“One of our BEST hotel EXPERIENCES in past several years”

The Chesterfield Mayfair
Ranked #14 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
laguna niguel, CA
“One of our BEST hotel EXPERIENCES in past several years”
Reviewed 25 April 2009

The Chesterfield is a jewel of a hotel well situated in the fashionable Mayfair District of London. The staff is professional and gracious and very attentive in both the hotel and the Butlers restraurant. The decor throughout is lovely and our room was tastefully decorated and spotless. We will definitely recommend the Chesterfield to our friends.

Don and Diana Schlesinger, Laguna Niguel, California

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We couldn't have asked for a better room, better service, or a better location than we found at the Chesterfield Mayfair. The staff was wonderful, catering to our every need with enthusiasm and a smile. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to experience the essence of London hospitality and elegance.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
villefranche
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Having being lucky enought to have stayed at this hotel on three different occasions recently i thought i had given them enough chances to get something wrong,but they came up with the goods everytime.I have stopped looking around now for better deals and will just book here when ever i need to be in London.The location is great for all you need to do in London,shops,shows and dinning.The only down point i have come across and i dont think it will bother most people is the lack of car parking at the hotel which does not exsist and the parking near bye is resident parking only.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I chose the Chesterfield for what I intended to be the backdrop for my 50th birthday celeb weekend with some special friends. The main events of the weekend planned were theatre / Thames speedboat ride and other activities, however rather than just provide the accommodation, the hotel also turned out to be an event in itself. The rather English afternoon tea provided a perfect start to our weekend. The rooms especially the bathrooms were a pleasure. I don't think I've ever stayed in hotel before where you are known by your name rather than a number. On our first day's breakfast, a large table had been reserved so we all sat together; choice was excellent. The location was perfect, a small street in Mayfair, but only a short distance from the shops. The only issue we had was an over zealous steam iron which leaked. When we all left on Sunday, even though it had been my 50th birthday celeb weekend, I think we all took away some special memories and the Chesterfield had contributed in a big way to the success of the weekend.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Westport ct
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I just returned from three days in London with my ten year old daughter. After reading positive reviews of the Chesterfield Mayfair I booked it and was absolutely, positively pleased with our stay there. The rooms are a bit tight but very well appointed in that classic British style and since we were in London to see London we did not spend a lot of time in our room. The location and the friendliness of the staff is above par. We were central to the tube, the parks and a block away tucked into a court yard called Shepards Market is an assortment of pubs and restaurants with a divergence of cuisines. The Chesterfield Mayfair was a delight and a home run with my daughter enough said!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank WestportctTravelerct
Vancouver
Reviewed 17 April 2009

This is a delayed review but I made detailed notes of my travels and well remember this hotel.

The hotel is in an excellent area of the city, but was still a fair walk from a tube station (5-10 min walk).

Buffet breakfast was included, and it was generous with an excellent selection. We were able to gorge ourselves on this wonderful breakfast so we weren't hungry until later in the afternoon. Saves food costs, which in London are substantial. If you need bottled drinks, snacks, or toiletries, there was a nearby Sainsbury's supermarket.

The room was beautiful and well kept. Very luxurious bed. The bathroom was clean and fine, though the bathrobes behind the door were so poofy and large they were intrusive and we had to move them outside. A minor issue, but it just made the bathroom seem more cramped. I also remember that the shower had a *very* high wall, so I could imagine people with mobility problems might have trouble getting in. And getting out was like climbing down a wet, slippery hill. A little scary. The room had a very convenient "do not disturb" switch on the wall. I've never seen that before, though its never a big deal to hang the do not disturb sign on the doorknob if they didn't have this switch.

Our room deal came with included champagne and chocolate. We asked for the champagne to be waiting for us when we arrived home after seeing Les Miserables one night. When we came home (Les Mis was superb), the champagne was not there. We had to call down for it. Not very good service, since we had given a specific request. We also received a free tea brunch, but we found the staff inattentive. I ordered a "chocolate" tea selection, and after much delay received some scones which were nice but it wasn't what I ordered. And then we were ignored for perhaps 30 minutes? We were given no explanation for this, and there were many servers and few guests so they shoud have had time for us. Considering this was a selling feature to the hotels website deal (English tea service), we found the lack of service and courtesy inexcusable considering the posh-ness of the hotel and upscale area. I did complain to one of the servers, and she was very nice and apologetic, and gave me back my tea coupon which we used the next day. The next day's service was fine, so they did make up for this problem.

London hotels are expensive, but this was on the verge of traumatic for a value traveller, considering it didn't really wow us. There are other hotels that would be more value for money. A decent hotel or B&B close to a tube station, and you're on your way.

Overall it's a lovely hotel, but the service was lacking and I am sure there are better ones for same or less money. But it is London, so nothing is cheap. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Having just spent Easter at this hotel I would recommend it to everyone.
We were looking for a Central London hotel at a reasonable price that was clean and of a good quality. I had seen a great deal on this hotel and all thereviews seemed positive. Neither the hotel nor the reviews let us down.
The hotel is central to allow easy access to shopping (it is just off Piccadilly and only 10 mins from Regent Street). It is within easy walking distance to many of the central theatres and Green Park is only 5 mins away which gives a leaisurley 2 minute walk across it to BuckinghamPalace (and then onwards to Westminster etc if required).
The mangement of the hotel at front desk and within the restaurant were as helpful as you could ever expect in any top hotel anywhere in the world. Newspapers provided free to the room each morning.
The room itself was not large but was of a very high standard both of cleanliness and the facilities it offered. There was the usual hairdryer (high powered) and full tea,coffee and hot chocolate making facilities. Lovely towels and individual bath robes. Maid service to the room from turning down the beds in early evening to providing extra tea and coffee was first class.
We only took breakfast in the hotel. Our charge included full English which was very good and again the waiters were more than happy to mix from the various (large) selection on offer. The only negative bit here would be if you booked without breakfast as full english would have been an additional £22.50 - a bit steep.
We travel alot both in the UK and overseas and I would rank this hotel up with the best as value for money and undoubtably better than any other I have stayed at in London either for leisure or work.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple