“Charming hotel in a great location”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney
“Charming hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We spent five wonderful nights in The Chesterfield Mayfair and enjoyed every minute. Located on a lovely quiet street, it is in a brilliant location: an easy walk to shops, Hyde Park, St James Park and Buckingham Palace, and 5 minutes walk to Green Park Station, a junction for 3 underground lines. The neighbourhood was very pleasant and we felt quite safe walking back to the hotel late at night.

The hotel is charming and just as you'd imagine a small luxury hotel on Mayfair should be. The staff at the front desk couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. We would particularly like to compliment the young Australian lady who was just delightful. Our room on the top (7th) floor was beautifully appointed and very quiet, with a wonderfully comfortable bed and pillows. I had read in some reviews that the rooms are on the small side. Ours was absolutely fine and I'd much prefer to stay in a hotel with character and warmth than in a modern chain hotel with larger rooms. If I had to be critical of something, the shower demonstrated the vagaries of old London plumbing, making it difficult to adjust the temperature, but at least it was hot. The dining room was elegant and inviting, with chesterfield furniture, dozens of beautiful white orchids and its walls decorated with many old paintings, all featuring dogs. Breakfasts were fabulous and set us up for the day.

For excellent staff, ambience and comfort, and for such easy access to all we wished to see and experience in London, it was perfect. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and it fulfilled a childhood dream...a hotel on Mayfair.

Room Tip: Our room on 7th (top) floor was excellent, with very efficient elevators.
2 Thank Annejs
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a brilliant review of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the traditional charm of our hotel; we are proud of our location in the heart of Mayfair and enjoy reflecting the heritage and eccentricities of this great area. Our guests enjoy being so close to the parks, palaces and landmarks of London and then returning to the quiet comfort of Charles Street. Charm does only go so far and I will ask our Chief Engineer to investigate the plumbing on the seventh floor and ensure that the shower in each room is in full working order for future guests.

Thank you for your fantastic description of the dining room, our Restaurant Manager will be pleased to hear that you appreciated the ambience of the room as well as the fine selection of food at breakfast. I will be sure to share your kind words with all the team at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and will thank Maddie, our Australian receptionist, on your behalf.

I am pleased that your childhood dreams did come true and hope to welcome you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

Oliver Raggett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Tonight I had an amazing experience at the Chesterfield Mayfair. I came to the bar for a drink and stayed for what was the best champagne I have ever had with food to match. To top it all off I was provided with fantastic service from all the staff especially Antoine and Paul. A great venue which I highly recommend to all.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at The Terrace Bar at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you found the bar to be an amazing experience and that you described our Champagne as the best that you have ever tried. We take time in selecting the fine wines and beverages that we offer here at The Chesterfield Mayfair and I am glad that the Champagne impressed you. I am pleased that you found the service to be fantastic, as our service is something we take great pride in. I will be sure to share your kind words with Antoine and Paul. Thank you for recommending the Terrace Bar and indeed The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel to all.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel for another glass of Champagne at our Terrace Bar.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Perfect hotel if you want to be in a quiet area of London. Close to Green station, Green Park and St. James Park. Excellent service all around from all the staff. Even had sandwiches available in the lounge if you couldn't find a suitable place after a show. We misjudged the time pubs/restaurants close (10:30-11:00pm Monday thru to Sunday)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our great location on a quiet street with great connections around town and that the service you received from all my team was excellent. Thank you for drawing attention to the many options we have for dining at the hotel and if you do want a quick snack in a relaxed location, then we are happy to provide this for you. On your next visit, feel free to speak with concierge who will be happy to share his wealth of knowledge of the area with you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We just returned from our tip to London, staying at the Chesterfield for six nights. The service was excellent and the staff very welcoming as well as helpful. They made our stay very special and left no detail unattended.The hotel is very close to Shepard's Market, a great place to eat. It's also close to the tube and shopping. When we return to London, we will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the superior king and the size was fine for the two of us.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be welcoming and hospitable and I will be sure to share your thanks with all of them. The Chesterfield Mayfair does benefit from a great location, close to the Royal Parks, the shopping districts of Bond Street and Oxford Street as well as many great restaurants around Shepherds Market.

Thank you for making The Chesterfield Mayfair your first choice hotel in London. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Well-located, quiet street, close to services, restaurants, fancy shopping areas, green park tube station. Clean. Updated bath. Fast wireless. Attentive service. Nice big breakfast room. Good continental breakfast or hot breakfast if desired.

2 Thank toughnouggies
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am sure that your fellow Tripadvisor users will benefit from your description of the benefits of our great location, attentive service and brilliant amenities. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the team, especially to our Executive Chef who takes great pride in his breakfasts.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and this Hotel ticked all the boxes.
We had an issue when we booked in January as the web page was misleading and I had thought that I had booked a room that included breakfast, when I received my confirmation, I contacted the hotel to advise that the web page was misleading and I received an immediate reply from the Reservations Manager that she agreed that the web page was misleading and that they would give me breakfast included (£22 per person)as part of my booked rate.
Now that is what I call very good customer relations, problem solved quickly and without any fuss.
Hotel staff are very friendly and very helpful.
Breakfasts are superb with a great choice.
Be aware though that the Restaurant can get very busy at weekends so better either going early or very late, the management did advise us of this in advance so we were well prepared.
Rooms are well appointed and the pillows are probably the most comfortable I have ever encountered.

We will definitely return to this hotel, well worth the money for the great central location.

1 Thank GrandPoohbaH
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you received excellent attention to all your needs. I am pleased to hear that my reservations team were able to respond to your request quickly and efficiently and thank you for highlighting this issue on our website so we could correct it for future guests.

My Food and Beverage Manager will be delighted with your compliments about the service and choice at breakfast and thank you for your consideration for breakfast timings; you may be interested to know that there is no extra charge for taking breakfast in your room if that is more convenient for you.

I will be sure to pass on your brilliant review to all the team here and look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed two nights on a weekend break and from the minute we entered the hotel, the friendly staff did everything to make our stay special. Nothing was too much trouble . We had been upgraded to a beautiful room, with every thought going into what we would need. We would certainly choose this hotel if we go to London again plus delicious food what more could you want.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that my team provided exemplary service to ensure that your weekend break was everything you wanted it to be. Thank you for your kind comments on the quality of the food, my Executive Chef will be pleased to know that our fantastic breakfasts and delicious teas will tempt you back on your next visit to London.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.