“Great hotel at a great price”

Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London
Ranked #436 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel is kept clean and neat and is in a great central location whethre travelling by car, rail or tube...or walk! The rooms are light and airy and the foyer inviting for weary travellers.

The car park has about 200 spaces and is underneath the hotel but it's quite a hefty £40 charge - they do give offers though depending on the room deal or a direct deal with the hotel - ask them before you book.

All in all, a great stay at a great hotel in the centre of London.

Room Tip: get anything above floor 9 for a decent view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Kewal,

Thank you for providing a full overview of your recent stay with us.

It is greatly satisfying to know that the high standards of cleaniness are recognized and that you found the lobby very inviting.

The location of the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel is certainly well located and is within close distance to serveral key underground and overground stations. The parking located beneath the hotel is a NCP carpark and rates are set by them. However, guests staying overnight within the hotel can receive a set discount upon departure. The team will happily provide further information before or during the stay.

We look forward to hosting you on your next visit. Please contact the team or myself if we can be of any assistance ahead of your arrival.

Kind regards,

marc.garrett@radissonblu.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Hotel in its public areas, looks well presented. Regrettably it needs some serious refurbishment of its rooms. There is a nice terrace at the front of the property and the lounged area is most comfortable.

However, I was placed in 1058, a small and poorly maintained room. The bathroom has blackened tile grit, wallpaper peels at the bottom of the walls, cushions covered in stains... Really rather disappointed.

Some of the reception staff could benefit from some more customer service training....

Location is fantastically central but regrettably, I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Luke,

The time you have taken to provide us with feedback is appreciated.

It is satisfying to know that the location and the entrance were both to your liking and made a great first impression.

I am also disappointed to hear the feedback regarding your room which you stayed in and have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper as this is not something we expect to hear from our guests. I can assure you that the necessary improvements shall be made as this is certainly not a reflection of the high standards that we continously achieve.

The Front Office Manager has been informed in regards to the Front Desk team as we have a firm belief in our "Yes I Can" spirit, the willingness to assist guests with the best possible service to thoroughly delight them. Having been used to recieving great comments regarding the entire Radisson Blu Portman team, those who do not display the same warm-hearted, caring personalities will be spoken to and shall be provided with refresher and re-training courses as required.

As your stay has not met our usual high expectations, I would hope that you will change your mind and give us another opportunity to show you our high quality service and leave your expectations fulfilled. If I can be of assistance personally when making your next reservation, please let me know as we are deeply focused on the satisfaction of our guests and wish to regain your faith in us.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Night's stayed: 4
Room type: Business (complimentary upgrade)
Background for trip: Family visit/reunion

First off, I would like to extend my greatest gratitude towards the staff at the Radisson Blu Portman hotel, London. This is my 12th stay at a Radisson Blu hotel this year, and I have to say that the staff is really the soul of the hotel in a sense that with an excellent staff, you might not really care about whether the view isn't great, or the that the shower fosset is leaking.
At the Portman hotel, the staff is friendly, helpful, present and aware. I haven't seen a better staffed front desk in quite some time.

The hotel is situated great for tourists, first-timers in London and those in the city for a few days. There are several restaurants situated right around the corner (try the indian on the second corner right before oxford street). There is also a Sainsbury's about 250 meters from the hotel. For tour buses, they stop at Marble Arch. For shopping, you've got Oxford Street nearby. For travelling to and from Heathrow you either have the tube at Marble Arch or a quick ride with a cab that will cost you 6 pounds to Paddington St.

Inside the hotel I would recommend a room high up and towards either North or South. The east side has early sun, and the west side is situated by the hotel aircondition fans.
A business class room gives you some extra space and the usual Radisson Blu ammenities. The room that I stayed in had full carpet in the main room, tiles in the entrance aswell as in the bathroom. The bathroom had a stand-in-tub shower.
The minibar is well stocked and you have to register a credit card at the front desk in order to open the minibar.
I had a problem with the minibar at 2 o'clock at night, there was a man at my door ready to look at the problem within 3 minutes, great service.

The house staff readies your bed before the evening when you are out so that when you return from a day in the city, your comforter and pillows are stowed away, curtains closed and all you have to do is slip into bed. This I had never experienced before.

The heating/cooling system in the rooms work great, and doesn't make much noise.
At night the hotel was quiet and there was little noise from the streets.
Room serviced at this hotel is quite something out of the ordinary, they have a variety of western food and also an arabic selection. Tray charge: 4 pounds. They offer their roomservice 24/7, though some items on the menu are only available till 2300.

In the morning, breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant. Great quality all throughout the buffet, my favorite must be the well stocked fruit selection. The glasses for the water could've been a bit larger though, especially for us that drink quite a lot for breakfast you'd have to make a few runs back and forth. Coffee was served quick and empty plates and cutlery was removed from the table as soon as I had finished with a plate. Suberb overall awareness from the breakfast staff, I counted at least 5 walking around making sure everyone had what they needed. Usually at my stays I count 2 or 3 people at the most.

While at breakfast my room was cleaned and restocked. After a quick change the concierge could give us either directions or help with a cab. He seemed to be very experienced and also very friendly. Even when the concierge wasn't available, the other staff members stepped up and helped out, team work at its best.

I tried the health club located on the 2nd floor. It had 2 treadmills, some other aerobics machines, free weights, slings and squat bars. Seemed clean, semi-new. Friendly staff that offer private sessions and you can also get a message (have to be ordered in advance). Towels and water was provided at no extra cost.

Overall, I have to say that yes I had high expectations towards this hotel, and boy were they met and surpassed. I hope that you all continue the great work that you do and keep making future stays for customers as memorable as you made mine and my parents. To you Mr. Garrett, thank you for everything, you really did go beyond my expectations. On behalf of my parents and I, I wish you and your colleagues the very best.

Room Tip: AC unit is situated on the west side of the building. Rooms higher up are quieter + better view. R...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FreGr
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing thorough feedback from your recent stay.

It is such a delight to read that we thoroughly satisfied you on this twelve stay within different Radisson Blu properties this year.

Your comments regarding the location, breakfast and facilities will be of great use to any guest which is looking at different accomodations within the area. As you mention, the hotel is well located for first time travellers and those wishing to travel around the local areas. There are certainly plenty of restaurants, shops and sights to see in close distance with easy access to the theatre district.

It is reassuring to know that the fitness facilities, room facilities and turndown procedure were all to your liking and contributed to the satisfaction of your stay. I am likewise thrilled that the breakfast variety was well received and that the fruit selection avaliable was your favourite.

Your kind, touching words are greatly appreciated and on behalf of the entire team, I am honoured that we were all able to assist you with making this an unforgettable stay. I do hope we shall have the pleasure to host you in the future. Please contact me if I can be of assistance again for your next stay.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Last minute decision to stay in London overnight. Booked through Last Minute Top Secret Hotels, so paid a very reasonable price.

Room was small for a double room but very clean, comfortable and in good decorative order. The only downside of the room was the view, being the back of an air conditioning unit (I think). As we were spending very little time in the room this did not bother us. However if we were paying full price I would not have been happy at all.

Reception was really good and helpful. We had a problem with our TV, and was really surprised when a maintenance man appeared at 9.00pm (5 mins after calling about the problem).

All in all happy with my stay at the price we paid. If I was paying full price my review would have been quite different

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Penny,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased that your spur of the moment decision to be in this area, led you to choosing the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel.

It is a shame that the TV required assistance but it is very reassuring to know that our Maintenance team were promptly able to resolve your reported issue, allowing you the chance to continually enjoy your stay.

I am pleased that even though the room was not as spacious as you initially expected it would be, you found the room to be clean and comfortable, the high standards that we expect all the rooms to be.

Please let me know when you are next looking to be in the area, as this will alllow me the opportunity to assist you with making your reservation and to try and locate a room on a higher floor to make it a fully satisfactory stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel is situated around the corner from Marble Arch. It has a very nice lobby, has very friendly and helpful desk and concierge staff. The rooms are very nice and the hotel has good wifi.
The rooms by USA standards for this type of hotel are a little small for 2 people with bags. It is a first class hotel and is a little pricey when compared to many London hotels. The difference is well worth it. You are getting excellent value. That should not stand in your way as it is an excellent hotel and we will stay there on future visits to London.
The breakfast is cheaper to order at the reception desk, that via expedia or at the entrance to the restaurant. The choice and value are very good..

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank basil H

Dear Basil,

Your thoughts on your recent stay are greatly appreciated.

I am delighted that beyond the hotel being well located, you were highly satisfied with the quality of rooms, wifi, value for money, breakfast, and the team themselves, which altogether left you with long lasting memories of the Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, allowing us the opportunity to host you again on future trips to London.

Please let the team or I know if we can be of assistance when you plan your next trip as we look to continually delight you again and again.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Very good location, clean and confortable room. Brekfast is realy good, but staff a little bit slow. For example, we order coffee, and for 15 minutes we waited.
Easy access to tube station Marble arch, central line.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
RadissonBluPortman, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent stay at the Portman.

I am delighted to read that you liked our rooms and the location. We are indeed just a few minutes walking distance from Marble Arch and Oxford Street.

I have passed your comments in regards to the waiting time at breakfast to our Food & Drink Manager to follow up.

I am looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Daniela Lehner
Assistant Front Office Manager
daniela.lehner@radissonblu.com
+44207 208 6000

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Short stay over for one night, great hotel and very nice location, bed was comfy had a balcony that I could look out to the street. Staffs very nice and frendly. Breakfast was lovely with so much to choose from with hot and cold dishes and alot of you 5 a day to choose from. Would surely visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
RadissonBluPortman, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Rhoan,

The feedback regarding your recent stay is greatly appreciated.

Although your stay was very brief, it is pleasing to hear that you left highly satisfied with the hotel, location, a comfortable bed, the variety of options at breakfast and the service of my colleagues.

We certainly look foward to your next visit and hope to continually delight you. If I can be of any assistance when you look to make the reservation, please let me know as I would be thrilled to assist you.

Best regards,