“Fabulous comfort and service”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband booked the Chesterfield as part of a surprise weekend away in London for my 40th birthday. I was immediately impressed by the location and the Reception lobby which was very grand old London! The room itself was very comfortable; the bed divine. Everything was spotless and again the decor was in keeping with what you would expect of a fine London hotel. I loved the bathroom, especially the very powerful shower and we slept very well as it was extremely quiet at all times even though our room looked over the front street.
Breakfast was lovely with the usual buffet items and an extensive cook to order menu. It was lovely to be greeted by name by the breakfast staff and this was typical of the personal service at this hotel. Every care is taken to make you feel welcome and cared for.
My husband had booked champagne afternoon tea which was fabulous. From the enthusiasm of the restaurant manager serving us, the piano player in the background, to the food itself and extensive tea
list (we had chocolate tea which is brewed specially for the hotel and was delicious!) it was indeed a special treat which we both thoroughly enjoyed! We had this in the library which was lovely and cosy but the restaurant and conservatory are equally as nice and we noticed the lovely courtyard at the back which would be a nice area to enjoy a drink in the summer.
Overall, we loved this hotel and didn't want to leave. I hope my husband surprises me again one day and takes me back to the Chesterfield.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us to celebrate your birthday and that from the moment you stepped through the door you felt wrapped in luxury. My Executive Housekeeper takes great pride in providing every comfort for guests to enjoy a restful night and she will be happy to know that you found the room to be perfect for this special occasion.

Breakfast in Butlers Restaurant is a great way to start the day and I am pleased that you had a chance to sample our award winning afternoon tea; the chocolate tea is indeed specially blended for The Chesterfield and is one of my favourites. We take great pride in our personalised service here at The Chesterfield and I am glad that you were made to feel part of our family and welcomed by everyone throughout the hotel.

I hope to welcome you to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have been staying at The Chesterfield for many years now for both pleasure and business and it never fails to please. It's comfortable, stylish, like a home from home and the staff top it all off with fantastic, friendly service. I hope to return for many years to come

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that we consistently provide great service for you on every visit. Our large working desks and complimentary wireless internet throughout the hotel makes The Chesterfield ideal for business guests. I am glad that you have also had the chance to unwind and enjoy the ‘home away from home’ atmosphere.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the kind and helpful staff that you experienced and I am thrilled that we will continue to welcome you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Ok. This review is a tad late in posting but please don't let that deter you from experiencing this Hotel!

Located in Mayfair, just around the corner from Berkeley Square - indeed Charles Street was once part of the lawns of the old Berkeley House - is a very swish part of London. The History of the Street is very interesting and quite long so please go directly to Hotel website and read it there!

The Chesterfield is part of the Red Carnation Group, and this was my first taste. In all honesty, this Hotel had not been the first choice as I was traveling with a 19 year old and thought perhaps the area would be too "Upstairs/Downstairs" for him to be comfortable. Wrong. He was totally captivated by the "Look" of Charles Street and the architecture of it's buildings. Sadly, most have become offices of some sort and the one directly opposite the Chesterfield, on its first floor, has a beautiful chandler which is on view when the drapes are open as is the rooms decorated ceiling!

Yes, I am noisy with no apologies, but imagining 'what was' is all part of the thrill of Travel ….

The Chesterfield comprises three town homes and the entrance retains that look. The Lobby is more like that of a Private Residence and is decorated accordingly. The black and white floors add to the over ambiance and I was quite ready to move in. Reception is an area that is discreetly placed to the right of the doors and is encased in lovely wood panelling. Staff are very professional and yet warm in welcome. Chris, one of the Concierges, is fabulous and I cannot recommend him enough - he has many hidden talents and can basically find you anything!

The Bar is very Old Club and yet not pretentious. Walls are decorated with portraits and the moss green on the fabric blends well with the panelling. The bar is a delight and I highly recommend a French Martani or two! Beyond the bar one has access to a Conservatory decorated with plants and set with tables. This space is also attached to the Dining Room and where Afternoon Tea is served. A Good One! The Dining Room is fairly large and the Breakfast served is very good.

To the right of Reception and down a paneled hall lies the Library - all masculine leather and yet invites a nice curl up with a cup of tea or a cocktail. A nice place to meet friends if one chooses.

Now to Rooms. We had two separate side by side. Mine was quite large and decorated with an antique stamp theme which was very nicely done. A large closet opposite the bathroom. Bathroom was on the large and had a power shower which I loved! The bedroom as a long built in along on wall with a chair and several outlets. A flat screen tv then the windows - which overlook the inner rooftops but not too bad and they open! Then a small table with a comfy chair. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean and fresh. Nephew's the same but a different theme.
There is a "business area" down the stairs when you come off the elevator as well as powder rooms.

All in all, we were very satisfied with our rooms. Room Service is delivered by professional yet friendly staff and there was not a problem in requesting 'off the menu' which can sometime be a problem.

Charles Street is situated in a very good area in which to branch out -

Bond Street, Regent Street, South Moulton Street, Piccadilly, Savile Row and the Burlington Arcade are very easy to get to as are Hamleys, Liberty’s and Fortnum & Mason. A taxi ride gets you a little further to Harrods, Harvey Nichols and the boutiques of Knightsbridge, Sloane Square and the King’s Road.

If you hunger for Green Space/Parks, then a short stroll to the South or West and you reach firstly Green Park - which takes you directly across to Buckingham Palace - as well as St James’s Park and Hyde Park. You can row a boat on the Serpentine or jog to Marble Arch, as well as get to the Diana Memorial Fountain and Speakers Corner. For the horse lovers, ask the Hotel to arrange a ride along Rotten Row! Which we wanted to try but didn't have time for.

Museums abound and should not be missed! And there are various restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel. Shepard's Bush Area is basically a block away and down a street and we enjoyed several pubs and one terrific restaurant or two!

I would recommend this Hotel without hesitation. My only hint would be it may not be suitable for those that hunger for the Bright Lights of The City. But if you want to experience from the inside just what it must have looked like 'back in the day' then come here! Soak in the atmosphere of a by gone era, wish yourself dressed accordingly, and simply Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank inlandgal
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing thorough feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that your stay with us has left such a lasting impression on you and that you speak so highly of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel. The hotel and our location is rich in elegance and history and I am thrilled that you enjoyed soaking up the culture and traditions of the Mayfair area and our boutique hotel.

We take great pride in our service here at The Chesterfield and I am glad that our professional and friendly staff made you feel at home; I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of my team here, especially Chris, who’s talents are enough to rival any West End performer.

The library is my favourite area in the hotel and as you mentioned is the ideal spot to escape to for a quiet drink. I am pleased that you spent time in our atmospheric Terrace Bar as well and that you sampled our delicious French Martinis which will indeed leave you wishing for another.
I am sure that fellow Tripadvisor users will benefit from your detailed description of our room and facilities. My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to hear that you found the cleanliness of the rooms impeccable and that you slept well in our comfortable beds.

Room service is a great option for those who want to dine from the comfort of their own rooms and it gives me great pleasure to learn that your dietary requests were catered for and that you felt well looked after by my wonderful team.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel is set in a quite side street in an exclusive area a short walk from Picadilly and Green Park underground station. The rooms are a reasonable size for a city centre hotel and quiet and comfortable but we were a bit warm overnight but that might just be because I didn’t adjust the heating/ air conditioning correctly. The hotel does have a gentleman’s club style environment and the décor may be dated in some of the areas but it has charm and the dining area/ breakfast room is 70’s style that is now in danger of becoming retro chic. I didn’t try the restaurant so can’t comment on the food but the breakfast was excellent with all the choices you would expect. I liked the bar with its leather armchairs and with its pianist as the grand piano. The staff are friendly and the service is impeccable. Overall it’s certainly not cheap but the cost isn’t outrageous for a central London hotel where prices are typically high. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hamilton338

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location was ideal for you, away from noise on a quiet street, yet close to three major tube stations, Green Park, Piccadilly and Bond Street. I am thrilled that you felt that the hotel has a club like feel to it; we enjoying creating a ‘home away from home’ atmosphere for our guests here. Our cosy Terrace Bar is an ideal spot to sit and relax with a drink and I am glad that you were able to unwind in our comfortable armchairs and listen to our resident piano player.

Thank you for kind words regarding the caring staff that you encountered and I am delighted that they added to the overall experience of your stay.

I look forward to you joining us again at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We've already stayed in two other Red Carnation hotels and totally enjoyed ourselves every time but this hotel was that little bit extra special. It has a real welcoming atmosphere with warm, friendly staff who gave an excellent service throughout our stay. Our room was very comfortable and breakfast was great too. We were within easy walking distance to the Palace, Piccadilly Square and Oxford Street. Overall definitely one of the best hotels we've stayed in. Recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that as a regular guest at Red Carnation hotels, we exceeded your expectations.. We enjoy creating a friendly and cosy atmosphere here at the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed the warm feel throughout the boutique hotel.

Thank you for highlighting our ideal location with Buckingham Palace, Oxford Street and Bond Street all within a short distance to the hotel. My Executive Housekeeper will be happy to hear that you found the rooms to be impeccable and that you had a great night’s rest in our comfortable beds. I am pleased to learn that the care and attention the staff has shown to you has earned The Chesterfield the title of one of the best hotels that you have ever stayed in.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a week long stay here. The hotel is conveniently located in mostly residential Mayfair yet close enough to walk to Kensington, Picadilly Circus, Trafalger Square, even all the way to St. Pauls and the Tate Modern. Our rate was very fair and included free wifi and breakfast. The room was a bit small, but well furnished and very comfortable. The staff took good care of us from start to finish. If you are looking for a smaller hotel with a personal touch, I don't think you can beat the Chesterfield Mayfair!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 8069sa

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing great feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your week long stay with us and that you found us to be in a perfect location, with many of the wonders London has to offer within easy walking distance of the hotel. We understand how important internet access is and I am glad that you made use of the complimentary WiFi offered to all of our guests through out the hotel. We pride ourselves on our service here at this boutique hotel and I am thrilled that you appreciated the staff ensuring that your stay with us was special and memorable from the time you were welcomed by our friendly door man to the time you left.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of Mayfair and worth the little extra you may pay over other hotels in the city. The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped, the staff all very helpful and attentive, breakfast was great as was our special afternoon tea.
It is close to the centre of town and St James' park/Buckingham palace. We would certainly be very happy to go back for a weekend visit.
Thank you to all the staff for making us so very welcome.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauljoem

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay and that you were glad you chose to stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel. Thank you for highlighting our spotless rooms that are well stocked with every amenity you may need. My Restaurant Manager will also be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea in Butlers Restaurant and that you found the breakfast was varied and plentiful.

We take great pride in our service and the training of our staff and I am glad that you appreciated our experienced and friendly staff, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of my team here.