“Ruined our engagement weekend”

Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf
Ranked #366 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Ruined our engagement weekend”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I have never left a bad review before but I have to this time! To start off there is no problems with the staff, they're great. Other than that it's a disaster! The rooms were basic and what we though looked tidy. But soon enough we found a few ants, as a cleaner came into our room daily, we often left the dead ants lying about as proof so they could see for themselves we weren't lying.
After the first night I started to itch on my legs and my arms, only to find our that I had been bitten several times on my body by bugs. I didn't blame the hotel until my newly engaged fiancée also started to have these itchy bites all over his body the following day!
When contacting the hotel after our stay they instantly dismissed the idea of bugs in their hotel, which could be the only option as me and my partner live in separate houses so could obviously not have had them anywhere else!
We booked this hotel as a celebration for our engagement, and we'd chosen this hotel since the website said it was exceptionally close to the o2 arena, but if you are not familiar with that part of London like we weren't then you'd soon find out that there was a river between this hotel and the arena and you'd have to go all the way around it by car or train in order to reach it, which obviously was longer than we imagined !

I may sound as though I am being dramatic but I would honestly not recommend this hotel to anyone!
(Photos of the bites have been uploaded on tripadvisor as proof from me)

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LowriWyn
ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Lowri Jones,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform me with your comment regarding your stay at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf.

I was sorry to learn that following your stay you suffered you suffered with bites to your skin which you have attributed to an insect having bitten you whilst you were at the hotel. Please be assured that we take any reports of this kind very seriously and following your email, the hotel called experts in to inspect the room. While no evidence of any insect was found, this will continue to be monitored in addition to the hotels regular preventative actions already in place.

With regard to the refurbishment works going outside of the hotel, I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and for the impact this had on your stay.
While the construction work is necessary, it is intended for there to be minimal impact on guests and I regret this was not your experience. Please be assured that I will be addressing your comments with the contractors.

Thank you once again for bringing these issues to our attention. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps us to continually improve the quality of our customer service.

Please contact me on the sylvie.gallon@accor.com to organise your next stay.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf and better meet your expectations in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Sylvie Gallon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Its been a long time since I wrote a review, probably due to lack of internet at home!! Never mind all sorted now. I just had to write a review on this hotel, I stayed there recently and although the rooms are basic they are very clean and I was more than happy with them.

The staff are so friendly and helpful, and assisted where they could. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

I can see that the Manager responds to reviews, I would like to congratulate your staff for doing an excellent job!! Well done and hopefully see you next year!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cruising50
ibisLondonDockland, Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very thankful for this kind review and for giving us the maximum score of 5 stars following your stay at the Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf.

I am pleased that you had a great time with us. I am particularly satisfied to see that one again our staff made all the difference by being so friendly.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our property for your future trip to London.

Thnak you,

Best Regards,
Shamsudeen Seinulabdeen
Assistant Manager
Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Althuogh a typical IBIS hotel, the accommodations are just fine and the breakfast is plenty of good quality. Rooms are small but the new bathrooms are efficiently styled with a great shower place.
Location ideal for Docklands and Canary Wharf activities. regrettably the parking lot suffered from nearby high rise construction, so it is hard to reach for a limited time.

Room Tip: Underground station in walking distance
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf.
sandown Isle of Wight
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Problems with checking in-we had already paid in advance on MasterCard and I had on my iPad a receipt showing there was nothing to pay. On checking in the clerk said that we need to pay and disputed it and for 10 minutes we had to haggle and argue before the manager was called. In the end she acknowledged that the problem lay with them and their internal bookkeeping system.
Fortunately, the whole issue was resolved amicably and I have to say that for the duration of our short break of three nights and four days in London we found the hotel served this admirably.

Our room was comfortable, breakfast was excellent and everything was just fine with newspapers, good hot water in a very good shower and comfortable beds. What more could you ask for a reasonably priced short stay.

We would definitely stay again in this particular hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,
It was nice meeting you.
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf.
Looking forward to welcome you on your next trip.
Canoas
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is ok when compared to similarly priced hotels in London. But for the high price you pay you cannot expect to get the same you would get at Ibis in other cities.

The employees are generally courteous, but you might find one who is not entirely fluent in English. Also, I had a small difficulty upon checking in. My credit card would not work due to a technical glitch, but the reception clerk wouldn't let me check in and settle the bill later on. Instead I had to go out under heavy rain looking for a Lynx cash machine five minutes away and had to come back soaking wet. Not the very best way to start a leisure trip.

Room Tip: The DLR station might look very close, but it's actually almost 10 minutes away when you take in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf .
I hope to see you on your next trip.
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Typical Ibis, devoid of any character or interest, though the foyer had clearly had some work done recently.

The room was clean, the bed comfy so it was precisely what we needed.

Short walk to the DLR and only 10 minutes in to London so not too far out.

1 Thank Kezzar53
ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis London Docklands Canary and I am pleased to read you enjoyed the bedding quality and the location. I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards,
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

On arrival we were told we had to pay for parking this needs to be highlighted when booking.The room was far too hot with no air con as advertised so we tried to sleep with the window open but the road noise was very loud (so we didn't sleep). Also we ordered food but sent it back as it was of extremely poor standard.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ibisLondonDockland, General Manager at Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Ibis London Docklands Canary Wharf during your visit.

Your experience does not reflect the normal high standards of service we offer so please accept my sincere apologies.

If you wish to contact me on my direct email sylvie.gallon@accor.com

I shall follow up on your comments for immediate action. Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future for a hassle free experience.