“A Terrific Stay”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #15 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 October 2011

If you want an absolutely lovely hotel, with attentive staff, wonderful decor and comfortable amenities, the the Chesterfield Mayfair is the place. Terrific for a weekend ion the city, centrally located, a 4 star all the way around! Only wish they had a fitness center, but i really didn't have time anyway!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tfuller52
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and give us some feedback from your stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, the comfortable amenities and especially our brilliant location. Thank you for highlighting the good service you received from our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Oliver

Write a ReviewReviews (3,427)

Reviewed 28 October 2011

This hotel is perfectly adequate. I have stayed here twice in recent times. A little tired and could do with an update, but charming in some ways. My biggest problem is that when you book this hotel through the trip advisor selection non of the prices tell you that VAT is to be added. At 20% that is a big amount, and it makes the hotel seem lower priced than it is. I am sure that when you are selling to the general public you are supposed to advertise the prices including VAT it is misleading. I guess it is in the small print, but on other hotels I have booked through the trip advisor system the price listed is what you pay including vat.

Room Tip: check for vat on your final price
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaggieCWales

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and give us your feedback from your recent stay.

With regards to the VAT charges; the booking was made through a 3rd party website and unfortunately we as a hotel are unable to control how the charges are worded. On numerous occasions we have contacted Expedia directly to have this amended as we agree it is misleading and unfortunately they will not change this. As I hope you can understand this is out of our control and I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please rest assured that for your future reservations when you book directly through the hotel we will guarantee our best available rate and explain fully the details of your reservation including the VAT charges.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

The Chesterfield's location in Mayfair is excellent, just a few pretty blocks from the tube station. Love the street and the facade of the hotel. The lobby and restaurant are very old-style English but clean and lovely. The front desk staff are very helpful especially with restaurant suggestions but the hotel restaurant staff were slow and a bit clueless. Our rooms, although attractively decorated and clean, were very small. There is barely any room to walk around in the room and one of the bathrooms had a shower so small that we just laughed. We paid the extra money for a "double" for one of the rooms but don't be fooled by that terminology of a double, in English standards it means a larger double bed, not two beds like you would find in America. Overall, we enjoyed the hotel but understand American standards are different.

Room Tip: ask questions about size of the room - American standards are different.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that the service from the Front desk staff was good and you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards to your comments about the size of the room, we do have larger categories of rooms; please enquire with our reservations team when next making your reservations to ensure a more comfortable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the near future.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

I spent two nights at the Chesterfield for business and was highly impressed with the experience. The service level was exemplary, my room was lovely, clean, comfortable and quiet (beautiful bed linens and towels as well), and the location was convenient and within easy walking distance of some great shopping. The staff truly went above and beyond to ensure my satisfaction, and the result was a genuine feeling of home away from home with plenty of British charm. I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure and was truly pleased with this hotel. Thank you for such a wonderful visit - I will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the lovely room. Thank you for highlighting what a brilliant location we have, I am sure your fellow travellers will appreciate your feedback. I will be sharing your kind comments with my team about their service, and I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We have just returned after spending 5 nights at the Chesterfield Mayfair. We always stay at this hotel when we visit London. All the staff are very friendly & helpful nothing is to much trouble for them. There is an excellent choice at breakfast & the food is freshly cooked.
The hotel is in an excellent location for the shops & theatres. The rooms are kept to a high standard.
I would reccommend this hotel, we are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear Guest,

It’s very kind of you to take the time to share your positive comments with your fellow travellers.

We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay and that thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast each morning. I will be sharing your kind comments with my team about their helpfulness and friendliness, and I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

I'll admit a negative bias toward hotels without immediate access to outdoor green space.
Give the ugliness of the rooms at The Chesterfield, escaping them became all the more important. The decor is "badly done English" and very tired looking. That said the location is excellent for those interested in shopping and being reasonably close to Hyde Park
The staff is lovely, friendly, efficient and very service minded.
Wouldn't stay at this hotel again, prefer St. James.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests about their service and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel is a traditional English hotel and the bedrooms and decor match this. I am really sorry to read that the style of the hotel was not to your taste. The Red Carnation Hotel Group does have more contemporary hotels such as the 41, which is located on Buckingham Palace Road, which I do hope you would enjoy.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Chesterfield Mayfair, celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. It was my 2nd stay at the Chesterfield, but my husbands first visit to England. The staff were so accommodating, helpful and friendly, we were made to feel very special. They even sent up the most delicious cupcakes to our room as an anniversary treat and when we checked out on the last day they had a lovely card for us which had been signed by the staff. The rooms are kept to a high standard, and the turn down service with a treat on the pillows in the evening is really nice to come "home" to. These are the little extra touches that you just don't find anywhere else. I would highly recommend the Chesterfield Mayfair to anyone thinking of visiting London. It is a beautiful, traditional hotel in a fantastic location, with staff that are second to none. I work as a travel agent and am very discerning about my choice of hotel wherever my travels take me - and this hotel is absolutely at the top of the list.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAK06
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely comments from your recent stay with us.

It is brilliant to read such positive feedback and comments that you have from your time with us in September. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and 30th Wedding Anniversary celebration with us. Thank you for noting the friendly and helpful service you received from all of the staff. I am thrilled that the extra touches such as the anniversary cupcakes, card and nightly turndown treats were so enjoyed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair, your “London home” in the near future.