“I must have done something bad in a former life”

Grenville House Hotel
Ranked #1,013 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Derby, United Kingdom
“I must have done something bad in a former life”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My fiance and I stayed here in May as we were visiting London for a friends wedding. We arrived on the Friday afternoon and was supposed to check out on the Sunday morning.
Lets put it this way, it's that bad we couldn't face staying the Saturday night after the Friday night.
We checked out a day early and lost the £120 per night we had paid and then spent and extra £50 purchasing new train tickets to go home a day early as we could not face another night.

We never tried the food - I am pregnant and we daren't risk it! I even had to send my other half out for bottled water.

If I was anymore pregnant in the time I wouldn't have even been able to use the 'ensuite' toilet as the space was that cramped I could sit on the loo and wash my hands in the basin and wash my feet in the shower all at the same time. It was like somebody had glued a portaloo to the wall and labelled it 'ensuite'.

Please please I beg of you, do not waste your money. Go on lastminute.com and book one of those mystery hotels for the same price - there is no hope in hell it would be any worse than this!

Room Tip: Do't choose ANY room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kirsty C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just back from a trip to london which was with my family,the area was good as close to kings cross and to the centre for sight seeing.
Wished we had read reviews before,our two rooms I believed was booked at the guilford and on arrival were taken next door to the Greenville, these were of poor up keep and although sheets were clean the rooms were disgusting the rooms smelled of damp, urine .
Dust , stains ,dirty mugs need I go on.
Breakfast was next door at the guilford, we only went once , no full English only foreign workers whose partial grasp of our language was yes, yes and served pale cold toast.
We took a positive from this and stayed out till late and caught the sights of london.

Room Tip: Use different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dale M

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I've never written a bad review before, but was moved to with this place.

What really upset me was that I was cold in the night. The next day I asked for an extra blanket or quilt but the management refused to find me one. How's that for service.

Had that not happened I could have overlooked the tatty, smelly, cramped and dingy aspects.

The difference between this place and the ones for a few quid more around the corner us staggering ... And you'll end up paying that to get a drinkable cup of coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank patmoffett
Londonderry
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was a bit worried when I read the other reviews so I was expecting the worst. I booked through Hotels.com and specified four single beds as I was travelling with 3 children. When I arrived, we had been given a room with a double and two single beds. When I brought this to the attention of the manager, he apologised and gave us a family room after explaining that the full details had not been passed to him from the website. The second room was basic but spacious and clean.

London is an expensive place to stay so when you are paying these prices, don't expect the Ritz. This hotel is clean, safe and central and I would recommend it to any budget travellers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lagliokid
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Had a better experience than I expected after reading other reviews. Room was cleaner than expected, but a bit run down. Top pillows (decorative) did not appear too clean. Found someone else's underwear down the side of our bed, chewing gum on the windowsill, bathroom you couldn't swing a cat in, but was relatively clean. All part of the fun!! However it is central London, great location, and cheap for where you are! Stay here if you are not planning on spending long in the room. By the way the picture on this website is not of the reception we saw, not sure where this picture is from. Continental Breakfast not up to much, but there are breakfast places around Russell square if you want a little more. Reception friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013