“Outstanding!”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #12 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Booked this wonderful hotel for a weekend break in December - from the moment my wife & I arrived we were treated like royalty. I had booked the hotels "weekend package" which included a bottle of champagne and complimentary afternoon tea. To our surprise and utter delight we were upgraded to a suite. The standard of the room was exceptional and all that you could need was provided.

Dinner at Butlers was a quality experience and throughout our stay the staff were extremely helpful, courteous and professional. For a real "treat" would recommend this hotel whole heartedly.

Luxury at its best!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pclarkBerkshire
Write a ReviewReviews (3,365)

Reviewed 28 December 2008

Together with our daughter and our son-in-law, my husband and I spent an absolutely lovely long weekend at the Chesterfield Mayfair. Staff is extremely friendly, the rooms are charming, breakfast is generous and Afternoon Tea in the Conservatory splendid. You can spot the red carnations everywhere, they are a beautiful decoration. We had such a good time with you and we will certainly return to spend another unforgettable weekend at your hotel, a real gem!

Adrienne Flück

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank globetrotterBern
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Wow, this is the most amazing hotel, I almost don't want to review it to let the secret out, but its such a great find that it deserves every success it has coming.

I arrived at 7am on Christmas morning after the hell trip from Australia. The lovely man at the desk informed me that the single room I had booked was not available so early but that it was not a drama, he upgraded me to a double room and led me upstairs immediately. First, the technicalities: I booked on the hotel website, the weekend package, a single room. This cost 115 pounds a night plus tax, and included breakfast, a bottle of champagne on arrival, afternoon tea on one day, 6pm checkout, and various other things that are not advertised, as I found out along the way: free internet (both wifi and cable), complementary bottled water in the room, the ability to have your breakfast served in your room instead of the restaurant, a newspaper daily, lovely fresh apples scattered around the hotel, tea and coffee in the room, sherry in the foyer... This is a very very classy boutique hotel - the fact that all of these things are included in the room rate rather than one feeling constantly 'nickel and dimed', is exactly what a hotel should be. Along with the wonderful warm welcoming hotel staff, and the high standards of cleaning and furbishments generally, it made for a truly blissful stay.

I have read some negative reviews of this hotel on this site but having now stayed here myself I would be inclined to attribute these more to the writers than to the hotel. for instance, some might say, looking out of the window to my room, that the view is bleak - down below are air conditioner fans. But if you look up you see an incredible view of regency roof lines, its amazing at dawn and dusk, to see the horizon over such a view. And the rooms are no doubt small - as are all old hotels in England and Europe generally - but rather than finding this a negative, I find it charming and amazing at how they have managed to make so much space available in such a small room - its really incredible.

other things I noticed:

the bed is blissfully comfy - firm but squishy at the same time. and the pillows are easily the most comfortable I have ever slept on and I have asked for the brand so I can try and track them down myself. There is a turn down service each night which is a lovely treat. They ask you to choose between feathers or not, and between duvet and blankets. the linens are top notch - deliciously crisp and yet soft and beautifully monogrammed. As are the towels, so thick and thirsty and soft. and the bathrobes...

Instead of dumping your paper on the floor each morning, it is placed in a canvas bag and hung from the door knob - I am sure that that attention to detail is appreciated by the older guest who finds bending down a challenge.

the water pressure is amazingly strong - and wonderfully hot.

there is a safe (digital, free) in the wardrobe which was the right size for my powerbook although I never felt the need to lock it away and just used it for my passport and jewellery.

the location! I have never stayed in Mayfair before and now I can not understand why not - its a ten minute stroll to Regent Street to the right, ten minutes up the road to Oxford Street, 5 minutes below to Piccadilly, and five minutes in the other direction to Park Lane. Everything you could want right on your doorstep!

the ability to have the breakfast included in your roomrate, served in your room, is just a really special treat. I have never stayed anywhere where that was the case, and being able to eat brekkie in your PJs while reading the paper, instead of having to get dressed first, for me, makes a holiday. hurruh!!

So, to me this hotel is an amazing find and it is very hard to leave. I am staying at one of the sister hotels (the one near the palace) at the other end of my trip, and am slightly concerned because I now have such high expectations!!

OK, I must stop raving and actually go check out!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank emah
Reviewed 27 December 2008

We booked two rooms for a 4 night stay, just prior to Christmas. My wife and two children (18 and 22) The hotel is located in Mayfair and is so convenient for Oxford Street, West End, Hyde Park The service was excellent and the staff very, attentive and respectful. It was like steeping back in time when tradition and values mattered. We all enjoyed the full breakfast and afternoon tea. My wife can only eat gluten free food, which the chef aways provided and which was always to the highest standard. I would recommend this hotel as a throughly English establishment, which provides super service, in a great location

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Visited this so British and stylish hotel for afternoon tea. Would have been great to stay too! Wonderful light scones and strawberry jam and delightful cakes. The only disappointment being very plain and uninteresting sandwiches. Delightful staff and such a pleasure to be able to sit and chatter and not to be rushed out. We enjoyed the decor of the main restaurant and the stylish ladies' powder room which is usually indicative of a good hotel. We shall be back.

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed in the Chesterfield for one night to follow our office Christmas Dinner there.

The hotel was very much as we expected it, being of a Regency style and with excellent attention to detail.

In retrospect, the hotel probably wasn't the best venue for a lively group in their 30s and 40s, as it seemed the regulars were typically of a more sedate stage in life, and this was reflected in the bar after the dinner. While one barman was fast, efficient, and polite, the other we assumed to have been assigned to the bar from other duties and against his will, as he declined to utter a word to us all night, and met every order with a gruff, reluctant expression. It seemed the fifty or so people in the bar were beyond their service capacity, and at one point I waited over 15 minutes and changed position three times to try to place my order.

However, they did have a reasonable selection of drinks, and those of us who ordered cocktails after our meal upstairs, said they were very good. The meal, although a Christmas Dinner and probably not representative of the restaurant, was a very traditional turkey dinner, and also good.

The staff in reception were very helpful and friendly, reception itself was gorgeously decorated with a Christmas tree and real Gingerbread House, and our standard room was lovely, although small-as-expected, with shuffle-room only around the double bed, but this didn't feel oppressive at all. The bathroom was a decent size, with a walk-in rain shower. The bed was lovely, comfortably firm, and the linen, dressing gowns, towels, etc. were all very luxurious. Everything was perfectly clean, and the hotel well-heated even on the bitterly cold evening we were there.

My only other criticism would be that the English breakfast delivered to our room was only lukewarm by the time it arrived: again, not a big deal, but for such a highly rated hotel, I expected more. Also, the man in the kitchen who took our order had trouble understanding my English, which again, is a minor frustration that I have accepted in many other hotels, but I wouldn't have expected here. I was slightly relieved to see our breakfast arrived as ordered. The fact that our rate included breakfast, and there was no charge for having this in our room, was a pleasant surprise.

So, overall, the Chesterfield is a lovely luxury hotel, but probably more appreciated by those who are visiting the UK as tourists and specifically enjoy the Regency style. I was shocked that they would even employ such an unfriendly barman, but in all other aspects the service was good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We had a wonderful visit to London which included 5 nights in this excellent hotel. Our room was lovely and included all the extras one needs. The hotel was well located, a15 minute walk to Leicester Square, the National Gallery, etc.. It was also a very quiet area. Staff were very friendly and professional. Even though it was expensive, given we were paying in Canadian dollars, it was worth it and probably good value compared to other top hotels.

• Stayed: December 2008