“Snug twin”

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Snug twin”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2006

I too booked into the Chesterfield after reading the reviews of others on this site. I think the problem with London hotels is that alot of people have booked them for a treat and so it was in my case - a night on the town with my mum before seeing Phantom (which is fabulous by the way)!

Not a sniff of an upgrade - never a good sign I think of a high class hotel if one is not offered if they're not full. They gave us a double to start - now as much as I love my mum we don't want to sleep in the same bed. They then changed us to a Queen Bed which was basically two singles then made up individually, but not with so much as an inch between us. All this we were advised for no extra cost.

Now the bar - how depressing and a lost opportunity. A miserable Spanish speaking waiter who didn't even look up and took ages to take a drink order - dreadful atmosphere only relieved once a young lady took over the running at 6 pm. Hint - don't go to the bar until the evening shift.

As for quiet - yes, it's quiet outside, but the doors banging in the corridor was a nightmare. The hotel needs to add those gizmos that prevent them from slamming, it was like a college dorm.

Maybe we're spoilt, but I'm not sure how much you have to pay these days to stay somewhere great, but it's definitely not here.

Along with the hotel industry's new fiddle - making people feel guilty about having their towels changed daily, the final straw was the £1 for charity added to our final bill. If the company wants to pick a charity and give money to it - do it with its enormous profit. We all pay inordinate amounts of tax and are sick of being embarrassed into contributing to something we didn't agree to.

• Stayed April 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, 26 April 2006
In reviewing what happened with the reservation I found that the confirmation from the website used by the guest confirmed a double bed. The solution was to provide a complimentary upgrade to a King bedded room which had the option to provide two single beds in the room as bespoke twin rooms were sold out.
I am gratefull and sorry for the feedback on one of my bar staff and the need to adjust the self closing mechanism on certain doors. Both observations have been reacted to.
For the Charity donation the company is matching the guest donations pound for pound and the latest toal is £98K for the Starlight Foundation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2006

I took my husband on a surprise weekend trip to London for his birthday, and chose The Chesterfield largely based on the wonderful reviews it has gotten on this website. We absolutely loved our stay at The Chesterfield Hotel! The staff is so warm, accomodating and impeccably mannered. What a wonderful way to start our weekend immersion in English politeness and refinement. Ian at the Concierge desk was so helpful and charming, and Valerie at the front desk was so endearing and sweet. Our room, although a bit small (as is normal in most European hotels), was very tastefully decorated in true English style. The marble bathroom was beautiful, large and spacious. And the breakfast! Ah the scrumptious English breakfast!! I couldn't wait for the morning to go down and have breakfast in their beautifully decorated dining room and conservatory. It was so delicious and fresh every morning we went down. Their cafe latte was to die for. Finally, last but certainly not least, is the hotel's PERFECT location in Mayfair. Mayfair is so beautiful and chic and so close to everything. Plus, the hotel is tucked in on this gorgeous, romantic, winding street. We couldn't have asked for a nicer one. We will never forget our weekend stay in London, and The Chestefield did wonders to make it even more special. I highly recommend it.

8 Thank Cynthia M
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2006

I have recently had the great opportunity to stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel in London on a business trip. But I have to say it felt more like a holiday.
The exterior of the building did not do the hotel justis as once inside you are transformed into a tardis of a building like one I had never had the privilege to step into before.
From the moment the door was opened for me the level of service was second to non.
Attention to detail in all areas of both the rooms and the building itself to the attention from every member of the staff (maintance to front of house) and not to mention the first class food which was served at breakfast, evening dinner and throught the conference itself. The quality of the decor throught the building and including the public toilets and lifts is beyoned belief. Each bedroom was unique although I stayed in their standard accomodation, Ihave to say it was more then mere standard to me. There was sence of a personel touch as if the room had just been chosen for you. The fixtures and fittings within the rooms were a delight and sometimes quirky. This hotel had a very relaxed and laid back feel to it with busy London just outside the door inside was a haven to walk into. I loved the whole experence of staying at The Chesterfield Hotel and I will definitely return soon.

6 Thank paradiseseeker_7
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2006

I recently visited London with a friend on our return trip from Italy and stayed at the Chesterfield Mayfair for 2 nights. The hotel is on a quiet street in Mayfair, only a short walk from the nearest undergroung station and one stop from trendy Picadilly Circus. The staff was very efficient and helpful. The room was small but that was to be expected in London. To make up for the size of the room, every small detail was thought of from a GOOD hair dryer, stationary supplies (you never know when you need scissors and tape!) down to the handmade toffees left on your pillow during turndown in the evenings. The upscale Mayfair area is home to trendy bars and eateries only a few steps from the hotel. I would definatley recommend it for anyone travelling to London!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2006

We stayed at the Chesterfield for 2 nights and it was wonderful. The service is excellent, the room had pretty much every amenity that you needed, and it's in a great location. We found an Easter special on their website, which included the room, one English tea, and breakfast for 151 pounds, and it also included the tax. Not cheap, but I thought a good deal, all things considered. London is an extremely expensive city, so be ready for the money to fly out of your pocket!

The hotel is within walking distance to the Green Park tube stop, Buckingham Palace, and Hyde Park. Very nice area with restaurants and small shops.

I would highly recommend the Chesterfield Mayfair, especially if you can find a package deal. I only wish we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank Kimbo812
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2006

Our family of 3 spent 3 nights here last week, March 26th - 29th. What a treat! The room was tight (a King with a cot), but housekeeping kept it top notch. The bathroom was up to date, with a great shower and tub.

We found all the staff friendly and helpful.

The Chesterfield's restaurant is terrific! Breakfast was included with our room: it was first rate with a choice of food from a menu or a wonderful buffet. Loris the manager takes great care of his guests! We also enjoyed Dover Sole here one evening. It was fantastic.

The Green Park Underground is a 5 minute walk from Chesterfield Mayfair. You can also access all the lovely London parks (near Buckingham) from the hotel for a great run. This is a very safe neighborhood.

4 Thank samsmom2006
Safety Harbor, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2006

When selecting a hotel for London, the Chesterfield was an easy choice due to its excellent value and high ranking on TripAdvisor. The hotel did not dissapoint. After traveling overnight from the U.S., my wife and I received a warm welcome from the top-notch staff, but most importantly, our room was ready for us even though it was mid-morning.

The rooms are small and traditionally designed. The marble bathrooms with rain shower heads were nice, but typically small. Everything was clean and appeared in good working order.

By far and away, the staff is what makes this a great hotel, as they are very attentive and go above and beyond to help the guests. Before we left for Paris, the staff offered to investigate the latest on the student protests to see if we had any reason for concern. (Turned out the stike ended the day before)

Of final note, the hotel is located in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in London. We saw more Bentleys, Rolls Royces, and Maybachs then we've ever seen before. About a block away through a small archway is a quaint area with about a dozen restaurants and pubs. Our only caution would be that London is the most expensive city on the planet, and with the falling dollar it's more expensive than ever. $8 beers and $15 hamburgers are not unusual, so bring lots of money.

Overall, it's a great hotel and we would highly recommend it.

8 Thank L6Traveler