“Valentine Weekend Break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Australia
“Valentine Weekend Break”
Reviewed 10 March 2006

Wendy and Martin's stay at The Chesterfield Hotel on the weekend of the 10th & 11th February 2006.

This is a very smart hotel, the staff were courteous and helpful. Our room was on the 7th floor next to the lift, and we did consider asking to be moved. (We have a reputation for not always accepting the first room offered!)

However, there was no sound whatsoever from the corridor/lift our entire stay. The room wasn't huge but had everything it should, the bed was very comfortable and we could open the window. There were tea and cofffee facilities and, when we rang for fresh milk on Saturday morning it was with us within 5 minutes. On Sunday morning we reckon they were waiting for our call and it was there in 2 minutes!

The bathroom was small but had an excellent shower.

Breakfasts were very good, with a choice of freshly cooked dishes to order. There was also a buffet which was regularly checked and refilled, with plenty of fresh fruit on offer.

We didn't have the opportunity to try the restaurant, although we did sample a late lunch in the bar and this was also very good.

This is a hotel we would certainly stay at again.

8 Thank W&M-TRIP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 10 March 2006

The service in this Hotel was second to none.All the staff were helpful,polite and efficient and this with the old fashioned ambience and air of quality about the Hotel made our weekend in London one of the best ever.It's not cheap but all the extra touches,such as a demisting mirror in the bathroom,bath robes,and the attentiveness of the staff made it worth while. The public rooms are beautifully presented with wood panelling and red carnations(the hotel's emblem) and the bedroom was very comfortable.We liked the fact that whilst the juices,cereals etc were self service the main breakfast was waiter served so it was fresh and hot.We also had an evening meal in the restaurant which again was superb.We will certainly be going to The Chesterfield again.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 March 2006

Wonderful small hotel in Mayfair, a few blocks form the Green Park underground stop. One block west of Berkeley Square, close to Bond Street, Oxford Street and Fortnum & Mason. The staff was extremely helpful, pleasant and a delight to deal with. Helped with theater tickets, restautrants and phoning. The third time we've stayed there and would not hesitate to recommend it. Moderately expensive.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2006

My 12 year old son and I spent 3 nights at the Chesterfield over the Presidents' Day Weekend. Taking the overnight flight from NYC, we arrived in the morning. While our room was not ready, we went and had a full English breakfast in the restaurant, which came with our room rate. Breakfast was fine, though some of the cooked breakfast items seems to be pre-made, institutional quality, foodstuffs. The restaurant staff was very hospitable and helpful, which characterizes the entire Chesterfield staff. The bedrooms are well appointed; nice sized, although our bathroom did not have heated marble floors. The non-smoking rooms were indeed non-smoking; not non-smoking rooms with ash trays, a uniquely European definition of non-smoking. The hotel is very well located, on a street which leads to Berkeley Square, admidst a number of embassies. The real selling point for the hotel is a staff that really goes out of its way to help.

5 Thank emiao
Reviewed 3 March 2006

My husband and I spent 5 nights here in February '06. The staff was plentiful but not underfoot and a great combination of professional yet friendly. The concierge was everything we expected based on other reviews. Very helpful. Also, the restaurant food was very nice. The only drawback is the potential for cigar smoke, especially in the bar. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chichester
Reviewed 26 February 2006

We stayed at the Chesterfield for one night when we were in town for a party. It is tucked away on a guiet road just off Berkley Square within easy walking distance of New Bond Street. The room was small but incredibly comfortable and well furnished - no faceless chain hotel here. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and the staff were all very welcoming and friendly. We ate a snack in the lovely bar which was excellent and well priced for a hotel in this area. The only downside is the cost of meter parking outside the hotel but this isn't there fault!

We will definitely be staying here again and thoroughly recommend it. Due to it's peaceful location and quiet ambience I would not suggest it would be great for boisterous children!

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank bevldavies
NY, NY
Reviewed 20 February 2006

I stayed at the Chesterfield beginning on Thursday, February 16th, and had originally planned on staying several nights. I picked this hotel based upon the Tripadvisor reviews. I obtained an initial rate of 178 pounds for a non-smoking king room.

I arrived in the morning due to an overseas flight. The women working the front desk indicated I had originally been assigned Room 426, but it was not ready so she assigned me to Room 319. Room 319 was on the street side above the bar and rather loud (I am a light sleeper). I asked to be switched to a quieter room. The manager working the front desk offered to have Room 426 shown to me, which was nearly ready.

Room 426 was quiter and slightly larger, though it only had a queen bed. I told the manager this would be acceptable, and he offered it to me for only 30 pounds extra per night! This would have been fine had it not been the same room I was told at reception was originally assigned to me. The women working the front desk lied and told the manager she never mentioned the other room to me, and he defended her. He actually cut me off from speaking, which was very upsetting; even if I had been wrong, this was truly poor customer service.

It was only after I left the hotel altogether, and had mentioned to the manager I would relay my experience on this website, that he came after me several minutes later in the street and asked what he could do to improve the situation. I was offered Room 426 at no additional charge.

Unfortunately, the room turned out to be extremely hot, and the thermostat did not help. I called downstairs, and they adjusted the temperature which wound up making the room extremely cold. I didn't sleep much as a result.

The next morning, at 7am I checked out and switched to a different hotel, the Renaissance Chancery Court. Unfortunately, the same women who originally checked me in was at reception. She never bothered to ask why I was leaving, but at that point I didn't expect it. The Renaissance was not nearly as convenient as the Chesterfield, but the staff made me feel welcome and the service was consistently high quality.

The Chesterfield has an outstanding location, and the bellman and housekeeping staff were exceptionally friendly. However, given my experience I would never return.

• Stayed February 2006