“Rooms falling apart and bad cleaning”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #451 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Radisson Blue at Portman square is a typical high-class business hotel but does not fully match expectations in its category. The rooms are reasonably sized but that's the only positive note. Cleaning was below any acceptable standards, with stains of undefined nature on the linens (see picture) and clouds of hairs around wires (see picture). In the bathroom, the shower holder was not properly attached to the wall (see picture) and on the third day I had to fix it myself with my Swiss army knife. Also, the heating was not running properly (16°C during the day when running at its max). Of course I reported all of the above to the reception the first morning and all I got was a dismounted ceiling (see picture) and plenty of dust on the floor (which - surprise, surprise - was not cleaned up completely for the remaining two days...). All this for 130 GBP per night (special group price). I heard there were other guests experiencing similar issues in the west wing, while others (in the east wing) seemed quite happy. I suspect that the rooms which are falling apart are the cheaper ones in the west wing, while the rooms in the east wing have probably been renovated. The staff at the reception did not confirm but also did not deny it.
Another disappointing aspect is the gym. It is well equipped and it would be perfect for a bit of exercise before dinner, however, the place is constantly filled in with people who are not hotel guests and who have a subscription to this gym. It might therefore happen, that you get there full of good intentions and have to queue up or go back to your room.
Part of the staff is very nice and takes care of their guest, others are really rude and don't seem to enjoy their job (heard them speaking quite badly of the management).
A positive note is deserved by the restaurant. The food is quite ok, and the staff is very nice, fast, and happy to accommodate special requests.
This hotel is also very well positioned if you are in London for business, a bit less convenient for tourist, until you want to walk to the tube or take a cab.
All in all, no need to stay at this hotel until you are really obliged to, as London can offer many alternatives in this price class which are worth the money. The restaurant is worth a visit.

Room Tip: If really you want to stay here, opt for the more expensive rooms on the east wing
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tk920
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your dissatisfaction in regards to your stay in March to our attention.

First allow me to sincerely apologize on behalf of the Radisson Blu Portman team for the disappointing experience. We do pride ourselves on delivering consistent service and we continuously strive for 100% guest satisfaction and clearly in this occasion we have failed to do this. In regards to the difference between the two towers, the rooms in the West wing and the East wing mainly differ because of the décor and the room categories. The standard rooms located in the West wing are the most used ones and often fully booked and therefore they might show more wear and tear than the rooms in the East wing in general. Since March we have started new projects to better maintain the rooms as well as updated our air-conditioning system on two floors. The soft refurbishment projects are on-going and we are still also planning for the full refurbishment that we hope to see materializing in the near future. With the soft refurbishment projects we attend to remedy the concern to the best of our ability. In regards to the issues you faced with the cleanliness of the room, the feedback has been already brought to our Executive housekeeper who will certainly follow up with her team.
I regret to hear also about the issues you faced at the Club22 gym and rest assured I have highlighted the feedback to them and they will follow up accordingly.

I am glad to see that you have been pleased with our central location and our Portman corner Restaurant. I will be delighted to share your kind comments with our Restaurant team and they will certainly be happy to hear such a lovely feedback.

I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to address the issues highlighted in the review and make the disappointing experience right for you. May I kindly ask you to contact me directly to better discuss your experience with us?

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel and show that the issues have been followed up. I wish that during your future visit we would be able to meet your expectations.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London

Reviewed 3 October 2013

A friend reserved this hotel for me. I'd have preferred to stay next door at the Hyatt…

reception all ok - very courteous and helpful

rooms are in the original decor it seems, very tired and in need of a makeover

bar staff pleasant enough, although seemed to shut shop very quickly

I'll not be hurrying back

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hello_Mr_Dave

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to share your review with us.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is essential when evaluating areas where we still need to improve as well as highlighting the concerns that would need our attention.
I regret to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the rooms. Allow me to assure you that we are currently doing several projects to address those concerns. We are investing in the property and doing soft refurbishment like renewing the air-conditioning system and touches to the interior of the rooms as well.

I was pleased to read that you have been pleased with our staff and the service. I will be delighted to share the positive feedback with the team and I am sure they will be motivated.
I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns personally and if I may kindly ask you to contact me directly to further discuss you recent experience?

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel and upon your next visit meet your expectations.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

had a very pleasant afternoon tea at the Rad Blu Portman Square on Sunday. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very nice afternoon tea with lovely scones and plenty of jam and cream. Sandwiches were very nice but lacking in filling - almost all bread but nonetheless taste was good. Champagne was very nice. Would definitely go again. Great ambiance - great setting. Enjoyed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and writing the review.

We could not be happier to see that you have enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. It is a pleasure to read that you found our staff very friendly and helpful and I will be glad to forward your kind comments to them. Moreover I am very glad to see that you would definitely come back, please rest assured you are more than welcome and all staff here at the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel is looking forward to that.

We hope to welcome you back soon and please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can help you with.

Kind Regards,
Justyna Kozuchowska
justyna.kozuchowska@radissonblu.com

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for a weekend recently at this hotel and found it very disapapointing. We booked a double business class room which looked nothing like the photo on the website-it had twin beds rather than the large king size featured and was tired and the bathroom very average. When I complained and asked to be moved the stand- in manager was rude and made me wait for ages while he flicked through paperwork while remaining silent and avoiding eye contact- he made me feel guilty for complaining! The second day the dining room was full and we were told we would have to have our breakfast in the reception area!(we had booked for bed and breakfast)- I wouldn't book this hotel again- I assume that because the hotel is close to the centre of London they can get away with poor service and below average rooms!

1  Thank Kathryn L

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for bringing your dissatisfaction to our attention.

Allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the disappointing experience, both with the staff and breakfast. I regret to read that one of my colleagues did not present our Yes I can spirit, which I have to say is very unusual and definitely not up to our standards. Rest assured this matter has been brought up to the Front Office Manager attention to follow up with the staff and make sure that additional training is given. Regarding the breakfast, we might indeed get busy at the peak hours; however this should never disrupt the comfort of your breakfast, I would like to inform you this issue has been highlighted to the our F&B department to investigate and make sure it does not re-occur.

May I kindly ask you to contact me directly as I would love to have an opportunity to restore your faith in the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel and make this disappointing experience right for you.

I do hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel and prove that we are a hotel that does care of our guests and we are here to make their stay as comfortable as possible.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Justyna Kozuchowska
justyna.kozuchowska@radissonblu.com

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night; we rented a flat and needed a one night stay while waiting to transfer.

Hotel was in a nice location near tube station. It was clean, had nice staff, nice restaurant; we had both dinner and breakfast here. This was one of the more reasonably priced hotels in the area, it had good reviews, so we booked it. Our first room was on the 10th floor, but after discovering that our TV was not working, we were transferred to the 8th; the staff was very helpful and understanding and they helped move our bags, etc.. to the new room.

The hotel did not appear outdated or old to me, and all the amenities required were there. Bar, hair dryer, robes, slippers, breakfast was included, etc...

Room Tip: Business class rooms were larger and contained espresso machines and some additional amenities. Tent...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and also for this delightful review with the other travelers.

We pride ourselves for the Yes I Can-service we offer and I am glad to see that though there was an issue with the TV our team was able to provide a quick and satisfactory solution for the problem. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with our rooms and the extra amenities we offer in the Business Class. The Business Class is indeed a great way to pamper yourself and it is offer more space than the standard rooms which is often necessary when travelling with a lot of luggage. We greatly appreciate the kind comments also about our Portman Corner Restaurant and the Super Breakfast Buffet and I am sure that the team will be delighted.

We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you soon again.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here this past week for two nights. The location is good. It is near Oxford Street, but a couple of blocks off so it was not noisy. It is also about a mile from Paddington Station where you can take the train to Heathrow. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Water pressure for the shower was lacking. The restaurant served a hearty breakfast with plenty of choices. I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this truly heartwarming review in TripAdvisor.

It was my pleasure to read such a delightful feedback regarding our team and I will definitely share your lovely comments with the whole team. I absolutely agree that our Super Breakfast Buffet is just what you need to start your busy day and with our great beds you will always have a good night sleep. The location of the hotel is indeed ideal for sightseeing as we are close to the main sights, tube stations and the shops on Oxford Street.

I am hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel soon again and please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Staff was excellent -- friendly and helpful. Comfortable room, bed just right. Loved the breakfast -- lots of choices. The quiet neighborhood we wanted, but close to tube, shopping and restaurants. Would stay there again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such this truly heartwarming review in TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We strive to make our guests feel welcomed and appreciated and I couldn’t be happier to hear that we have succeeded in this. I am pleased to see that you like our beds and appreciated our central location. The location is indeed quit and tranquil though we are just a short stroll away from the busy Oxford Street.

We hope to welcome you back soon again and please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can help you with.