacabin or a camp site , see attached pictures . In addition it was so hot and there was no fan etc in the room so i had no choice but to keep the window open all night and it was by thr road so , so noisy. I obviously did not sleep well. Also no toiletries , no tea or coffee or kettle or fridge in the room. It was just a small room with a toilet and thats it . For £79 i consider it a ripe off !!!! My recommendation is , use it as a last resort if your only option is sleeping on the streets !!!

Room Tip: If you must stay in this hotel, ask for a room not facing the road .
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo