“Beware of website description”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #434 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beware of website description”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked a junior suite as the teenager was competing and staying in the same room. Grandparents were staying in a standard room. Arrived at 3.30pm Standard room not ready so invite to take tea and wait. Description on web site for Junior suite said the following: "Junior Suites offer a roomy, classic haven after a busy day in the city. They include a separate lounge area with television and a designated dressing area". Well their idea of separate lounge area is different to mine as the room looked like a standard Hilton room. Went and complained and after a lot of Iffing and butting they did upgrade us all to the penthouse but then when house-keeping came to make up bed for teenager wouldn't do it until we agreed to pay so had to phone reception again to sort out. Lots of hassle although the receptionist was very helpful but would NEVER stay at a Radisson again as this has put us off.

Room Tip: Rooms are VERY small. Penthouse was nice but wouldn't pay full price for it - in the end when th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with feedback.

It is disappointing to read that the room was not how you pictured it based on the room description and high expectations and left you with an overall negative impression.

The room description of the Junior Suite offers correct information as the room is greater in space than lower category rooms and offers the listed additional facilities but is different to the one-bedroom suite. Unfortunately, due to the land space avaliable in this high demanded location, the rooms are not as spacious as is expected at times. The exact size of the rooms and suites can be found on our website as we do ensure all the information provided is accurate, trying not to disappoint upon arrival.

I do apologize that you were left frustrated due to the situation with the extra bed but hope that you may reconsider staying with us again when you are next in London for competitions, shows or simply to get away. I would hope that if we do have the pleasure to host you again, please know that the team and I would personally like to see that your next stay is more enjoyable from start to finish. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Kind regards,

Marc Garrett
Guest Relations Manager
+44 (0) 207 208 6000
marc.garrett@radissonblu.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 11,623 helpful votes
Reviewed 13 June 2014

i stayed 5 nights with this hotel from 5 to 10
i have a membership with them i asked for up grade my room they charge 40 per night extra
also i gave one of the duty night manager some thing for my friend who came with his family
and they did not delivered the item for him
in check out they refunded me my extra charge because i discovered that many people took upgrade
without paying extra

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bnghanem
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am displeased to learn you felt let down by the Front Office team on this occasion. I can reassure you that we have rates for our rooms and set prices to upgrade from one room type to the next. During the days when we have avaliability, we always try to provide a complimentary upgrade as a thank you for choosing to stay with us. Although we would wish to upgrade everybody, due to the time of check-in and the rooms avaliable, this may not happen.

Any item which is left with a clear room number or last name to our Concierge team is delivered as soon as possible to the room number provided as we ensure that guests' items are well looked after and delivered promptly. Please contact me directly so that I can assist you regarding this matter.

I do hope that you do choose to stay with us again when you are next in London. Please contact me if I can be of assistance.

Marc Garrett
Guest Relations Manager
+44 (0) 207 208 6000
marc.garrett@radissonblu.com
North Yorks,
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I am sorry I am a very fussy guest as I travel extensively for my job , and the rooms and service we received on our 2 night stay would not get great reviews outside the UK. Our upgraded room was very small, the air conditioning was never cool enough and the bathroom was tired with bits falling off. The check in staff were quite good, but the breakfast staff were very poor and bordering on unhelpful. Breakfast quality is good and the hotel is well priced for London. Would I go back - 'sorry don't think so'. For this hotel I could use a line from most of my school reports - 'could do better'.

Room Tip: Get a business class room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
RadissonBluPortman, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us.

I was saddened to note that there were several aspects of your bedroom that did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologize for any discomfort this caused you during your stay. We do have different rooms types that vary when it comes to the size, layout and décor and we are always happy to show our guests alternatives in order to match their preferences.

Concerning the issues related to maintenance and breakfast, rest assured your feedback will be passed to the relevant managers who undoubtly will take the necessary action to bring the service back to our standards.

I do hope you will come back to the Hotel in future and it will be my pleasure to take care of your booking personally in order to accommodate you needs. Should you require anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The rooms are too small,also bathroom and room needs renovation.The staff was friendly and experienced,helped us with usefull information.The location is perfect,close to everything.The Wi-Fi in room is O.K,and is a advantage for choosing the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

RadissonBluPortman, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review regarding your stay.

Lovely to read your very kind comments about the staff, I would like to thank you very much for that. I am glad to see that you found our location perfect for your stay in London.

I was saddened to note that there were some aspects of your bedroom that did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologize for any discomfort this may have caused you during your stay.

I do hope you will come back to the Hotel in future and it will be my pleasure to take care of your booking personally in order to accommodate your needs. Should you require anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a fantastic location for all Central London events. We were visiting the Royal Academy which was within walking distance as were Oxford Street, Hyde Park and everywhere we went only a short taxi ride. The hotel terasse was a real bonus as we met up there for drinks & sun shining - so good we had a light lunch on Sunday too. Great breakfast

Dear Guest

I could not ask for more when reading your amazing review! Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you found our location perfect for your stay in London; I also appreciate your comments about the breakfast and lunch, and I shall ensure your feedback is forwarded to the Chefs and Food and Beverage Manager.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me in case I can be of any further assistance.

angeles City
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. It has good and bad points but it is mainly the bad points that one remembers. Location is very good and price is in line with similar hotels in the area. Standard room is very small but is well equipped. First problem is the keycard use in the lift. Mine did not operate the lift immediately and the lift would go off somewhere else making me look stupid. This was very annoying. Next room was clean but I couldn't open the safe. It turned out that the previous occupant had left their passport in there and security had to retrieve it later. This says something about the preparation of the room ! That was not the end of the safe saga. It stopped working and eventually was replaced the following day. Not very good. The free internet is welcome but this went down on the second night and stayed out on my side of the building till about 9am next morning. Then there is the annoying TV system. It kept rebooting itself and going off completely or going to the annoying Radisson Blu propaganda movie. This happened just when I was watching something interesting. The maintenance guy told me this is a problem with the receiver box and it needed replacing. However it was not replaced during my stay. The electrical outlets are all the UK standard 3 pin variety requiring an adapter for anything else. As a lot of guests are from overseas it would make sense that outlets with omni adapters built in be installed rather than what is there. However on the positive side there are USB charging points. There was a delay in getting an adapter as there were initially none available.
On the positive side, the breakfast was excellent. Although overall I do not think I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eagle999
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Although you were pleased with our prime location in Central London, I am displeased about your unsatisfactory stay.

I sincerely do apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the several issues. Your comments have been passed to the relevant Head of Departments to follow up.
I can assure you that this is certainly not a reflection of our usual high standards in all areas.

Although this stay did not meet your expectations, I would certainly hope you will allow us another opportunity to make it better for you on your next visit to London.

Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Pokey room. Booked twin got double for me and daughter to share. WiFi awful. Breakfast buffet hot food ensdible. Went elsewhere to eat and room service food a poor selection after 10.30pm and again not good. Will not be back! :

2 Thank J. P
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with feedback regarding your visit. I am very disappointed to learn that due to issues with the bed type, the Internet connection and the food quality, this caused a negative impact on your overall stay.
I can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service and your comments have been addressed with the relevant departments.

I really hope that we can welcome you back at the Portman so you can experience our usually excellent service.

If I can be of any personal assistance in the meantime, please let me know.