“Good Value, Elegant Location”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I brought our 11 year old granddaughter to London for her birthday. The hotel had a very nice gift bag for her upon arrival, We had inquired about a roll away bed for our granddaughter but we were notified that two adults and a child must book a junior suite at the minimum. So we booked a junior suite. When we arrived in our room there was only one bed and no sofa that could be made into a bed, only a very small sitting area with two wicker type chairs. I assumed that they would bring in a temporary child size bed for the evening. When we returned to our room there was no second bed. I called the front desk to ask about this and was told that they thought we could all sleep in the one bed and there was no room for another. I observed that if they intended for us to stay in one bed, that we could certainly could have booked a regular room with one bed and saved a substantial amount. So on our first night, after a long day of travel from Los Angeles, we all tried to sleep in the same bed. The next morning I expressed my displeasure to the manager and was told that they would move us to a different junior suite with a second bed. This room was acceptable. I surmised that our first room was like the "Old Maid" that they give to anyone they think might not complain and then switch if they do complain. If you are booking a room for 3 people who do not expect to be bed mates all, be sure to insist before you arrive that you want two beds. I was worried that Trip Advisor had let me down with this recommendation.

The balance of the stay, however, was fine. The Chesterfield is located across the street from the Saudi Embassy and a block from Berkley Square. We could walk to the Changing of the Guard and some really great shopping. The restaurant is pleasant and serves a delicious breakfast. The lobby is traditional, warm and inviting. We felt like we were entering an exclusive private club every time we walked through the front door. We would stay here again but would pay much closer attention to the room they try to put us in.

Room Tip: Do not book the junior suite with the green floral pattern and the wicker furniture. Do not know abo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HPH360
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you chose to celebrate your granddaughter’s birthday with us and I am delighted that we were able to add to the special occasion with a gift bag for her on her arrival.

Each room at The Chesterfield is uniquely decorated and we pride ourselves on being able to allocate our guests to suitable rooms; I am disappointed to learn that you were not assigned a room fit for your entire family on your first night; I have personally spoken to my Front Office Manager who will ensure retraining is carried out so this incident does not reoccur.

Once settled into your new room, I am thrilled that you felt at home in our comfortable and warm hotel and that you enjoyed beginning each day with a tasty breakfast in our Butler’s Restaurant.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked the Chesterfield Mayfair for four days over a weekend in November. I took up their special offer Mayfair Weekend which proves for some great extras including champagne, afternoon tea and a late check out. The holiday was for my wife and I and our two friends. This was the third year that we have stayed at the hotel.

We were greeted warmly by the staff and throughout our four days, nothing was too much trouble. It is difficult to pick out one member of staff above the others as everyone we met was extremely helpful. Even at our departure we were made to feel that we were leaving our second home and would be welcome back soon.

Quite honestly having experienced the excellent service this hotel provides, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else when we visit London.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tony B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted you have chosen to return to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and that we are your preferred hotel in London. The Mayfair Weekend package is a brilliant offer that really does allow you to make the most of the weekend with a bottle of Champagne on arrival, full English breakfast on each day of your stay, afternoon tea for two and of course a late check out, to allow you more time to explore London.

I am thrilled that the brilliant service at The Chesterfield Mayfair has left such a lasting impression with you and I am glad to hear that the staff went out of their way to make you feel at home with us. I will be sure to thank all the team on your behalf for making sure that you received the best care during your stay.

We are always ready to welcome you at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Great location, wonderful rooms, clean and efficient staff and a real London feel sums this hotel up. I stayed here last weekend with my other half and we had the most wonderful, relaxing stay courtesy of the Chesterfield Mayfair. On the pricey end of the spectrum, but this is London and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angelica N
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your recent stay in our traditional British hotel and that you found us to be in the perfect location. I am thrilled that The Chesterfield Mayfair was the ideal spot for you to rest and to allow my enthusiastic and obliging staff to take fantastic care of you; I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I treated my girlfriend to a London weekend for her birthday and chose this Hotel as it was in a great location and had the old feel about it, plus the rooms looked very individual. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite which was amazing and thoroughly appreciated, they also left a cupcake, chocolates and card for my partner. The bed was the most comofortable Ive slept in! Location is easy walking to Oxford St, Leics Sq, Theatres, Covent Garden etc. Bar was lovely and restuarant looked nice too. Has a real English Edwardian feel to the place and staff also compliment it wonderfully. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuberto

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you chose to celebrate such a momentous occasion with us at The Chesterfield Mayfair and I am thrilled that we were able to make it so special for you. My Executive Housekeeper will be pleased to hear that you appreciated the room quality and indeed that you had a great nights sleep in our comfortable and sumptuous beds.

We take great pride in our service here at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and I am thrilled that my team were able to add to your special occasion with a few birthday treats.

Thank you for recommending our unique and individual hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I like this hotel. It has a sense of old-fashioned serenity and calm amidst the hustle and bustle of Mayfair, the staff are unobtrusive and it's small enough to feel quite intimate. It doesn't have the business 'rush' of more modern hotels but then that's the point. It's not cheap but it is elegant and if you're looking for something a little different, it's worth considering this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank NBLondon

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted that you were able to relax and unwind in our small boutique hotel tucked away in the magnificent Mayfair neighbourhood. Thank you for highlighting how professional my staff are and how they made you feel at home in our boutique hotel; I will be sure to share your kind words with my dedicated team. The passionate staff and the individually decorated bedrooms create a wonderful sense of uniqueness that we take great pride in at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We chose the Chesterfield on my fathers commendation as he has stayed there on previous occasions.
Having stayed in London many times I have to say I was really disappointed. Yes, the location is good but overall we were disappointed with the quality of the service and the hotel is looking tired.It gives you the impression of being on a very old fashioned ship.The rooms were very small and the bathrooms were tiny. At breakfast - the staff continually kept getting the order wrong and to make matters worse when it did arrive it was cold and had to be sent back to the kitchen. The small jam pots had been opened and put back which was very poor as there was no way of knowing how long they had been there. We rang room service to be told someone will ring you back and when the 3 x sandwiches arrived - the quality was extremely poor - not on the bread we had ordered. We took pictures of the sandwich fillings as we were so disgusted with the lack of filling - it looked like a child had made them and for £40 + it was pathetic. For £300+ per room per night staying here was not value for money at all. On a positive note the bar staff were attentive and the pianist was good.
We waited ages too for a taxi on the morning of our departure and overheard a member of staff saying to another - basically you're wasting your time - which once again doesn't give a good impression.

Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Tina W
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Whilst I am pleased to read that you found our Terrace Bar to be relaxing, with attentive staff and live music, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the overall ambience of the hotel. As a boutique hotel in the centre of Mayfair we enjoy reflecting the heritage and traditions of the area and this old fashioned statement is part of our charm.

We usually take great pride in our service and attention to detail and I would like to offer my sincere apologies that we did not live up to our high standards on this occasion. I have personally spoken to the Front Office and Food & Beverage Managers about each of the points you raised and they will be conducting retraining of their teams to ensure that future guests receive the best care and attention during their stay.

I would like to thank you for alerting me to the issues you encountered and will reassure you that your comments have been acted upon swiftly.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Luxurious hotel in an upscale, quiet section of London...just a short walk away from Hyde park and Green park! Room was bigger than expected and exceptionally clean. Breakfast was great and cute patio off of dining room was just perfect. Must visit Tamarind located across the street!! Best Indian food I've ever had!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank houstonls

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that our immaculate, well appointed rooms exceeded your expectations and that our location was convenient for you. I am sure that fellow Trip Advisor users will appreciate you recommending our neighbours, Tamarind Restaurant and their exquisite Indian cuisine. Thank you for your comments regarding our varied and plentiful breakfast offered in the beautiful Butlers Restaurant. I am sure that it set you up for a day of exploring London’s parks.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.