“Cramped but convenient ...”
Review of Anchor House Hotel

Anchor House Hotel
Ranked #118 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The very convenient location of the Anchor House helps a guest to overlook the very cramped rooms. The service is good and the staff were very helpful, and the location, opposite Golders Green Station, is superb. It must be said that the rooms and bathrooms are cramped to the point of claustrophobia. In a double room (for one person) I just about managed, as long as I folded up the one chair before attempting to move around. There is no easy solution short of buying the house next door and doubling the size of the place. You can't really turn around in the shower and the toilet is so close to the wall that it is almost impossible to use. I was also unhappy that neither the linens nor towels were changed at all during a five-day stay. However the staff were very thoughtful and the beds were comfortable. The hotel is peaceful and well-run, and I would probably put up with the discomfort and stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick the largest room you can and be prepared to be cramped.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Enjoysgoodfood21
There are newer reviews for Anchor House Hotel

Reviewed 16 May 2013

My adult daughter and I stayed at this guest house twice. We stayed in the garden room in the back. It was very small, but for one person it would be perfect. Would have loved to have sat on the patio in the evening, but it rained most of the time. On second visit we stayed in the first room on the main floor and it was lovely. Clean, safe and very close to tube station, buses, restaurants, etc. The lady that prepares the delicious breakfast is very nice. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank PegsterCanada
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I stead here last year, its an ok Hotel and i would stay again but i am not going to pay £92 for a night. There are other Hotels cheaper than this in fact i look on this as being more off a guest house. Its a pity they are charging so much as its one off the better places to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank timelordBelfast
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at this guest house in a single ensuite room (number 3) on the ground floor for two nights whilst my mother was having treatment at the Royal Free Hospital (5 mins away by car). The location is excellent, across the road from Golders Green Station, but still in a quiet location. The free bookable parking on the front drive was a real bonus in this part of London. On checking in, I received a very warm welcome and it was efficiently conducted. The communal areas and my room were spotless. The facilities were very good; hairdryer, safe, fridge, iron and ironing board, tv, toiletries, heated towel rail, tea, coffee and biscuits were all provided. The room was very well decorated, as was the ensuite bathroom and I considered it to be a good size for my needs. The bed was also very comfortable and it was very quiet at night. As a lone woman guest, I felt very safe here, as there were CCTV cameras and also motion security lights activated when moving through the accomodation at night. The continental breakfast was very healthy and nicely presented; scrambled eggs, baked beans,cereals, pastries, croissants, cheeses, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, fruit juices, tea, coffee and toast were plentiful.
I also have to give my sincere thanks to the proprietor for helping me out of a predicament when I inadvertantly locked my keys in my car on the way to see my mother. Without his assistance I would not have made it to the hospital in time to see her before she went down for her treatment. I cannot recommend this guest house enough, for its facilities and service. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Jackie O
Reviewed 12 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank groovychick40
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Our room was small but big enough for that we needed - wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night :-). I expected smaller room on the base of some reviews I have read, but the biggest room in the hotel (4 adults) was really enough for our family (4 members, 2 teenagers). The room was clean, the bathroom nice. The neighborhood is very quiet, although the bus/tube/coach (National Express - direct line for Stansted Airport) station is just around the corner. Which is, of course, very convenient. Breakfast was OK, toast, cakes, eggs, baked beans, flakes, lots of fruit, tea, cofee. Just around the corner are many restaurants with reasonable prices. I recommend the Italian one (Charlies pizza). We spent a really nice 4 days in the hotel for a very nice price. We will certainly come again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
6  Thank Natasa M
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in the familyroom for 3 nights. Great clean room and bathroom, comfy beds , nice people, good breakfast! Very good value for money,would definititely come again .Nice neighbourhood with many good restaurants and easy access into Central London.

• Stayed: February 2013