“Wedding weekend!”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,073 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We can't thank the staff at the Chesterfield enough for an amazing stay for our wedding weekend. We were looked after so well, with really fun staff, great service with lots of suppliers turning up on the morning of the wedding. The porters were great helping with some last minute wedding bits! We loved every minute and we felt very well looked after thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you chose to stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair for your wedding celebrations and I am glad that we were able to add to the occasion. We take great pride in our service here at The Chesterfield Mayfair and I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and willing to help your special day go smoothly. I will sure to pass on your thanks to all of my team here.

Congratulations on your marriage and I look forward to welcoming you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Chesterfield Mayfair

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I recently spent three nights at this hotel. Very charming staff ( very "British") and in a great area. Unfortunately the room was very small as was the bathroom. There are other hotels in London for approximately the same price with much larger more contemporary rooms, perhaps not as charming but more comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 174scottm211

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly and that they made sure you felt right at home with us. Whilst I am pleased to learn that you found the decor of our rooms to be charming, I am disappointed to read that the room did not meet your expectations. As a boutique hotel we have a variety of room categories and layouts, I would highly recommend contacting our reservations team directly when planning your next visit and they will be able to match you with the best room for your requirements.

I am glad that you found the hotel's location so convenient for you and I do hope to welcome you back to The Chesterfield in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband & I are in our 60s & have been traveling in Europe since we were in our 20s. I'm American & he's British. From time to time we have a splurge & stay in a 4 star hotel. We decided to stay 3 nights at the Chesterfield, which is our favorite London hotel. Unlike some other up-scale places the staff here is efficient, friendly & even chatty, especially when they're not busy. The hotel is in the safe & exclusive Mayfair neighborhood close to Oxford Street, Picadilly & the Green Park tube station. The exterior is cheery with a red canopy over the front door & pots of geraniums. Inside the decor is Georgian in some areas & Victorian in others--old-fashioned, but in a good way. They have an impressive British-style lobby like out of a Masterpiece PBS series. If you go on their website they offer Internet specials that help save money, but the room rate is well above most people's travel budget. The guests were a mixture of nationalities, but some were Americans traveling with their children.

Most people get the buffet breakfast included with their room, but this trip we choose not to. Instead we took a short walk to the local Sainsburys & picked up yogurt & fruit. We tried lunch at the Chesterfield the first day. I had pea soup, a fantastic, fresh Cobb salad & wonderful multi-grain bread with honey produced by the hotels own bees on the hotel roof, followed by an elegantly served cup of chocolate-flavored tea. The 2nd day we had High Tea in the Conservatory instead of lunch. Lots of goodies--sandwiches, scones & desserts plus more tea. This time I tried the flower tea that "blossoms" inside a glass teapot. 3rd day we had the Dover Sole Meuniere with delicious veggies in the dining room for dinner. We also had drinks in the cozy piano bar after a long day of art galleries. All the wait staff were efficient, detail conscious & very friendly.

Our room was small but clean, the beds comfortable, marble bathroom & the decor was Victorian style. No detail was overlooked--good quality Fragonard toiletries, note pads, stationary, fluffy towels, free bottled water, wifi, newspaper, cable TV, etc. The only downside was the noise from surrounding buildings where they were having loud parties.

Room Tip: Hard to say. Been there twice & liked both rooms, however the bath was bigger in the 1st room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sherrychicago
Oliver R, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and that we have earned the title of your favourite hotel in London. It gives me pleasure to know that our central location was perfect for all the landmarks of London and that you loved returning to our cheery hotel after your day exploring.

As a boutique hotel created from a row of 18th century townhouses, we ensure that each room has everything that you will need and I am glad to hear that you found the bed comfortable and the bathroom well laid out. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail here at the hotel and I am glad that you appreciated our fluffy towels, stationery complimentary Wifi and daily newspaper.

My Executive Chef will be happy to learn that you joined us in Butlers Restaurant for both lunch and afternoon tea and that you found the food to be delicious, especially our famous Dover Sole. It gives me great pleasure to read that my staff made you feel welcome and provided for all of your needs during your time in London and I will be sharing your kind words with everyone here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Chesterfield Mayfair.

We had one hiccup at the start - we asked for a quiet room in our reservation. We arrived early and our room was not ready so we were offered a room facing a courtyard which we were told would be quiet. The first night (Friday) there was a party in the courtyard and it was noisy but not too bad. A note from hotel management was left in our room to let us know in advance - thoughtful. The next night there was live music that was very loud from the courtyard area. No note this time so we called the front desk and they told us that there was an event/party in the adjacent building. They said they had asked the music to be lowered and that it should end by 10 PM. It was already almost 10 PM but we waited a bit. When there was no sign it would stop or lower in volume (the music drowned out the TV in our room), we called the front desk again and asked to be moved. The response was that it was generally only on weekends, but that wasn't really helpful and we didn't want to risk there being more events during the week or the following weekend when we would still be there so we again asked to be moved. They found a similar room (in the same hall as the room we were initially supposed to be in), no view (over the air units) but at least quiet. As we walked to the new room, we could hear the music through the halls of the hotel. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a bit inconvenient to have to repack, move and unpack, and we were disappointed that we were told the courtyard room would be quiet when it is known that parties are regularly held next door.

Otherwise we enjoyed our stay. As others have noted, the location is in lovely Mayfair and is very convenient to the Tube, parks, shopping, museums and other sites. The hotel is on a nice small street with little car traffic. We were in a superior King room - we know hotel rooms in Europe are often smaller than those in the US/N. America, and thought the smaller/standard room would have been too small. The superior King was not large but fine for us. The air conditioning worked well in our room.

The reviews we have read rave about the service and staff. We thought the staff was very friendly and service oriented, but not extraordinary relative to other hotels we have stayed in other cities/countries. Perhaps our view is a bit colored by the noisy room issue - that we were given a room that faced onto an event space known to host parties after specifically requesting a quiet room and we had to affirmatively ask twice to be moved to another room. Nevertheless, we did find the staff generally friendly and responsive, just not exceptionally more than we have experienced at other hotels.

A few additional notes:
The coffee/tea service with french press, teapot and cookies in the room was a nice touch (the coffee was good and strong). After a long day out it was very nice to come back to the room and relax with a cup of tea and cookies. The bottled water was appreciated as well.

Turn down service - a nice touch that is sadly becoming less common. They leave different things on your pillow, a chocolate covered wafer cookie, bath salts, small facial mist.

Maid service - seemed to reach our room later in the day. Some days we went out for breakfast, would come back around 10:30 - 11 and the room was still not made up, even when we hung the sign for maid service on the door.

Hot water - if your room has separate knobs for hot and cold, the hot gets really hot quickly. There is a warning note in the hotel information book in the room, but I didn't see that before my first shower. Our bathroom was quite small.

We went out very early one morning (before 6 AM) and there were warm pastries and coffee offered in the lobby. We didn't see it any other morning so guessed it might be for guests leaving before breakfast was available in the dining room, but not sure.

After we returned home, we received a note that we would be receiving a subscription to Travel & Leisure magazine because we stayed at a Red Carnation hotel. A nice surprise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard may be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and I hope that you had an enjoyable weekend.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you found our Mayfair setting convenient during your stay and that you were able to navigate London with ease from our central location. I am sorry to learn that on this occasion you were disturbed by noise from our neighbours; I have personally spoken to my Reception Manager to ensure further training is carried out so the difficulties that you experienced do not reoccur.

I am delighted that you appreciated the tea and coffee making facilities in your room, as well as the added touch of turn down every evening for all of our rooms. Breakfast is served in Butlers Restaurant midweek from seven am and for our early risers we have tea, coffee and pastries available in the lobby complimentary which I am glad you were able to take advantage of.

Whilst I am glad to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, I would once again like to apologise for the noise distruption you experienced during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is the first time I and my family having a traditional British afternoon tea. The service is really great. All the waiters are young, polite and extremely friendly. Even though the hotel is heavily filled with history and tradition,you can tell that those young waiters are passionate about their job, and more importantly are proud of their dinning tradition.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your afternoon tea experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you chose The Chesterfield Mayfair for you first ever experience of afternoon tea and that you greatly enjoyed the British tradition. I am delighted that the staff were able to add to the occasion and that their passion and enthusiasm helped make it a memorable visit for you.

We look forward to you joining us again at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a five night stay at this amazing hotel. The hotel is immaculate and the room was lovely. We were treated like royalty and any requests were taken care of in a matter of minutes. We want to thank the manager, Oliver Raggett and his entire staff for taking such good care of us!!! We will definitely return to the Chesterfield Mayfair upon our next trip to London.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to provide this fantastic feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at The Chesterfield Mayfair and that you felt well looked after during your stay. My Executive Housekeeper will be thrilled to hear that you found the rooms immaculate and that you appreciated the high standard of decor. It gives me great pleasure to know that our family run hotel has left such an impression on you and that you experienced the warmth of The Chesterfield family in our traditionally English boutique hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all of my team here.

I hope to welcome you again to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014

After hours spent researching various hotels for our 5 night London stay, we decided that the Chesterfield Mayfair offered everything we wanted in a hotel - wonderful boutique size, superb location for accessing all that London has to offer (as outlined by the reviewers below), a quiet street without loud commercial activity infringing on a person's sleep, and the lovely ambience of Mayfair itself. We could not have made a better choice. The Chesterfield is lovely, as are the wonderful people who work there. From the doormen, to the reservation desk, to the concierge staff, to housekeeping, the wonderful people in the restaurant and everyone else, they were so friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful. After returning to the hotel in the afternoons or evenings, we were welcomed back as though part of the family. Truly a wondeful experience. There is a 100% chance we will return, hopefully very soon, and I will be recommending this excellent hotel to anyone I know of heading to London. Our stay could not have been more delightful.

Room Tip: Each and every room is individually decorated and all that we saw had their own personalities. Some...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vieuxcarre

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing thorough feedback of your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted to read that your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair has left such a lasting impression on you and that you speak so highly of your time with us. We love to create a warm and cosy atmosphere in our boutique hotel and I am thrilled that you felt part of our Chesterfield family during your stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting the hotel’s location; tucked away in a quiet corner in Mayfair, yet within walking distance to many of the main London sights. We take great pride in our service here at The Chesterfield and I am glad that our professional and friendly staff made you feel at home; I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of my team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.